Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electorate

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Hi everyone!

I've had many troubles with my home wifi network in the past, and finally am able to change things up now, so I thought I'd come here for some help..

I've got a modem for internet, which is connected to my 3TB Time Capsule (current gen) via ethernet, and the time capsule outputs wifi for my devices. In the past I've used extenders to get connection all over my house, but now I've decided I want to hard wire between the 'extenders'. I'm pretty sure I can buy two Airport Extremes and place them at the opposite ends of my house, with Ethernet wiring the original two back to my modem/time capsule, which one would I connect two time capsules into via ethernet, modem or time capsule?

G4wRz1p.jpg

I've made a sketchy diagram that explains what I'm trying to do, my modem is with the Time Capsule at point A. Of course, once this is all set up the ethernet wiring will be through the walls. I'll be setting each Time Capsule/Airport Extreme as a new network, but using the same settings (SSID, password) for each one so my devices think all three routers are outputting one large network right?

In short, I need to re-wire my home wifi setup, I have one 3TB Time Capsule and am looking to buy two Airport Extremes and wire them together via ethernet, set them up under the same network settings (SSID, password) in order to make a huge wifi network for my home which shouldn't have much of a speed drop like wireless extenders would. Will this layout/settings work? If not, what settings would I apply to the Time Capsule and Airport Extremes?

Really sorry for the long and possibly confusing post, having trouble explaining exactly what I mean. Hopefully someone gets me and can give me a hand! :D

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi everyone!

I've had many troubles with my home wifi network in the past, and finally am able to change things up now, so I thought I'd come here for some help..

I've got a modem for internet, which is connected to my 3TB Time Capsule (current gen) via ethernet, and the time capsule outputs wifi for my devices. In the past I've used extenders to get connection all over my house, but now I've decided I want to hard wire between the 'extenders'. I'm pretty sure I can buy two Airport Extremes and place them at the opposite ends of my house, with Ethernet wiring the original two back to my modem/time capsule, which one would I connect two time capsules into via ethernet, modem or time capsule?

I've made a sketchy diagram that explains what I'm trying to do, my modem is with the Time Capsule at point A. Of course, once this is all set up the ethernet wiring will be through the walls. I'll be setting each Time Capsule/Airport Extreme as a new network, but using the same settings (SSID, password) for each one so my devices think all three routers are outputting one large network right?

In short, I need to re-wire my home wifi setup, I have one 3TB Time Capsule and am looking to buy two Airport Extremes and wire them together via ethernet, set them up under the same network settings (SSID, password) in order to make a huge wifi network for my home which shouldn't have much of a speed drop like wireless extenders would. Will this layout/settings work? If not, what settings would I apply to the Time Capsule and Airport Extremes?

Really sorry for the long and possibly confusing post, having trouble explaining exactly what I mean. Hopefully someone gets me and can give me a hand! :D

When creating what is known as a roaming network, you would run the secondary Extremes back to the original Time Capsule. Remember that AirPorts always are plugged into WAN and not LAN like some other routers when being used as APs. In AirPort Utility 6, it will automatically detect "Extend This Network Over Ethernet" and do all of the settings for you. It will be easy to setup for sure.

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
That is the setup I have at my ~3000 sqft house. I have added a few Airport Express' for Airplay in different rooms.

I works very well and stable.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
So run a ethernet cable from the extreme WAN ports back to LAN ports on the Time Capsule. They should detect and set up automatically.

electorate

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
When creating what is known as a roaming network, you would run the secondary Extremes back to the original Time Capsule. Remember that AirPorts always are plugged into WAN and not LAN like some other routers when being used as APs. In AirPort Utility 6, it will automatically detect "Extend This Network Over Ethernet" and do all of the settings for you. It will be easy to setup for sure.

Great! Thank you for the quick reply and helpful info!

That is the setup I have at my ~3000 sqft house. I have added a few Airport Express' for Airplay in different rooms.

I works very well and stable.

Great to hear, are the Airport Express' also connected via ethernet or are they just wireless? I may do the same but I don't want to leave them wireless and have the speed drop when close to them just to plug in speakers.

So run a ethernet cable from the extreme WAN ports back to LAN ports on the Time Capsule. They should detect and set up automatically.

Thanks mate!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Great to hear, are the Airport Express' also connected via ethernet or are they just wireless? I may do the same but I don't want to leave them wireless and have the speed drop when close to them just to plug in speakers.

Thanks mate!

An AirPort Express can be used as an AirPlay device over Ethernet or wireless without issue.

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013

Thanks mate!

Mine are connected via WIFI no problem or speed degradation as long as you set up the Airport Express as a WIFI client. I also turned the ethernet on the AE off.
Just helped a friend set up his whole house audio. He has 7 AE all connected via WIFI - works great.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Mine are connected via WIFI no problem or speed degradation as long as you set up the Airport Express as a WIFI client. I also turned the ethernet on the AE off.
Just helped a friend set up his whole house audio. He has 7 AE all connected via WIFI - works great.

Ethernet is always faster than Wireless N as it is Gigabit speeds. If the person only wants to use them as a speaker device then wireless is fine but as a network AP/extender, then Ethernet is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.