Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_8_icon.jpg
Released last week, iOS 8 is Apple's latest operating system update, bringing several new features like Continuity, third-party keyboards, Notification Center Widgets, and more. As with any new iOS update, users have been reporting several bugs in the operating system, with some of the more prevalent complaints pointing towards slow Wi-Fi speeds and problems with battery life.

As outlined by PCMag, iOS 8 users on the Apple support forums have been complaining about Wi-Fi problems in a thread that now spans multiple pages, an issue that was confirmed by the site's own testing. It appears, based on complaints, that multiple devices may be affected by a Wi-Fi bug, including the iPhone 5s, the iPhone 6, the iPhone 6 Plus, the iPad Air, the Retina iPad mini, and more.
I also got an iPhone 6 on Friday, and noticed some sluggishness when connected to my home Wi-Fi network in New York. Twitter and Instagram photos took forever to appear, and opening a news story in Safari was hanging. I did a speed test using the Ookla app and got an abysmal 0.01 Mbps download and 1.05 Mbps upload. Minutes later, another test jumped up to 4.75 Mbps download and 0.24 upload, but a third test was again at 0.02 Mbps download and 0.76 upload.
Some users reportedly had luck fixing the problem by disabling Wi-Fi Networking under Privacy --> Location Services --> System Services.

Significant battery drain appears to be another complaint that's popping up frequently on the Apple Support forums, with users complaining of their batteries draining much faster than usual. According to one user, his battery drained from 100 percent to zero in four hours with minimal usage, a complaint echoed by several other users.

While those seem to be some of the more prominent problems on the Apple forums, iOS 8 users are running into plenty of other bugs and issues with the software. On our own MacRumors forums, there's an eleven page thread cataloguing complaints, which range from app crashes to the same battery issues Apple forum members are seeing, and a second thread where people are posting a list of bugs. There's also a thread on people experiencing excessive battery drain and a thread on people seeing slow Wi-Fi speeds.

Apple already has plans for an iOS 8 update that's coming in the near future, bringing support for Apple Pay and several features that are currently missing from the software, including SMS Relay. The update may also be used to fix some of the bugs that users are experiencing.

Article Link: iOS 8 Users Seeing Issues With Battery Drain, Slow Wi-Fi

LordBeelzebub

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
What iOS update doesn't see battery drains on the older devises. And wifi issues for that matter. Happens every time for some folks. LOL

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Perhaps people are seeing a drain on battery because they are using it more often because there are new features? Everytime a new version is released, or a new iPhone, people seem to complain about the battery. I drained my iPhone 6 today because I can't stop using it, not because it has battery issues.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
This is exactly why I always wait a few weeks after a major release so the bugs can be found and worked out. I must give a heartfelt thanks to all the early adopters/beta testers!

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I'm glad to hear that others are having issues with slow Wi-Fi...I thought I was going mad! There were times where my iPad and iPhone wouldn't even connect to my network so hopefully this is something that's addressed right away.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Count me in on the slow wifi. It is like there is a one second delay between search and results.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
There's always going to be a few bad apples with any new technology. It's not really breaking news, but no doubt SOME people here will try to flip this into something it isn't.

ffnc1020

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
Indiana
I just had my iPad Air on iOS 7.1.2 replaced, and I immediately updated to iOS8. I thought it might be a battery issue with my new replacement or I was imagining things when I felt the Air is a little bit warmer then the old one.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
iOS 8 on my iPad mini, iPhone 5 and iPhone 6. No Wifi or battery drain issues here. Must be isolated to certain instances.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Calender [background services] really drains the battery on my 4S. It was fine on iOS7, I'd get a days use out of it without switching any radios off. iOS8 is killing my iPhone and iPad. I'm sure they'll iron it out on the next update but until then my phone has to live on the charge dock!

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
And more...

Some other issues that we are tracking include:
*•*Inability to use the 30-pin to HDMI video adapter on older devices
•*Operating system kernel panics when using the Lightning to HDMI adapters.
•*Inability to view RTF documents in the UIWebView.
•*Inability to properly render MS Word documents in the UIWebView
•*...and more...

It's a new operating system. I suppose Apple will correct these issues shortly.

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
I've said this before and I will say this every year with a new major update: I've never had any major problems or bugs with new releases. Why? I always, always RESTORE AND SET UP AS NEW. new OS? Let's make sure your data was created in that environment to work. Most specifically with battery drain issues.

Set up my iPhone 6 as new and synced all my stuff over iTunes/iCloud and downloaded my apps manually, I've been seeing about 2 day battery.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
a problem with every major release.

To be fair, I have issues on my 6+ with iOS 8 that I never had on my 5s so, it isn't just the software itself... meaning when paired with different hardware different results can happen. I am having the horrible landscape glitch where the whole screen freezes and touch does not work anywhere on the screen. I never had this issue on my 5s and I ran iOS 8 since beta 1.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
I may be wrong but...

It seems to me that if you must be among the very first to have the very first of the very latest, you are essentially signing up to experience the very first problems that typically come with being the very first to have the very first of the very latest. No?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.