Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

601x106

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Anyone drop their iPhone 6 + with the case on? (Not on purpose by accident) Just curious on the amount of protection it gives because the naked drop test for the 6+ was terrible.

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Dunno about drop-test but we've got one on my wife's iPhone 6 and the buttons are horrendous.

The power button needs pushing really hard and has no 'feel' to it and the volume rocker up makes the volume go down too at the end when you release it.

Feels like bad-alignment or they've guessed at the pusher length and got it short. I've complained to Spigen about it as we've had a few of their cases before and they were great.

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Dunno about drop-test but we've got one on my wife's iPhone 6 and the buttons are horrendous.

The power button needs pushing really hard and has no 'feel' to it and the volume rocker up makes the volume go down too at the end when you release it.

Feels like bad-alignment or they've guessed at the pusher length and got it short. I've complained to Spigen about it as we've had a few of their cases before and they were great.

Did you get an email from Spigen? I received one a couple of days ago that read they will send 'stabilizers' for the buttons to they are more responsive. They must have forgotten to put them on since they were in a rush to ship them out. I have the exact same problem you do.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Apparently they misjudged button placement and/or "pusher" size. On my new Neo Hybrid on my iP6, the power and volume down buttons work OK (require a bit more pressure than naked) but the volume up button doesn't work at all. I fixed it temporarily with a small piece of paper wedged in there until their "stabilizer" stickers show up.

Spigen has been a little flaky to me ever since last year when I bought my Note 3 cases from them. Prior to that they were very good. Now...non-communicative, slow to ship/fast to charge and fit and finish/engineering lacking. Appears to be too much growth too fast for them?

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
From what I can gather, Spigen is messing up big time with their cases for this round. I'm not hearing too many good things about them.

kioko91

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
I got my neo hybrid metal case today from Amazon. It didn't have the stabilizers included and couldn't activate the buttons unless forced. My biggest Issue was the hit to my cellular and wifi reception. I lost one bar on wifi (my bedroom is connected to where the router is housed, but usually have full strength throughout the house) and up to two bars of cell signal with Verizon. I never had that issue with the hybrid on prior phones, but I had the plastic ones. Just thought the aluminum would match well, and don't get me wrong, it was beautiful but the functionality was more important. Settled for a lilac pt case from best buy for now while the spigen is on its way back to Amazon.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Got the stabilizers today. The fix the issue. It's a world of difference.

601x106

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
all these issues make me not want to buy it but it looks so nice.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
This thread is about dropping the phone and the protection not about the freaking buttons not working. So did any of you actually drop your phone while in the case?

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I know its about protection and I would say given the design it offers a good amount of protection but a case is also meant to be functional so I was merely doing the op a favour by saying that there is a design fault with the bumper element rendering it a poor case imho

BuryMeInSmoke

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
I received mine yesterday. Yes, the buttons have the same issue as others have posted. I fixed it myself in a few minutes and is now working perfectly. I love the look and feel. My favorite case so far.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I haven't dropped mine (and I'm using the Apple Silicone case right now because I like it a little better than the Neo Hybrid). However, I will say that the stabilizer did fix the button problem. My up volume still isn't quite as clicky as the down, but all buttons work just fine now, with no stickiness or problems pressing.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I want to order the Spigen case on Amazon today with Prime but I wonder if they are shipping the defective units still? I am geared more towards the Slim Armor.

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
all these issues make me not want to buy it but it looks so nice.

There is a very good chance that the manufacturer had these cases designed and built BEFORE the iPhone 6/Plus were full announced. I would expect some measurements to be "off" as they tried to rush these to market by launch day. I'm sure there will be a revision shortly that will fix the issues mentioned here. It sounds like Spigen has already come up with a solution for existing cases.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Haven't taken my case off since I got it, but so far it's really great. Beautiful and slim and seems very high quality. Looking forward to receiving my button fix package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.