Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Y2JDMBFAN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Guys,

This may sound dumb, but is anyone else having a problem with sore pinky fingers after using their 6+?

I have used the following phones most recently and haven't noticed this problem before:

One Plus One
HTC One M8
Nokia Lumia 1030

The 6+ is just a little taller and wider than the one plus one. Obviously this has to do with the way I hold my phones to use them, but might be a reason for me to switch to the regular 6. Anyone else having similar issues?

Y2J

Reactions: Noah7

Lemsan

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Yes. I too am experience some pinky discomfort...especially on the inside part of the pinky where the phone rest. I think, part of the problem he's the case. I am using the leather case and I think that somehow the shape it's cutting into my pinky. Maybe changing case will make things better.

Don't you just love first world problems?

Y2JDMBFAN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Yeah I felt kinda stupid even asking the question, but I legitimately have some pinky discomfort, I think it has to do with the shape of the phone and me trying to hold it securely enough as to not drop it. I happen to have a silver 6 unopened Verizon model sitting in a box next to me, but I was planning on returning it because I was able to grab a 64gb T-Mobile silver. 6+. I really wanted a Verizon 128 silver 6+ to use on AT&T originally. ThoughI think I might like the space grey better this go around...holding my iPad mini, it is wide enough and I can get a secure enough grip that I can cradle it between both palms and index fingers with two hands and don't have to use my pinky to "secure" it.

pammcpat53

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
Sore pinkie finger

Yes, I am having issues with a sore/tingling pinkie finger since I got my iphone 6.
Because of the bigger size, for support I hold the bottom of my phone with my pinkie finger. after prolonged use, my pinkie falls asleep and tingles.
My husband also complained of the same thing.
The only solution we found was to move the pinkie finger to the side of the phone with the rest of the fingers.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
NP here. I would say average on hand size. After a few months the phone actually feels comfortable in hand. Coming from the S4 it felt bulky and heavy at first. Have the Silicon case too. :)

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
It may just be from stretching the hand around the phone and extending the pinky a little for a long time. Maybe change hand position.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Guys,

This may sound dumb, but is anyone else having a problem with sore pinky fingers after using their 6+?

I have used the following phones most recently and haven't noticed this problem before:

One Plus One
HTC One M8
Nokia Lumia 1030

The 6+ is just a little taller and wider than the one plus one. Obviously this has to do with the way I hold my phones to use them, but might be a reason for me to switch to the regular 6. Anyone else having similar issues?

Y2J

No soreness here, but what exactly are you using your pinky finger for? Is it positioned underneath the phone? If so, you might be inviting carpal.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
LOL, yes, I did notice a little soreness! I would often support much of the weight of my 5S on my left pinky when using it. It has taken a while, but I have just had to change how I hold the 6 Plus. :rolleyes:

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
If you bend your phone just right, then your pinky won't hurt anymore.

Pinkygate solved with bendgate.

Now, if the phone would just stop pulling out the hair on my knuckles, then I can take care of hairgate.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I developed pain/soreness/discomfort in the gap between my ring and pinky knuckles when I got my 6. Had it for almost four weeks and it never got better.

Most likely going to require a shift in the way you handle it rather than getting used to it over time (cue the "you're holding it wrong" jokes).

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
If you bend your phone just right, then your pinky won't hurt anymore.

Pinkygate solved with bendgate.

Now, if the phone would just stop pulling out the hair on my knuckles, then I can take care of hairgate.

why ae people still saying "gate", it sounds retarded

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
i found my thumb gets uncomfortable if i attempt to use it with one hand. it gets hard to press the home button and also reach for other things at the same time. but its the way i hold it. if i held it lower it seems sketchy for me. so unless i'm on a call or only reading something and just want to scroll i use it with 2

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
LOL, yes, I did notice a little soreness! I would often support much of the weight of my 5S on my left pinky when using it. It has taken a while, but I have just had to change how I hold the 6 Plus. :rolleyes:
The sharp edge on the headphone jack hurts my pinky when I hold it like you describe in my right hand. The speaker/microphone holes are kinda sharp also.

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Yes! I went with the regular 6 instead of the 6 Plus because I'm a single-handed user. My pinky has to support the weight of the phone because I use the pinky shelf method. This never caused pain with the older iPhones, but this type of usage with the heavier iPhone 6 has led to pinky pain for me. It has gotten a lot better with time, though. I guess my pinky got stronger and used to it. I used to notice it constantly for the first month or so that I had the phone and now I don't think about it very often.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Not sure about the 6+, but I'm using a Lumia 1520 that I think it's slightly bigger, I don't have big hands, and I'm fine.

----------

By the way, I think this time the good old you are holding it wrong fully apply :D

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
OP, YES!

After about two weeks with my 6 Plus my pinkie finger started hurting and even my wrist was sore. It was because the 6 Plus is just so damned heavy!

I actually switched to a regular 6 because of this. It's much lighter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.