Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangebanjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

I have a 100GB primary backed up via TM to a 150GB partition on an external hard drive, 30GB remains in the partition.

To make a 2nd TM backup to another external hard drive, can I just do a straight copy from the existing TM partition to the new drive? Repeating the standard TM steps, the backup is so slow.

Also, what is involved if I want to make the new TM partition 200GB? Shouldn't make a difference if the partition size is bigger?

Thanks in advance.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'll second the post directly above.

If you already have a TM backup, consider using CCC to create a second, BOOTABLE backup as well.

Reactions: orangebanjo

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I use 3 TM backups. I don't know if copying the existing backup files to another drive will work because TM may get confused about which backup is on which drive.

In any case I consider it is worth creating a fresh TM backup:
Connect your new drive and make sure it is formatted for Mac OS extended
Open TM preferences and select "Add or remove drive" from the list.
Select your new drive and start a backup

Creating a new TM backup will probably take hours - but so will copying 100s of Gb from your existing TM drive.

TM automatically rotates the backup drives, if it finds them connected. This is a good strategy.

CCC and the like are fine for occasional full system backups but TM is good for automatic regular backups.

Reactions: orangebanjo

Pdmes

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

I have a 100GB primary backed up via TM to a 150GB partition on an external hard drive, 30GB remains in the partition.

To make a 2nd TM backup to another external hard drive, can I just do a straight copy from the existing TM partition to the new drive? Repeating the standard TM steps, the backup is so slow.

Also, what is involved if I want to make the new TM partition 200GB? Shouldn't make a difference if the partition size is bigger?

Thanks in advance.
Since Mountain Lion you are allowed to use more than one hard drive to back up your data in Time Machine. Only remember when browsing older or others Hard Drives, use the option Key on Time Machine drop-down menu to get "explore other drive" or similar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.