Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vascofilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
I am interested in adding a dvd burner to my computer the original 400mz G4 desktop. I dont want to pay the $450 for external firewire to burn dvd's and cd's..plus Idvd wont run on an external....some tell me the pioneer is the copatible superdrive but when i check on it i only read about its windows compatibility....whats the deal...can I buy it and install it myself?...I prefer the $250 price tag

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: pioner dvr 104 drive....is it Compatible w g4?

Originally posted by vascofilm
I am interested in adding a dvd burner to my computer the original 400mz G4 desktop. I dont want to pay the $450 for external firewire to burn dvd's and cd's..plus Idvd wont run on an external....some tell me the pioneer is the copatible superdrive but when i check on it i only read about its windows compatibility....whats the deal...can I buy it and install it myself?...I prefer the $250 price tag
it will, just just dont expect to get any support from apple. also you will need to purchase idvd 2 from apple for like 20 dollars.

iJon

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I've had one installed in my mm dual 867 for almost five months now. Works great! I think I paid closer to $350 though. With the Mirrored Macs you have to pop the front lip of the drive tray off to make it fit, not a big deal, more of a pain in the ass.

cheers!

another John

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
from what i have heard, the 104 will work, but i recommed getting the 105, it is faster. and for idvd, there is another one coming out with iLife.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.