Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DisplayMate, which routinely performs thorough testing of display quality on a variety of electronics, has released its iPhone 6 Display Technology Shoot-Out, taking a look at the performance of Apple's latest handsets using new "Retina HD" technology. While DisplayMate's Ray Soneira has not shied away from criticizing Apple's displays on some recent devices, he found the iPhone 6 Plus to have the "best performing Smartphone LCD display that we have ever tested" while the iPhone 6 also scored well in testing.

iphone_6_display.jpg
While the "best ever" designation includes the caveat of applying to LED displays and DisplayMate continues to rate the OLED display from the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 as the best overall smartphone display, the gains seen in the iPhone 6 and particularly the iPhone 6 Plus are impressive.
Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the iPhone 6 Plus is the Best performing Smartphone LCD display that we have ever tested. It delivers uniformly consistent all around Top Tier display performance. The iPhone 6 Plus is only the second Smartphone display (LCD or OLED) to ever get all Green (Very Good to Excellent) Ratings in all test and measurement categories (except for Brightness variation with Viewing Angle, which is the case for all LCDs) since we started the Display Technology Shoot-Out article series in 2006, an impressive achievement for a display. The iPhone 6 Plus has raised the bar for top LCD display performance up by a notch.
In particular, the iPhone 6 Plus display sets new records among LCD displays for peak brightness, low reflectance, and several measures of contrast and accuracy.

DisplayMate finds the iPhone 6 display to have many of the same strong areas of performance as in the iPhone 6 Plus, but the lower resolution and pixel density hold the smaller model back somewhat.
Most rescaled images look noticeably better on the iPhone 6 Plus with 2.1 Mega Pixels compared to just 1.0 Mega Pixels on the iPhone 6. In addition, even at the native display resolution, fine text and graphics look better on the iPhone 6 Plus if you look carefully and closely at the screen (because you may want to or need to).

The display on the iPhone 6 is none-the-less still a Very Good display, and most buyers will be happy with its performance, but it's somewhat disappointing that Apple went for satisfactory as opposed to the best.
DisplayMate's report includes a variety of charts and tables comparing the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to the iPhone 5/5s that are worth a look, as well as some discussion of how LCDs such as those found in the latest iPhones compares with OLEDs favored by Samsung.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Plus Display Judged 'Best Smartphone LCD Ever Tested', iPhone 6 Also Solid

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Playing with one over the weekend - the IP6+ display indeed gorgeous

I can't way to order one, but supply is constrained :(

ironman159

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Costa Rica
My personal opinion is that these are the best smartphones on the world right now. These screen tests are just the tip of the iceberg :D

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I have the regular 6. Easily the best phone I've ever owned. It feels great, size is perfect, and the screen is amazing.

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
When a screen becomes this good, colors are more vibrant, words are pin sharp, everything is more brilliant. Because when a screen becomes this good, it’s simply you and the things you care about. The stunning Retina HD Display, on the new iPhone 6.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Playing with one over the weekend - the IP6+ display indeed gorgeous

I can't way to order one, but supply is constrained :(

I went to AT&T and was pissed when I first saw the display because I thought it was a fake model. The screen is SO good, and SO on the surface, that I thought it was printed. It was't until I touched it that I was all "ohhhhhhh damn!"

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
"And I've would have been the best of all time, if it weren't for you meddling kids!"
iPhone 6+ to Galaxy Note 4

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The displays are really nice. Shame the curved glass edges create reflections that can catch your eye.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Great display on the Plus. Disappointing on the poor resolution on the 6. Only reason I went with the Plus. I love it, but it is a big phone!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
But...But....the iPhone 6+ ONLY has a 1080P screen resolution...that's so two years ago.

Last edited:

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
The screen on the 6+ is really amazing, go to youtube and type in 4k video, in the results click on the video I believe it's called Peru in 4k...I know the iPhone scales the 4k content to 1080p but man it looks gorgeous specially with brightness all the way up!!! try it;)

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Played around on 6 and 6 plus on the weekend and to me they 6 screen looked better, more sharp for some reason. The plus was a bit brighter.

To me it was noticeable for some reason.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Have to agree with the article. Been using my 6+ over the weekend and the display is indeed something to behold. The only times i've been wowed by an iPhone display is the original iPhone (size), the iPhone 4 (pixels) and now the 6+ (size, pixels and accuarcy)

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I bet the buttblastedness of the android crows is particularly ferocious given that the iPhone isn't technically as high resolution as some of the Android phones.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I went to AT&T and was pissed when I first saw the display because I thought it was a fake model. The screen is SO good, and SO on the surface, that I thought it was printed. It was't until I touched it that I was all "ohhhhhhh damn!"

I thought exactly the same thing when I picked up iPhone 6
picked that up first as thats the one I want. 6+ is too big for my lifestyle

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
I can see it already: next year Apple announces the iPhone 6S - the "S" is for "screen", with an industry-leading OLED screen...

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
But...But....the iPhone 6 ONLY has a 1080P screen resolution...that's so two years ago.

I love this argument. People fail to understand that there is more to being good that a dick measuring contest over numbers. A 5MP DSLR will take vastly better pictures than a 18MP point and shoot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.