Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
What are the benefits of purchasing at certain stores (assuming they have the phone I want)?

Apple:

Best Buy: reward points

AT&T:

OldMacDonald1

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Los Angeles
I guess the place with the cheapest price is the simple answer.

Other than that, I would call up each place and tell them to sell it to you, which works if they work off commission. They'll give you details on rewards programs and what not. Then you can make an informed decision.

Have fun finding the best deal!

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
I guess the place with the cheapest price is the simple answer.

Other than that, I would call up each place and tell them to sell it to you, which works if they work off commission. They'll give you details on rewards programs and what not. Then you can make an informed decision.

Have fun finding the best deal!

Thanks. I thought iPhones are the same price (except maybe Best Buy). I guess I can look around for the best prices and rewards, etc...

OldMacDonald1

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Thanks. I thought iPhones are the same price (except maybe Best Buy). I guess I can look around for the best prices and rewards, etc...

Pretty sure older iPhones vary in price from place to place. But iPhone 6 might be fixed price for all I know. I'm waiting for them to get out of fashion and then buy for less.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Pretty sure older iPhones vary in price from place to place. But iPhone 6 might be fixed price for all I know. I'm waiting for them to get out of fashion and then buy for less.
I should have clarified, I'm looking at the iPhone 6, 64GB. I think prices are pretty much the same, just didn't know if there was an advantage to the Apple Store over AT&T, or vice versa. I know Best Buy has the rewards program, so I may try them first if they have my phone.

OldMacDonald1

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Los Angeles
I should have clarified, I'm looking at the iPhone 6, 64GB. I think prices are pretty much the same, just didn't know if there was an advantage to the Apple Store over AT&T, or vice versa. I know Best Buy has the rewards program, so I may try them first if they have my phone.

I see. I would call them directly and ask. If they all offer similar rewards points, just go with the store you're more likely to shop at in the future :p

rebelduck

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
A couple FYI's:

If you have AT&T and order through Apple, they will only let you ship it to the billing address for the account, so If your parents pay your phone bill or you don't live at your billing address for whatever reason, that could be a problem.

If you don't have a private driveway or live in a safe/private area, you may want to take into account that AT&T will just have FedEx leave it at outside your door if you are not home. They will not leave notes and make other attempts or let you pick it up at the distribution center or get your signature. They will just leave it out there.
It's their policy.

If you have AT&T and have been a customer for a while, and you upgrade your phone regularly, if you call and ask they may waive the $40 upgrade fee.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
A couple FYI's:

If you have AT&T and order through Apple, they will only let you ship it to the billing address for the account, so If your parents pay your phone bill or you don't live at your billing address for whatever reason, that could be a problem.

If you don't have a private driveway or live in a safe/private area, you may want to take into account that AT&T will just have FedEx leave it at outside your door if you are not home. They will not leave notes and make other attempts or let you pick it up at the distribution center or get your signature. They will just leave it out there. It's their policy.

Thanks. I'm going to buy in store, wherever/whenever I decide to buy.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Just got back from Best Buy. They didn't have the phone I wanted, but said my early upgrade for the 64GB would be $499 ($50 cheaper than Apple).
I can't decide if I should do that or switch to NEXT....or even switch to Verizon.

OldMacDonald1

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Just got back from Best Buy. They didn't have the phone I wanted, but said my early upgrade for the 64GB would be $499 ($50 cheaper than Apple).
I can't decide if I should do that or switch to NEXT....or even switch to Verizon.

Ah so the prices on iPhone 6 to differ from store to store. Good to know.

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
I bought my iphone 5 and iphone 6 from Best Buy.

Walked in and was about 10th in line. I waited about 3 hours because the Verizon system was slow as hell.

got my rewards points and a discount for buying 3 accessories.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
I bought my iphone 5 and iphone 6 from Best Buy.

Walked in and was about 10th in line. I waited about 3 hours because the Verizon system was slow as hell.

got my rewards points and a discount for buying 3 accessories.

I plan to use Best Buy again also. Used them last year for my 5s. Got there as they opened (mobile store), took about 15 minutes and i was out the door. And they gave me a pretty good deal on my trade in.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
OP, I would definitely say Best Buy or Apple.

I finally used Personal Pick up at the Apple store close to work this week and wow! I was in and out in 10 minutes today with my iPhone 5s at lunch. This will definitely be my way to go for future iDevices/accessories at that store. It took 20 minutes on Monday when I attempted an iP6 after work.

For me, I will always buy the devices from Apple. I learned my hard/expensive lessons from buying at AT&T last week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.