Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, we shared several photos and videos from iPhone 6 Plus users who accidentally bent their iPhones when carrying the device in their pockets, mere days after the phone's initial launch.

Following this morning's news, YouTube video maker Lewis Hilsenteger of Unbox Therapy created a video exploring just how much an iPhone 6 Plus will bend when subjected to force. Using his hands, Hilsenteger bends the iPhone 6 Plus as much as he can, with significant warping showing up near the device's volume buttons.

The force placed on the iPhone 6 Plus in the video is unlikely to be replicated in a pocket, but as several photos have demonstrated in our earlier post, it does not take much force to cause a slight curvature in the device. The iPhone 6 Plus does, however, remain functional after bending, but as noted by Hilsenger on Twitter, the device screen cracked when he attempted to bend it back into shape.

Bending issues are not limited to the iPhone 6 Plus, as previous generations of the iPhone, including the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5s have also seen complaints of bending after being subjected to a pocket.

Apple has not yet commented on the iPhone 6 Plus bending incidents, but iPhone 6 Plus owners can likely prevent bending by removing the phone from their pockets before sitting or bending, or by placing the device in a rigid protective case.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Plus Bending Limits Tested in New Video

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
Gimme a break. you could do this with most phones on the market. Put pressure on it and it will bend/break no matter what it is.

Every time a new iPhone comes out everyone freaks out that it's a "bendgate".

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Next test: putting your iPhone 6 in a pre-heated oven to see how long it takes to bake till crispy. In other words: I find bending aluminum with bear fingers (yes: bear, look at those fingers) and calling it a "test" for "scientific" reasons is eff-ing ridiculous.

The lengths of stupidity people go to to get video hits and earn off YouTube ads! Sigh.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I wonder why Jony Ive didn't design a couple ribs of aluminum running top to bottom through the phone. The 4 and 4S had separate structure parts and they never bent. Now the iPhone 6 and 6+ have no internal structure parts and they bend

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
"For the sake of science."

I think it's incredible how much the glass on the front warped without splintering - I guess the durability of it lacks the structural integrity to help prevent the body from shifting.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Pro tip: next time don't get a Gordon Gekko sized phone. And maybe, just maybe next year Apple will release at least one high end phone in the 4 or 5 form factor.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I got a Spigen case coming called the slim armor. U think it will prevent bending?

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
"For the sake of science."

I think it's incredible how much the glass on the front warped without splintering - I guess the durability of it lacks the structural integrity to help prevent the body from shifting.

You're right, it is pretty incredible, but it seems consistent with the videos which highlight the "bending" strength of Gorilla Glass. I am also surprised the glass does not keep the structure more intact.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
When ones applies a force enough to bend metal, metal will bend. Can anyone simplify this one for me with an equation governing this anomaly?

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Had the problem with my 5s and apple did not do anything...

I hope they will help people and acknowledge this problem, especially with the 6 and 6+ since it take it as a design flaw. A phone should not bend in a pocket

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Given enough time, sure it will bend in a pocket still. Maybe not as severe as this video, but it will still bend.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
Gimme a break. you could do this with most phones on the market. Put pressure on it and it will bend/break no matter what it is.

Every time a new iPhone comes out everyone freaks out that it's a "bendgate".

While that is kind of true I'd wager that these new iPhones are much worse than previous models when it comes to bending.

(Not saying that is surprising since they're larger and thinner that before. But I think reports like these could prevent some accidental bending by making people more aware of it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.