Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I have a 6 and I'm thinking about returning it for the 6 Plus. I tried it in the store and I have no problems with the size. It fits well in my pocket and I have long fingers that are pretty capable of reaching all corners of the screen.

My only qualm is that I often go to the gym and run with my iPhone in hand. I use it for listening to music but also like having it to track workout information, map my runs, etc. The iPhone 6 seems like it can still be used for this, but the 6 Plus might be unwieldy while running.

Does anyone have experience with this yet? Is the 6 Plus too much of a beast to hold in your hand for a few miles? I'm weary about using armbands but I'm willing to hear suggestions.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
I'd use an armband, but it'd be a huge armband lol... Maybe you should buy a sweat pants/shorts with zip pocket

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I have a 6 and I'm thinking about returning it for the 6 Plus. I tried it in the store and I have no problems with the size. It fits well in my pocket and I have long fingers that are pretty capable of reaching all corners of the screen.

My only qualm is that I often go to the gym and run with my iPhone in hand. I use it for listening to music but also like having it to track workout information, map my runs, etc. The iPhone 6 seems like it can still be used for this, but the 6 Plus might be unwieldy while running.

Does anyone have experience with this yet? Is the 6 Plus too much of a beast to hold in your hand for a few miles? I'm weary about using armbands but I'm willing to hear suggestions.

I've been on more than one 5K and watched girls running the entire race holding their S5's. I'm pretty sure you could also do that. Myself, I would go with an armband or fit belt of some sort. Hopefully, more solutions will be brought to market soon.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Check yourself and get yourself some new pants

oldschoolrapperCC.jpg

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I took mine for the first time yesterday. I did legs so it was easy to put the phone on my lap or tuck it into my shorts. But when I hopped on the treadmill I refrained from running and just walked briskly.

I ordered an armband and it arrived a day ahead of the Plus. It's too big!!! I hated it. I sent it back today. It looked ridiculous.

I have a super thin waist belt on order. It's like a money belt. We'll see if that works better. If it doesn't I'll probably use my old 4S as an iPod at the gym and leave the Plus in my car. My gym has free wifi so it won't be that bad.

I knew this would be an issue but I decided not to let one hour per day decide which size phone to get. I work out 6 days per week.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I worked out fine today without issues with my 6 plus. Although I lift weights, I rarely run, when i do run I hold my phone as well which I haven't tried with the 6 plus yet. I bet it will definitely be too huge of a phone to hold for that long. Actually thinking about exchanging it for a 6.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
Compression short pockets are way better than an arm band. My shorts have a thigh and hip pocket and I use Bluetooth headphones so the combo is perfect for lifting and running. However, I would feel much safer using my MP3 player.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My shorts have a pocket in the back, but I have a shuffle for working out.

Much cheaper to replace.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
The only problem I had with my 6 Plus at the gym was sitting down doing a row exercise. Anything that involved sitting didn't really work out too well with it staying in my basketball shorts, so I'm just going to use my 5s @ the gym for music, and leave my phone in my book bag or locker.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
My shorts have a pocket in the back, but I have a shuffle for working out.

Much cheaper to replace.

Ditto! I can't see how you can run 5 miles or more (my typically running distance) with 6+ in your hand. You would have to get a flexbelt or something similar for running.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Used my6 plus at the gym the times already and once for a 5 mile run using an armband. No problem at all. Felt no less ridiculous or unstable than my 5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.