Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
Any chance to see Fusion Drives on all models for the next iMac refresh? Or will they still be offered only as options?

Also, what's the latest news about likely enhancements? We know there won't be retina iMacs, at least this time. But we should get Thunderbolt 2. What else is certain at this point?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts (I'm considering a new 27").

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
there pretty high chances to see a new 27" 2880p display with standard Fusion drive, 970M and 980M, Thunderbolt 2 etc

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Fusion drives

I never heard or read any negative response to the fusion construct,
so I suppose APPLE has the same input.
And my experiences are positive as well, so .......
;JOOP!

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Tomorrow will make the Late 2013 iMac one year old. Would be interesting to see an upcoming spec bump that re-aligns some pricing on storage, ram, and maybe refreshes GPUs with the latest from Nvidia. Wishful thinking though!

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
The way I see it...

- Low end 'affordable' option will remain, possibly unchanged for quite some time now.
- The rest of the line up will move to Fusion Drive as standard.
- Retina screens for all except low end.
- "The most awesomely-awesome iMacs ever. Y'all."

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
The way I see it...

- Low end 'affordable' option will remain, possibly unchanged for quite some time now.
- The rest of the line up will move to Fusion Drive as standard.
- Retina screens for all except low end.
- "The most awesomely-awesome iMacs ever. Y'all."

And what happens if Apple disappoints you and does not release a retina iMac in October. I am sorry but a retina iMac seems pointless without the iTunes content having yet to be updated to 4k I think i will wait this one out until iTunes store starts offering ultra HD content, by than Apple will do a makeover to the iMac which will make it worthy of an update. Besides i still can live with my wonderful late 2013 model.

omnisphere

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
;JOOP!

Sorry man, but Fusion drive have major issues with audio recording when using DAW and Audio Unit synthesizers. I do not know any music producers who use Fusion drives.

Try to google and you will find many complains about it.

:eek:

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
Sorry man, but Fusion drive have major issues with audio recording when using DAW and Audio Unit synthesizers...
Try to google and you will find many complains about it....

While there were formerly significant DAW audio problems on 2013 Fusion Drive iMacs, this seems to have been corrected in recent OS X releases.

Are you saying it's still a problem, or are you referring to old discussion threads before this was fixed?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
And what happens if Apple disappoints you and does not release a retina iMac in October. I am sorry but a retina iMac seems pointless without the iTunes content having yet to be updated to 4k I think i will wait this one out until iTunes store starts offering ultra HD content, by than Apple will do a makeover to the iMac which will make it worthy of an update. Besides i still can live with my wonderful late 2013 model.

A retina iMac would be a waste without 4K iTunes if an iMac could only be used to watch movies. It is a good job an iMac is capable of so much more.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
;JOOP!

Plunking an old spinner inside with the smallest overpriced flash possible is "Fusion" as in Fusing your brain to something that's near death (for profit) See Fusion in a new laptop or pro? No? OK then.

There, I just gave you a negative ;)
Thank me later

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Plunking an old spinner inside with the smallest overpriced flash possible is "Fusion" as in Fusing your brain to something that's near death (for profit) See Fusion in a new laptop or pro? No? OK then.

There, I just gave you a negative ;)
Thank me later

That's a bit harsh. I have a 2012 iMac with a 3TB Fusion, and it continues to perform very well compared to my spinning disk Macs. Admittedly, Fusion is an intermediate technology until SSDs come down to even more reasonable price points, but it's helpful nonetheless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.