Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sola77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I am considering upgrading from my 5, to the 6 Plus...possibly.
I am reading so many threads from men who say it is too big of a phone and it's awkward and I don't want to make the wrong decision.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Go to your local carrier or apple store and try it out for yourself. You'll get a feel if its going to be a good fit for you.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
I love the bigger screen. I just keep it in my purse. So much better for the screen real estate. I'm about 5'3. I find a bigger screen so much better for web browsing, reading texts, bigger keyboard etc.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Actually, the one person I know who got a 6+ is a woman.

She decided that, for her, the 6 was too big to be hand-held and easily pocketable anyway, so why not go all the way? Gotta throw it in the purse either way

She thinks of it as her iPad Mini Mini.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
FWIW, my wife thinks its too big, that's why I recommend checking it out yourself.

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
Love my 6+. There seems to be an obsession with being able to use a phone with one hand for some reason on this forum. That alone is guiding many opinions/thoughts but they are missing everything else you can do with this phone. It is one stop shopping for me as I really don't need my iPad any longer. I can't recommend it enough ;)

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
here is a review by a woman she calls her self small 5'2" you can see how it looks for her using it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkY9F-B1Jvg

I've been finding using my 6 with two hands but her use cases are really totally opposite of mine. I think if you have similar use cases for the phone similar to hers, then it seems a reasonable thing. Also, unless you are a taller woman, the 6 will most likely require two hands for a lot of things anyway but I can still use the 6 one handed for some things.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I went from the 6+, to the 6 and last night reactivated my 6+. It is big, but it stays in my purse anyhow so it doesn't matter that it doesn't fit in my pockets.

Definitely go try it out first before picking one up.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I've been finding using my 6 with two hands but her use cases are really totally opposite of mine. I think if you have similar use cases for the phone similar to hers, then it seems a reasonable thing. Also, unless you are a taller woman, the 6 will most likely require two hands for a lot of things anyway but I can still use the 6 one handed for some things.

Ya I personally have been using a 4.7" galaxy S3 for the last 2 years, I can do most things one handed but usually find myself using both hands out of habbit

I use to type 2 handed on the 3.5" iphone 4 I used also I guess its all based on how you use it, if you are already primary a 2 handed user go big

Kels1007

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Go look at the phones and decide for yourself. Only YOU will know what is too big or small for you. smh

thedavis5

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
I love my 6plus!! As the others have said, it stays in my purse anyway so I don't need it to fit in my front pocket. I still can slide it in the back of my jeans pocket, too.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
My wife has a 6 Plus and she thinks it's perfect. She wanted a Note a year or so ago but didn't want to deal with Android again, so when this one was announced she was all over it. When we're on the go she can just throw it in her purse, so pocketability really doesn't matter for her. Add in that she's never really been a one-handed user it and makes even more sense for her to have the bigger screen and battery.

zetti

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2012
That video just reinforces my love for the 6 plus and i've yet to get mine yet!

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I bought my petite gf an 6 plus and she loves it. She didn't use the 5 one handed so not a big deal. Neither will fit into those non functional pockets on those skin tight pants anyways.

Prolif1k

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2009
My fiancee got the 6 Plus on Friday and she absolutely loves it so far. She is 5'1". I was more worried than she was that it may be too unwieldy for her, but she is already pretty used to using it!

Everyone has different opinions on how they feel about it, but there are definitely small girls out there who enjoy the bigger phone.

Jane333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
Michigan USA
here is a review by a woman she calls her self small 5'2" you can see how it looks for her using it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkY9F-B1Jvg

thanks for posting this! I am (not so) patiently awaiting the arrival of my + on October 10ish and was wondering if I should change my order to a 6 so I can get it right away. This convinced me to hold tight. I use two hands for my 5, anyway. The only awkward thing will be phone calls, but I make most of those in my car through blue tooth anyway.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm tall but have small hands, and I love my 6 Plus. I always use my phones two-handed and carried them in my purse anyway, so I figured go big or go home! The screen size is fantastic for browsing, watching videos, etc.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
My sister and I both have the 6+ and love it. I put the phone in my purse most of the time.

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2009
US
Female here - 5'5" with pretty small hands...and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my iPhone 6+. I was actually hesitant after the first review came out (back when the shells were released) where a guy had said the 6+ was obnoxious to use and just "too big" but then when the cut outs popped up here on MacRumors, I printed them out and found the 6+ size seemed perfectly fine to me. I also tried out my friend's Note 3...so after all of that, I made the decision to go with the 6+.

I'm also a hobbyist photographer, so the OIS was very appealing, as was the larger screen to view/take photos, and the 1080p screen....bigger battery just sweetened the deal. That being said, even if specs were identical, I would have opted for the 6+ for the bigger screen.

I am not worried about carrying it in pants pockets, because it always goes in the front pocket of my purse, and the 6+ fits inside my purse pocket perfectly while in the Apple silicone case.

I have always been a two-thumbed texter, so no change there, and I can still text and operate the phone with one hand, but it is a stretch and I have to adjust the phone in my hand (which makes it a little unstable), to try and reach the opposite side, but not a deal-breaker to me at all.

It is perfect...FOR ME...and I haven't had any hesitations since I opened the box on Friday. I adore it, and fall more and more in love with it the more I use it.

As others mentioned, definitely try taking a trip to the store to check them out in person...and if you can't get to a store, check out the cut outs that someone posted here on MR. I liked them (as opposed to some of the others) because you can actually fold them into a 3D format so that you can get an idea of the thickness AND the size. If you want me to link you to the post, just let me know. :)

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
It really is a personal choice... I love the plus. It fits in some pockets and not others (but it will be a shopping test for jeans from now on LOL).
My hubby went with the 6, he thought the plus was just too big and is super happy, I like the 6 a lot, but I live on my phone and the bigger screen just makes that so much nicer.
Most stores in my area have the displays out... go and touch. It took him holding a 6 to decide the 6+ wasn't worth it for him. Me I was sold on the plus before I touched it... I wouldn't trade it (well maybe for a different color LOL)

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
5'5" female here, absolutely love it.

2648616.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.