Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm actually impressed that the 6+ battery is better than the G3.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm more surprised that the Note 3 was so far down the list and beaten quite substantially by it's Samsung brethren, the Galaxy S5. Everything I've read to date seems to indicate the Note 3 has some of the best battery life available.

I have done no quantitative tests/measurements with my 6+ but can at least say the improvement over the 5S is dramatic. I've had mine off the charger since 6:30 AM and been using it on and off since then (streamed internet radio in the car for about 30 min, checking email, messages, some web browsing, a short bit of gaming and I'm presently at 94%--5 1/2 hours later. Normally I'd be at 90% just streaming on the morning commute on my 5S.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm more surprised that the Note 3 was so far down the list and beaten quite substantially by it's Samsung brethren, the Galaxy S5. Everything I've read to date seems to indicate the Note 3 has some of the best battery life available.

I have done no quantitative tests/measurements with my 6+ but can at least say the improvement over the 5S is dramatic. I've had mine off the charger since 6:30 AM and been using it on and off since then (streamed internet radio in the car for about 30 min, checking email, messages, some web browsing, a short bit of gaming and I'm presently at 94%--5 1/2 hours later. Normally I'd be at 90% just streaming on the morning commute on my 5S.
Thats impressive

How you finding the plus? Going to check it out this week in store to see the general feel.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Thats impressive

How you finding the plus? Going to check it out this week in store to see the general feel.

Anandtech says the opposite

Phone Arena benchmarks are irrelevant. They penalize faster devices.

If 100 % performance of your device equals 50 % performance of my device, the test shouldn't be 100% Vs 100%, but 100 % Vs 50%.

You just can't use Phone Arena for any serious, scientific, benchmark.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I can never take any of these sites test seriously. Everyone uses there phones differently and my iPhone 6 gets me at least 12 hours and that's with heavy talk and texting. PhoneArena would not factor into my purchase decisions one bit.

----------

If 100 % performance of your device equals 50 % performance of my device, the test shouldn't be 100% Vs 100%, but 100 % Vs 50%.

Anandtech is pretty well established in the Tech industry. I put much more weight in their reviews than any other website.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Anandtech is pretty well established in the Tech industry. I put much more weight in their reviews than any other website.

That isn't even a factor, here. One site is about flame wars and toy-like benchmarks ("now open your eyes, which one do you like more?").

The other is about science and common sense. Phone Arena is worthless, as explained. One must be very desperate to prove their distorted view of reality in order to use those silly, unproved, untested, irrelevant benchmarks.

Anandtech uses same brightness, same settings, same performance output (you need X performance for this. On some processors that means 100%, others 30 %. No one would use 100 Vs 100 or 30 Vs 30), same signals, etc.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

I'm just posting an article that some might find interesting. You can do the same with that one too.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
That isn't even a factor, here. One site is about flame wars and toy-like benchmarks ("now open your eyes, which one do you like more?").

The other is about science and common sense. Phone Arena is worthless, as explained. One must be very desperate to prove their distorted view of reality in order to use those silly, unproved, untested, irrelevant benchmarks.

Agreed. It's sad that some people will base their purchase decisions on that and what others say on the internet. Gullible.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
For me..... and my personal use. The IP6 is right there with the HTC M8 and galaxy S5.

I have had all 3 phones and IMHO they all 3 are about the same in battery life........

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Thats impressive

I'm finding the experience really quite good. I'm not finding it awkward to hold or use but I also came into this experience with my eyes wide open. I didn't expect to use it predominantly one-handed so it's met my expectations in that regard. I have it in a black leather Apple case, not so much because it's awkward to hold but rather because I like the look and really like leather (would've gotten the leather back on the new Moto X if I bought one). The extra screen real estate is very welcome--web browsing is once again a tolerable experience on my phone. ;)

Don't get me wrong, it's a big phone---wouldn't want to go running with it, but then I wouldn't want to go running with most devices with at least a 4.7" display. I have no problem with the larger bezels to accommodate the Touch ID, something I value greatly. There are also plenty of apps that haven't been optimized to take advantage of the larger display/higher resolution but knew it would be like that going in and it's gets better every day as every time I check, I have app updates to install. If the situation is dramatically different in a few months, then I'd take some issue with it.

I'm REALLY loving the battery life though. Went to bed very late the other night (guess it was technically early next morning ;)) after a full day of steady use with heavy spurts and it was at 44%. Never would've happened on my 5S.

Go ahead and check it out but from what I know of you and your preferences, there's nothing here that will entice you from your Note.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm finding the experience really quite good. I'm not finding it awkward to hold or use but I also came into this experience with my eyes wide open. I didn't expect to use it predominantly one-handed so it's met my expectations in that regard. I have it in a black leather Apple case, not so much because it's awkward to hold but rather because I like the look and really like leather (would've gotten the leather back on the new Moto X if I bought one). The extra screen real estate is very welcome--web browsing is once again a tolerable experience on my phone. ;)

Don't get me wrong, it's a big phone---wouldn't want to go running with it, but then I wouldn't want to go running with most devices with at least a 4.7" display. I have no problem with the larger bezels to accommodate the Touch ID, something I value greatly. There are also plenty of apps that haven't been optimized to take advantage of the larger display/higher resolution but knew it would be like that going in and it's gets better every day as every time I check, I have app updates to install. If the situation is dramatically different in a few months, then I'd take some issue with it.

I'm REALLY loving the battery life though. Went to bed very late the other night (guess it was technically early next morning ;)) after a full day of steady use with heavy spurts and it was at 44%. Never would've happened on my 5S.

Go ahead and check it out but from what I know of you and your preferences, there's nothing here that will entice you from your Note.
Cheers

Glad you are enjoying it. From what you describe sounds like your battery life is better than what's on my note 3.but yeah note line is what suits my needs more but I like to check out new tech so will have a feel with it in the Apple store

----------

The battery on my iP6+ has been pretty good; I get a little over 24hrs I want to say.
Which at the end of the day is what you want. If it lasts all day that's the main thing.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
My wife's first full day with her new iPhone 6 was Saturday. Casual use throughout the day. Some calls and texts. Not much else. Took it off the charger around 8am. She told me that by 3pm, it was almost dead and she had to charge it. Though like my Moto 360 watch, I'm guessing/hoping battery life increases over time.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Lol anadtech is so apple biased its not even funny.has anyone in the real world ever come close to there battery stats? I know I sure as hell didn't with my old iPhone 5s

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Anandtech are Apple fan boys.

Gotta agree with this.

Even though I am a diehard Note fan (and I will get the 4 sometime), the Plus interests me, esp if I can get a 2nd phone through work. However, I prefer forum users' experiences that take place over time to a lab. My Note 3 has very good battery life, but if I need more, I have a spare. With the iPhones not having replaceable batteries, the battery life is more important to know. In a month or so, solid results should be posted.

This time, the Note 4 actually looks better than the new iPhones. Actually, with the colored metal sides, it looks great. Can't wait.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Anandtech are Apple fan boys.

Lol anadtech is so apple biased its not even funny.has anyone in the real world ever come close to there battery stats? I know I sure as hell didn't with my old iPhone 5s

Gotta agree with this.

Even though I am a diehard Note fan (and I will get the 4 sometime), the Plus interests me, esp if I can get a 2nd phone through work. However, I prefer forum users' experiences that take place over time to a lab. My Note 3 has very good battery life, but if I need more, I have a spare. With the iPhones not having replaceable batteries, the battery life is more important to know. In a month or so, solid results should be posted.

This time, the Note 4 actually looks better than the new iPhones. Actually, with the colored metal sides, it looks great. Can't wait.

Pretty funny how Anandtech gets praised all over these boards (and most forums that I visit, including those that are Android focused) as providing the most thorough and detailed, non-biased analysis...until they say an Apple device is better at something than their own beloved gadget, then all of a sudden they're 'so Apple biased' or just a bunch of 'Apple fanboys.' In fact, seems to be a common knee jerk reaction around here to any site that happens to offer any praise for Apple.

Sorry, but you guys are guilty of doing exactly what I see you criticizing Apple enthusiasts of doing.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I was sad that the new kings of battery life on android Z3 & Z3C were not on anandtech's charts.

Was surprised to see GS4 GE getting 6.23 hours of SOT in the last chart, I have never gotten that much in real world use. Maybe if I took it off the charger and used it for 6 hours straight (which is what the test is saying I imagine).

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
Pretty funny how Anandtech gets praised all over these boards (and most forums that I visit, including those that are Android focused) as providing the most thorough and detailed, non-biased analysis...until they say an Apple device is better at something than their own beloved gadget, then all of a sudden they're 'so Apple biased' or just a bunch of 'Apple fanboys.' In fact, seems to be a common knee jerk reaction around here to any site that happens to offer any praise for Apple.

Sorry, but you guys are guilty of doing exactly what I see you criticizing Apple enthusiasts of doing.

But its.not really that. Anandtechs benchmark results usually are a stark contrast from other sites.

Theres a good reason why people say anandtech is always slanted towards Apple.

Apple recently hired the person behind Anandtech. A little too coincidental?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
But its.not really that. Anandtechs benchmark results usually are a stark contrast from other sites.

Theres a good reason why people say anandtech is always slanted towards Apple.

Apple recently hired the person behind Anandtech. A little too coincidental?

So then what's Phonearena's excuse...or should I say, what's your excuse for Phonearena, the article in the very first post?

Apple didn't have the best results in either of these tests, just did better than the Note 3, which I think is pissing people off here.

And yeah, Apple must've had some backdoor agreement with Anand to offer him a job in exchange for years of positive reviews. That's totally believable. :rolleyes:

You guys can sure dish of the criticism of everything Apple, but doesn't look like you can take it very well.

Attachments

• o-POT-MEET-KETTLE-570.jpg
    o-POT-MEET-KETTLE-570.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.