Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SCMedic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Interesting how close the rumored 5 was from how the design of the 6 ended up. Some really cool concepts looking back vs. what actually came out this week.

Attachments

• iphone-sj-1.jpg
    iphone-sj-1.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 474

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I think Apple likes stringing people along for money. I except a 6S to be identical form factor then a 7 to be slightly bigger, 7S and finally the 8 which will be a redesign like some of the other concepts.

SCMedic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I think Apple likes stringing people along for money. I except a 6S to be identical form factor then a 7 to be slightly bigger, 7S and finally the 8 which will be a redesign like some of the other concepts.

I actually expect the 7 to be smaller. I have a plus, which is one incredible piece of engineering, but I really feel the sweet spot is 5-5.2" for screen size.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I actually expect the 7 to be smaller. I have a plus, which is one incredible piece of engineering, but I really feel the sweet spot is 5-5.2" for screen size.

I think you have a point. We might see an iPhone mini like the Galaxy mini with a 4.2" screen.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I don't expect the 4.7" to get smaller, just the 5.5". I guess sales numbers will dictate that.
I'd except possibly 3 sizes. Mini with 4.2-4.3" screen. Regular with a 4.8", Plus with 5.5-5.7" for the iPhone 7 atleast. Mini might come out with 6S tho depending on how many people want a small iPhone.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

In theory they could release a 7+ after the 6S+, being about 6 inches, but they won't go bigger than that. They seem to like having about 2 inches in-between the iPads, so I'd assume anything large than 6 inches would not be a phone or fable, but a full-blown tablet.

This is the line up I'd like to see, personally:

iPhone Mini - 4 inches, think iPhone 5 size but with iPhone 6 styling
iPhone - 4.7-5.2 inches, basically what the iPhone 6 is at present
iPhone Plus - 5.5-6 inches, basically what the iPhone 6 Plus is at present

iPad Mini - 7.9 inches, what it is now
iPad - 9.7 inches, what it is now
iPad Plus - 12.9 inches, the rumored display size

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

I think they'll keep the size but trim down the bezels. If they could trim the top bezel in half it'd be perfect.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US

When you have a device where basically the screen takes up 80%+ of the surface, what are they supposed to do? They can't completely redesign the thing every year, it's not realistic. You've got the screen which is what it is, and the rest comes down to what do the edges look like? And I suppose the back, but most people are going to cover it with a case anyway, especially with these larger phones which are hard to handle without a case.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I dont think you guys realize that Apple limits screen sizes so that apps can be scaled properly. They didnt pick 4.7" out of a hat.

We are unlikely to see any screen dimension changes anytime soon.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Interesting how close the rumored 5 was from how the design of the 6 ended up. Some really cool concepts looking back vs. what actually came out this week.

Um, no it's not. This is different in almost every way except one: both have glass that curves off to the side. Other than that, there is nothing between the two phones that is the same.

You should also see that all these mock-ups are always looking back, rather than forward. Note how the home button is still the classic home button, there's no lightning port, there are antenna bands on the side, the headphone jack on the top and the OS is unchanged from iPhoneOS 2.0. Never do these mock-ups try to think of what the *next* phone's features will be, instead they always extrapolate from previous designs.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I'd except possibly 3 sizes. Mini with 4.2-4.3" screen. Regular with a 4.8", Plus with 5.5-5.7" for the iPhone 7 atleast. Mini might come out with 6S tho depending on how many people want a small iPhone.

3 sizes?

People here are already having trouble deciding between the two choices that Apple offers.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
When you have a device where basically the screen takes up 80%+ of the surface, what are they supposed to do? They can't completely redesign the thing every year, it's not realistic. You've got the screen which is what it is, and the rest comes down to what do the edges look like? And I suppose the back, but most people are going to cover it with a case anyway, especially with these larger phones which are hard to handle without a case.

Well I think Apple could have been more futurist in the current iPhone 6 but choose to down it down and give us a front profile that looked very much like the previous iPhones in order to string out the cooler, better designs into the future.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
3 sizes?

People here are already having trouble deciding between the two choices that Apple offers.

I think a lot of the people that are having trouble deciding (myself included) were hoping for something in-between the two offerings like a 5". I have the plus which I love but I can't use it 1 handed so I'm going to go look at the 6 but I'm afraid it will be too small. my nephew has a G5 and for me its the perfect size phone.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
I dont think you guys realize that Apple limits screen sizes so that apps can be scaled properly. They didnt pick 4.7" out of a hat.

We are unlikely to see any screen dimension changes anytime soon.

The scaling issues are issues because of the funny resolution of all iphones except the 5.5 inch iphone 6 plus.

The iphone 6 plus has 1080p, 1920x1080 resolution which is an industry standard, and this can be scaled better in the future.

Apple should have started with 1280x720 at some point, clearly they realised this and now went with a standardised resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.