Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Just saw this on Macbidouille, probably the most popular and respected website for Apple related news in France (they have been the source of valid Apple rumours reported by international websites in the past): http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2014/09/23/attention-a-ne-pas-ranger-l-iphone-6-dans-votre-poche

In summary: bent phone are been reported and one of their readers is claiming he had is iphone 6 in his jean's front pocket, and after sitting down normally for a short while he took out the phone and found it as per the picture in the article. He went to Apple who said there would be no warranty cover for this and the replacement cost would be 297 euros.

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
hD315A959

The use of the word "gate" really needs to stop.

skanska

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Tut tut tut. It makes perfect sence to me not to have this phone if you insists on useing your pocket. Come on this is the first time i have ever seen a phone bend no one would do this on purpose it would play on my mind when i want to put it in my pocket so to me its not worth me having one.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
I went all day with the iPhone 6 Plus in my jeans front pocket.

I sat, stood, squatted, bent over. Really nothing happened to the phone. The most stress placed on the phone and my pocket, was when I squatted down to look at something on a lower shelf.

It would take a lot of force to bend the phone.

I think these are back pocket bends and the owners are lying.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I guess no one is saying every single phone in every single pocket will bend - you would think Apple is not stupid enough to release a phone which would break for most customers. But I think there is not denying that the structural integrity of an even larger and thinner piece of aluminium has to be reduced compared to the previous model, which itself could not be as rigid as its predecessor which had a steal frame inside the phone..
As far as Apple is concerned it is not a problem as long as there are not too many cases reported (and confirmed) and/or it doesn't make it to mainstream media.

So lets wait and see I guess ...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The two weak points could be the volume rockers and simtray.

Be interesting when more pictures surface. To be honest my plus feels sturdy. Though not sure about keeping in my pockets.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland

Quite possibly ... or they could have applied fairly strong pressure without realising it. But then ... you didn't hear these potential lies or unintentional damages prior to the iPhone 5 - so the aluminium unibody is clearly playing some part here (the question is to know whether it is a reasonable compromise - it does reduce or suppress other potential issues such as the fragile back glass on the iPhone 4).

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

I sat, stood, squatted, bent over. Really nothing happened to the phone. The most stress placed on the phone and my pocket, was when I squatted down to look at something on a lower shelf.

I agree with this statement.

When I heard people bending thier iphone 5s, I could not work out how?? Mine always lived in the pocket. And yet individuals insisted they put no force on the phone etc. I think there is some truth being held back, and would not be surprised if some of these bends resulted in the phone being in the back pocket.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2005

Just you wait, Henry Higgins, just you wait. ;)

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2014/09/23/attention-a-ne-pas-ranger-l-iphone-6-dans-votre-poche

In summary: bent phone are been reported and one of their readers is claiming he had is iphone 6 in his jean's front pocket, and after sitting down normally for a short while he took out the phone and found it as per the picture in the article. He went to Apple who said there would be no warranty cover for this and the replacement cost would be 297 euros.

Just picture that it's Tim Cook below:

2ccfbe5f_moneyvl.gif

p.s. yet another reason to use a case (not that I believe this is a widespread issue at all)

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
New Samsung commercial in 5...4...3...2...

###

----------

Just picture that it's Tim Cook below:

p.s. yet another reason to use a case (not that I believe this is a widespread issue at all)

Vince McMahon is awesome and has more charisma in his hair than Tim Cook has in his entire body.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
question is do you trust the kid to tell the truth? (original post has been edited, said sons iPhone)

Ive had my 5s in my front jeans pocket for a years use. It appears fine so far. I wonder like others if these are really back pocket carriers who forget and sit on it. hmm

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
I think people are discounting the continuous gentle force of being in pants for a long time causing the issue. Plus lets face it some people have mushy thighs some don't. I think if your thighs are mushy you are not going to bent your phone. If you have muscular thighs then you could have the problem.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I think people are discounting the continuous gentle force of being in pants for a long time causing the issue. Plus lets face it some people have mushy thighs some don't. I think if your thighs are mushy you are not going to bent your phone. If you have muscular thighs then you could have the problem.

hey my thighs are muscular as is the rest of me. My iPhone hasn't bent in a year of living in my front pocket. And I run and climb sometimes in my jeans.

see my above post.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
If you can't put an iPhone 6 in your pant pocket without the phone bending, the design is fail. Period. If this were any other manufacturer, the outcry would be deafening.

I've had my space grey 5s in my pockets since purchase. No problems, no bends. The 5s has been dropped multiple times, including tumbling down cement steps. Barely a scratch. Screen intact. This should be the standard, not an iPhone that folds like paper.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
If you can't put an iPhone 6 in your pant pocket without the phone bending, the design is fail. Period. If this were any other manufacturer, the outcry would be deafening.

I've had my space grey 5s in my pockets since purchase. No problems, no bends. The 5s has been dropped multiple times, including tumbling down cement steps. Barely a scratch. Screen intact. This should be the standard, not an iPhone that folds like paper.

yet there have been reports of 5 series iPhones bending but like you I haven't seen it. So are these early reports the odd person really putting it in their back pocket or maybe being totally careless? or is there truly a design fault. That seems so unlikely because even before production and commissioning I'm 100% sure Johnny Ive and a select few carried them in their pants not turned on but just to test the overall design whilst they continued to use their old iPhone. Im talking about the 6 here not the 6+ because carrying the 6 would have been easy for them to test durability in pocket carry.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
So, a French dude sat on his iPhone and bent it, this is news how? If you sit on it in tight jeans and put your weight onto the phone its gonna bend/shatter. I have had this happen with Samsung and motorola phones before when I forgot they were in my back pocket. Smashed the screen on a Samsung G900 and Motorola Razr. Ooh, just noticed it was the front pocket, not broken any phones in there. Wouldn't you feel it digging in?

----------

Guess you missed all of the bent iPhone 5S last year then??

----------

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I have one of those typical Apple-hating guys sat next to me at work (working on his retina MacBook Pro :rolleyes:). He was laughing this morning about this bendgate and about the new iPhones. He doesn't even know I have a 6 Plus and I'm happy to keep it that way; it saves the hassle. Can we not just all get along? :)

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I have one of those typical Apple-hating guys sat next to me at work (working on his retina MacBook Pro :rolleyes:). He was laughing this morning about this bendgate and about the new iPhones. He doesn't even know I have a 6 Plus and I'm happy to keep it that way; it saves the hassle. Can we not just all get along? :)

I don't think this is jsut about Apple hating though. Sure the guy you mentioned is just happy to take any negative story about Apple regardless of its validity as long as it can justify his opinion - and he is probably better being ignored.

But as a non Apple hater it doesn't mean you can't also look at these negative stories and complain when there are actual issues. The website I quoted is definitely non anti-Apple but are trying to report everything about Apple in a balanced way - good or bad things.

dfran1

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008

Yes I agree with you, I was android, went to iphone, went back to android, now am going back to apple, I only point out what is bad with each, and I always say "if it works best for you then stick with it".

Also just for reference , people had cracked screen problems with the samsung s3 and s4 in the pockets (I posted in the other thread), so its not just apple, and samsung told those also no warranty.

Just for reference No one had produced a user manual, that states, it is ok to put a phone in a pocket, studies mean NOTHING, and just because Jobs put a OLDER model in his pocket does not mean any newer or much thinner one he would put in his pocket today (of course we will never know).

Also in saying this There are times I do it also (dress pants only, very loose pockets) but not on a day to day thing, and I do know of some who do from day to day (not iphone 6 or plus yet) and have no issues. I have to think if the pocket is fairly loose then I would have to believe the user bumped into something to cause the issue without remembering what they bumped into.

Anyway are there not any MODS can't this thread be merged with the last one, How many of the same kind of thread do we all need! PLEASE MERGE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.