Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CheekyElle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
Hey all. Wondering if anyone else is having this issue. On some apps when I open them I just get a black screen after the initial load.

For instance when I open bejeweled, the studio load screen appears and an ad loads but when I close the ad there is just a blank screen. What's weird is that I can still hear the game audio and if I touch the screen I can hear that things are happening.

Is there something wrong with my phone or the apps? I tried googling it or looking in the App Store reviews to see if anyone has mentioned the issue but no luck. So far it has happened with bejeweled, jet pack joyride, and plants bs zombies just instantly crashes.

Thanks for the help.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I decided to test since you mentioned this. Played Bejeweled 2 on new iPhone 6 without any problems. Maybe you should delete the game and reinstall.

nicki155

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
I'm having the same problem. Black screen but I can hear the audio. I deleted it and reinstalled but the problem remains.

Same happens with Fruit Ninja.

ios 8 sucks IMO. There are so many bugs.

I also hate that the apps that are yet optimized for the larger size are huge and stretched out in odd proportions. Sides are cut off and text is enormous. In some texting apps, I can't even see what I'm writing because it's all blocked by the way everything is zoomed. Why don't they let you run it normal size with black bars instead? At least offer it as a choice. It's made a lot of apps unusable.

nicki155

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
^I'm using the standard view, not the zoom view. But there are apps that are still not optimized for iphone 6. It's automatically making those apps bigger to fit the screen but it's doing it in odd proportions and cutting off the sides or making the keyboard so big that you can't see the rest of the screen.

This happened with the iphone 5 too in the beginning when it was new but that time, they used to fill the space with black bars so you could still use the apps. Now they're stretching them to fit all the extra space but it looks terrible and it's making some apps almost unusable.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I'm having a sort of similar problem, actually the reason I came on here this morning to see if anyone is having the same. When I open some apps, I get a black screen for a fraction of a second before the app loads. It loads eventually but it's still annoying, seems to happen mostly in Facebook but has also happened in Starbucks. I was hoping it was the OS and not my phone. :(

akswun

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2009
I have this problem as well with apps like Fruit Ninja and some apps are just crashing. Obviously an issue with the apps and their Dev's not having updated the scaling and what not. It'll be some time for them to keep up.

This is the problem when you fragment your hardware to different sizes. The developers are going to have fun fulfilling all these different screen sizes in the line up. 4s/5s/6/6+/ipad2/ipadAir/ipadminis.....

I'm gunna go balistic if EA doesn't update Plants Vs. Zombies 2. I have over 200000+ coins! don't want to lose any of it.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I understand now. Yes, I saw that same behavior on iPhone 5 before devs were able to update their apps.

There is a note from the Jetpack dev at his app's iTunes info regarding his awareness of the problem. He's currently working on a fix for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.