Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
So I like many bought the PowerSupport anti-glare films as they were the only PS offering on the market at launch. The fit is as bad as everyone else's.

I was confused as to why their site clearly said immediately before launch that they weren't going to release films until they had the device in hands to develop while on launch day they already had these anti-glare films on the market.

So I emailed PowerSupport earlier today to ask if I can expect more precise cutouts from them on the upcoming crystal film release. Here's what I sent:

puma1552 said:
"Hello,

For years I have never used any protective films on my Apple products except yours. They have always been exceptional and perfect, and of very high quality.

A few days ago I checked in on your site for the new iPhone 6 films, and I found a note that you guys were waiting until Friday, Sept. 19th to get your hands on the phone before developing products to make sure you get it right the first time.

I was then surprised to learn on that same day that you already had an antiglare film on the market, despite your site just a day or two prior saying you weren't going to release anything until you had a phone to develop it with. Wanting to protect my new phone immediately even though I always get the crystal film, I picked up a set of these antiglare films. Needless to say, the fitment is absolutely horrible. Extremely disappointed.

So my question is, are your crystal film sets currently for preorder going to be MUCH better and of the typical PowerSupport quality? As an engineer myself I understand the challenges of the curved edges, and that is understandable - but I expect excellent cutouts for the home button, ear speaker, and cameras.

Should I expect a much better crystal film or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks,"

I just received this reply:

PowerSupport said:
"Our film is made to fit very precisely so that it doesn't extend over the curved part of the screen. If the film were to extend over the curved edges it would be susceptible to damage from lifting off the screen. It's therefore very important that the film is applied correctly.
Please let me know if you have any other questions."

So I wrote back:

puma1552 said:
"Sorry, I don't think you understood my email; I understand that curved edges are difficult, that wasn't my concern. My concern was the extremely poor cutouts around the home button, and at the top of the film protector.

See attached, that's not even remotely precise; I shouldn't have to tell you this, you guys should know this. Did nobody test the product after they were cut? The home button cutout is particularly terrible. Like I said, I've never used anything but your films in the past and have always gladly waited until well after a product is launched, but I'm confused as to how your website said that you were going to do exactly that (wait to make the films until you had the phone) while the next day I saw these films already to market, and of extremely poor quality. Sorry, but this isn't precise; I've come to expect much better from PowerSupport over the years. Your iPad film for example, is spectacular.

If I am to expect the same quality from the upcoming crystal films, I will have to look elsewhere, unfortunately."

Awaiting a reply. Here is a picture showing how bad the cutouts are, especially the home button:

15127387397_9bc660c7d0_b.jpg

Last edited:

Bauer-uTc

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
I have to stick up for them a bit and say that your placement of the protector is off though. I only looked at the top half of your pic first as i was reading your post. I noticed that the front camera and the speaker grill cutout were not aligned 100% and said to myself when i scroll down the picture its going to be off around the home button to the left which it is.

If it had been placed down perfectly then it looks to me like there would be no alignment issues with that screen protector. I have to say they could certainly have left less of a gap around the home button though thats for sure.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I have to stick up for them a bit and say that your placement of the protector is off though. I only looked at the top half of your pic first as i was reading your post. I noticed that the front camera and the speaker grill cutout was not aligned 100% and said to myself when i scroll down the picture its going to be off around the home button to the left which it is.

If it had been placed down perfectly then it looks to me like there would be no alignment issues with that screen protector. I have to say they could certainly have left less of a gap around the home button though thats for sure.

For sure, it isn't aligned perfectly, but the cutouts are still so crappy that even if it were aligned better by 0.5 mm, it would still look like crap. Even the cutouts on the top are junk, a huge camera hole and that lousy w for the two small sensors at the top? They can (and have) done better.

I got a reply:

PowerSupport said:
"I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed!
I think that if you end up going with our competitors, you'll find that ours are still the best on the market.
Please let me know if I can be of any more help."

What a joke, no offer of a refund or no admission that this protector is poor. These aren't cheap at $18+tax, either. No plans to make a better product, either.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
For comparison, this is what I expect from PS. This is my iPad 4, it's applied about as perfectly as can be and is about as precise as you can expect - you can NOT tell it's on unless you really, really look for it:

15127853438_73b55ae699_b.jpg

15127691719_8a405199a7_b.jpg

15127723980_2393b4ba7a_b.jpg

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Final reply:

PowerSupport said:
We're continuing to test different 'adhesives' for the films to help them adhere to the curved surface and will of course make them available if we are able to produce something better.
In the meantime, we still believe our product is the best on the market.

Whatever, over it. Will look elsewhere.

Bauer-uTc

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
I have to agree with you. The cutouts are far larger than they need to be that is for sure. All i ever used to use when i had my iPhone 3G & 3GS were a combination of their matt screen protectors and their crystal screen protectors. I stopped using them when i bought an iPhone 4 as i had an Otterbox Defender (worst case i ever bought as the screen was marked everywhere when it came time to sell it.) When i moved to a five i could not find their screen protectors in the UK and made the switch to Spigen protectors which i have been using ever since.

I was surprised when i saw your thread as i simply presumed they were no longer in business.

I think a few of these good company's rushed products out so they could cash in on their brand and played it safe with protectors that they new would fit leaving big gaps etc. I hope generation two protectors (if they make them) will be a far better fit. At the moment i have installed a Spigen Crystal protector on my 6 Plus and its not too bad although it does not have a cutout for the front camera although it does not seem to effect it.

3016951e-1ccb-4c93-9e30-e5be190c2386_zps796043de.png

ea81938e-9645-40ed-aa81-a5f8e1628518_zpsaf9387b1.png

572cc34c-ba7c-407b-9eec-1e779dc1c189_zps40781c6d.png

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Spigen sold (still sells?) a screen protector for the Samsung GS3 that curved over the gently sloped edges of the SGS3 glass. I presume someone will have something similar for the iP6.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I have to agree with you. The cutouts are far larger than they need to be that is for sure. All i ever used to use when i had my iPhone 3G & 3GS were a combination of their matt screen protectors and their crystal screen protectors. I stopped using them when i bought an iPhone 4 as i had an Otterbox Defender (worst case i ever bought as the screen was marked everywhere when it came time to sell it.) When i moved to a five i could not find their screen protectors in the UK and made the switch to Spigen protectors which i have been using ever since.

I was surprised when i saw your thread as i simply presumed they were no longer in business.

I think a few of these good company's rushed products out so they could cash in on their brand and played it safe with protectors that they new would fit leaving big gaps etc. I hope generation two protectors (if they make them) will be a far better fit. At the moment i have installed a Spigen Crystal protector on my 6 Plus and its not too bad although it does not have a cutout for the front camera although it does not seem to effect it.

It seems that's the case here, they relied on their brand to sell these but they are junk. I'm pretty irritated that it was clear I was unhappy with the product and they were basically like "Sorry you're disappointed, but thanks for the $18!" and didn't even offer a refund. If they think their product is the best on the market as-is, then I don't even know what to say. At least other companies admitted their current offerings are crap and acknowledged that they need to make better protectors, and in many cases offering them for free to people who bought the initial ones.

I guess for PS that's several hundred dollars they won't get over the next X product updates. Their stuff isn't cheap, but I was always willing to pay it without a second thought.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Spigen sold (still sells?) a screen protector for the Samsung GS3 that curved over the gently sloped edges of the SGS3 glass. I presume someone will have something similar for the iP3.
I remember when they did that. Those protectors were so thin though that even a fingernail could permanently dent it. They scratched super easy too.

Last edited:

greatness

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Shame on PS! After having built quite the reputation for their precision. I have had the PS Air Jacket on the 4S and 5, and just ordered one for the 6.

Is it just the anti-glare film available on the market now? I ordered the crystal clear film on their website and it tells me both the AFP Crystal Clear and the Air Jacket will ship around the 6th of October. I'll update when I get my hands on the crystal clear for comparison.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
I am updating my comment since I generally became unsatisfied. PowerSupport can do better, and they can replace all these rushed screen protectors.

I have to stick up for them a bit and say that your placement of the protector is off though. I only looked at the top half of your pic first as i was reading your post. I noticed that the front camera and the speaker grill cutout were not aligned 100% and said to myself when i scroll down the picture its going to be off around the home button to the left which it is.

Last edited:

phantomsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Wow. Sucks to hear about PS. Pretty lame reply. They were my go-to HANDS DOWN for the longest... then it was SGP (cheaper, comparable quality)... and now with the whole curved screen thing... I don't even know lol. Looks like Ghost Armor's wet application looks the best so far?

If I were a screen protector company... I would definitely take advantage right now and make something incredible. Precise cutouts... non of these wacky openings. Closest to the edge fitment as possible. The top dog spot is currently vacant.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Hopefully the clear screen savor will be more precise if PS doesn't correct the issue their iPhone 6 & 6plus business will. Take a dive

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I agree with this comment.

I placed my PowerSupport anti-glare on properly and it worked out fine. While the area around the home button might be more than you would expect, it can go around it proportionately.

Try again.
Well you're in the minority they look horrendous. They used to be top notch now they look like cheap competitors.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Been using Power support for years - until about 2 years ago. Power support is WAAAaay too expensive and you only get 1 protector (and they stick you with shipping). They used to be the only - and best game in town. Some of the protectors on amazon are well under 10 bucks, come in sets of 3, are free shipping - or dirt cheap - because they come in an envelope, and you can read reviews. I like the opportunity to retry if I screw up an install.

They picked the wrong time to put out a shotty product.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
OP, I don't see where you simply asked them for a refund. Standard responses like the ones you received happen all the time. You have to tell them what you want which you should have done in email #1

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I agree with this comment.

I placed my PowerSupport anti-glare on properly and it worked out fine. While the area around the home button might be more than you would expect, it can go around it proportionately.

Try again.

I think you and I have vastly different expectations from PowerSupport. So my alignment is slightly off, that doesn't erase the fact the cutouts are horrible anyway. Look at the iPad film I posted and then tell me the PowerSupport one is just fine. It's a piece of crap.

OP, I don't see where you simply asked them for a refund. Standard responses like the ones you received happen all the time. You have to tell them what you want which you should have done in email #1

True, but it would've been nice for them to get the hint and proactively offer one in the name of customer service; they never once offered to fix the problem, they just said "Sorry you're disappointed!" and then stood behind this laughable product, going so far as to claim this is the best one on the market. lol.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Good news, PS emailed me today saying they are working on making better films with better cutouts that cover the entire screen, and offered to send me a set when they are ready...good to see them do the right thing here.

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Good news, PS emailed me today saying they are working on making better films with better cutouts that cover the entire screen, and offered to send me a set when they are ready...good to see them do the right thing here.

This is fabulous news. I can finally rest.

bronzini

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Here's the latest from PS:

Dear Power Support Customers,

As long time supporters of Power Support you know that we pride ourselves on our products and we try everything possible to produce only the best. We would like to address some of the issues that are circulating regarding our new iPhone 6 products.

There are some negative reviews and comments about the new Power Support film and specifically, about the dimensions. We want to assure you that the film quality is the same as ever—spectacular! However, we had to make some tough design choices when we manufactured this product and not everyone is happy with our choice. The new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are BEAUTIFUL devices. Part of this beauty stems from the fact that the new glass face has a slight bevel all around the device, giving a soft, gentle feel to the outside of the phone. This new Apple design presented a significant challenge for us.

iPhone 6 screen deimensionsOn the iPhone 6, the surface of the device that is actually flat is only 58.48mm wide; however, the illuminated display area is 58.50mm wide. If we made a film that covered the entire display area then approximately 0.02mm of film would be on the curvature. This is potentially problematic as the film may bubble at the edges and eventually pull off.

This is because Power Support uses a stronger, more resilient, less flexible film material disregarding the higher cost. Some thinner and more flexible films on the market may be able to extend over the curvature, but would not iPhone 6 Plus dimensionsprovide the same protection and quality. We extended the film to cover the maximum area of the screen without compromising the adhesive bond. Our film width is actually 58.28mm wide, just slightly smaller than the illuminated display area. This leaves an exposed area of approximately 0.11mm per side. We felt that having this minimum exposure was a better alternative to having a film that might potentially peel off on the sides.

We were faced with the same problem when it came to designing the cutout around the home button. The lower portion of the home button is actually on the curvature so in order to prevent this film portion from peeling we removed it and arrived at the horseshoe design.

We sincerely thank our customers for their input and comments and we listen and take them to heart. The iPhone 6, although beautiful, has presented its share of engineering challenges. Our engineers are continuing to work on improvements and searching for better solutions to bring you the highest quality products. In order to protect your new iPhone as much as possible we always recommend adding an Air Jacket. The full, four side protection combined with the raised edge will help protect your phone and your screen.

xmastacrackax

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Here's the latest from PS:

Dear Power Support Customers,

As long time supporters of Power Support you know that we pride ourselves on our products and we try everything possible to produce only the best. We would like to address some of the issues that are circulating regarding our new iPhone 6 products.

There are some negative reviews and comments about the new Power Support film and specifically, about the dimensions. We want to assure you that the film quality is the same as ever—spectacular! However, we had to make some tough design choices when we manufactured this product and not everyone is happy with our choice. The new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are BEAUTIFUL devices. Part of this beauty stems from the fact that the new glass face has a slight bevel all around the device, giving a soft, gentle feel to the outside of the phone. This new Apple design presented a significant challenge for us.

iPhone 6 screen deimensionsOn the iPhone 6, the surface of the device that is actually flat is only 58.48mm wide; however, the illuminated display area is 58.50mm wide. If we made a film that covered the entire display area then approximately 0.02mm of film would be on the curvature. This is potentially problematic as the film may bubble at the edges and eventually pull off.

This is because Power Support uses a stronger, more resilient, less flexible film material disregarding the higher cost. Some thinner and more flexible films on the market may be able to extend over the curvature, but would not iPhone 6 Plus dimensionsprovide the same protection and quality. We extended the film to cover the maximum area of the screen without compromising the adhesive bond. Our film width is actually 58.28mm wide, just slightly smaller than the illuminated display area. This leaves an exposed area of approximately 0.11mm per side. We felt that having this minimum exposure was a better alternative to having a film that might potentially peel off on the sides.

We were faced with the same problem when it came to designing the cutout around the home button. The lower portion of the home button is actually on the curvature so in order to prevent this film portion from peeling we removed it and arrived at the horseshoe design.

We sincerely thank our customers for their input and comments and we listen and take them to heart. The iPhone 6, although beautiful, has presented its share of engineering challenges. Our engineers are continuing to work on improvements and searching for better solutions to bring you the highest quality products. In order to protect your new iPhone as much as possible we always recommend adding an Air Jacket. The full, four side protection combined with the raised edge will help protect your phone and your screen.

Atleast they are open and honest about the engineering hurdles they are going through with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.