Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ratman2356

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Over the last 5 years I have used iPhones and android devices at about a 50/50 ratio. My Android use has been over most of the past 2 years as I waited for bigger screen iPhone to be released which it obviously now has.

I have a new 6 and I am enjoying the size and feel of it and it is performing well but I find I do miss some things from my HTC One M8, and miss them quite badly.

I truly enjoy both phones and want to keep the 6 if I can get it set up well for me. Here are the things I miss most:

The HTC Gallery for photo storage is vibrant and I have tons of control and options on how to set it up with previews and organization by event and or persons. Can you suggest some good photo organizer apps, as the stock IOS photos is beyond vanilla?

Same thing for camera apps. I know the 6 has a superior camera but I did enjoy the control of the HTC camera app allowed with the ability to set up and save custom settings.

Motion launch: I love the swipe and knock to open but I do not think there is any way to retain it. The print lock button is certainly a decent trade off and I am sure I will get used to it again from my years of using iPhones in the past.

A large weather clock on my home screen: I do not think there is a way to get this without jailbreak but I hope I am wrong.

I would also like a better music app as the IOS 8 one feels sterile and dead to me. I know there are a LOT of music apps out there. Too many actually, so hoping for a few solid suggestions. I am trying musicxmatch currently.

There are several other items I prefer on my M8, but I think that is just because I am used to them and they work well for me, like the scheduler/calendar and alarms and keyboard. I can't wait till Swiftkey adds the number shortcuts to the IOS version of the app. There is nothing wrong with the way IOS handles these, it's just different and will take time to adjust.

I have waited 4 years for this phone and want to make it work. So any 'androidy' apps you might suggest that has made the switch easier for you former android users in the past would be appreciated. I enjoy both platforms and feel they both have their strengths and weaknesses so this is definitely not vs. thread, hopefully it stays that way.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
A large weather clock on my home screen: I do not think there is a way to get this without jailbreak but I hope I am wrong.

Go into App Store and put 'widgets' in the search, You'll see a lot of 'HTC' type weather clock apps, that you're talking about. 'Desktop Weather'. 'Widget' etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.