Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:28 AM   #1
Biffy
macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro Sound Recording Help

Hi all

Im new to the forum and new to Apple! Im about to order a Macbook Pro. Cant wait, switching to Apple is well overdue! I have a few questions with regard to sound recording though.

I have taken a look at the specs and there is hardly anything written about the sound devices for the macbook. I am looking to use applications such as protools, cakewalk etc and I was wondering how compatible/what i will need to run them?

Another important question, tell me if i am being thick, will it support my sexy 5.1 speaker setup?! I remember at some point having to buy a new sound card that supported more than just the boring 2.1!

Thanks in advance guys, have enjoyed reading your posts.

Biffy
Biffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:44 AM   #2
WinterMute
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to WinterMute Send a message via MSN to WinterMute
No word from Digidesign about when Protools will be available UA, but if their past record is anything to go by then it could be a while.

Logic and garageband are already native obviously.

You're unlikely to get any kind of performance out of Rosetta if they run at all.

The 5.1 issue is a bit more of a guess, but I'm expecting Apple to have continued with the digital I/O seen on recent PowerBooks, and I know the DVD player in 10.4 supports Dolby playthrough from AC3, so you may well be in luck provided your receiver speaks the same language.
WinterMute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Biffy
macrumors newbie

Cheers wintermute

Logic and GB will be fine until protools comes out. I will probably need to save some cash for it anyway!

What would you recommend hardware wise? Currently i just use the digital out on my PA for recoding through my PC. The setup has been fine so far.

Will sound card quality make a big difference to the record quality? I havnent seen a single comment about "sound" on the macbook yet, everything seems to be on graphics. You would think that with all the hype about video they would match it with a good sound card etc.

I guess its fingers crossed about the speakers. I will post up a few questions when it arrives for some of the lucky first people.
Biffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio