Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihonda

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
So, like MOST people here my family owns more then 1 iDevice, so we all use the same iTunes acct for purchases but have our own accts for iCloud and such. All money (as of current $60) is loaded onto the main iTunes acct --like it should be right?

Well, now that this iCloud drive program is out to increase space on a monthly fee it sort of screws up this all money in one bucket setup we having going on.

My wife and I both have 6+ and both want to upgrade to the 99cent/month 20GB program however it wants us to pay from our personal iTunes acct NOT the family iTunes acct where the money is. This is a problem because we want to spend down the iTunes family acct funds.

I know you can "gift" stuff to people but how would we "gift" a monthly subscription? I do not feel like waiting on hold with Apple all day for them to tell me its not possible so I figured I would reach out here seeing as I can not possibly be the only one here with this issue.

Yeah, I know the easy way would be to just load up each of our accts with $15 and let it bill monthly for a year however that just doesn't make much sense when we already have $60 loaded. I have searched and found no way to "transfer" funds to another acct.

ihonda

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
hmm i don't have the option to pay for the year it only shows monthly.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Same issue. I just want to pay for my wife's storage and not have it go on her card (which she will undoubtedly forget to update in iTunes when it expires and is replaced), but they way they have it set up I can't do that. We don't like to charge anything to her card, just use the Apple ID.

Better yet, why is there no shared storage/family plan type of thing? That would be a lot more convenient than juggling separate accounts and payments for every family member. So Apple can make more money is the only reason I can think of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.