Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I was pretty excited about this feature considering I'd rather use my fingerprint instead of always entering in passwords. However, it seems like apps that use it, like 1password, don't actually use it until you manually login. Is this just how it works? Is this an iOS 8 bug? The App Store is the same way. Sometimes I can just use my fingerprint. Other time I have to enter my password.

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
Apple's implementation of the API is a mess, it will take iOS 9 for Touch ID to be really useful with 3rd party apps.

That being said it doesn't make a lot of sense anyway, because using Touch ID in apps AFTER you used Touch ID to unlock your phone is like using the same lock on two doors one after another.

What's the point?

Last edited:

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I was pretty excited about this feature considering I'd rather use my fingerprint instead of always entering in passwords. However, it seems like apps that use it, like 1password, don't actually use it until you manually login. Is this just how it works? Is this an iOS 8 bug? The App Store is the same way. Sometimes I can just use my fingerprint. Other time I have to enter my password.

That's poor coding by the 1Password team.

EDIT: Maybe not...

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Mine aren't even doing that. I'm having to enter passwords into apps that use Touch ID before I can use Touch ID to unlock them. At least that's how 1Password works.

It seems pretty silly. I hope it's just a bug but maybe that's just how it is.

Saif23

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Touch ID On The iPhone 6 Has Been Responding Slow When You Put You're Finger On It. Anyone Else Having This Problem ?

nostodnayr

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Mie Prefecture, Japan
Mine aren't even doing that. I'm having to enter passwords into apps that use Touch ID before I can use Touch ID to unlock them. At least that's how 1Password works.

It seems pretty silly. I hope it's just a bug but maybe that's just how it is.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but what about your master password settings? Is your master password "Request After" set to a short amount of time?

Or, are you saying that you have to type in your master password and the use Touch ID to fully unlock the app/fill data?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I'd say it's an issue w/ 1Password or a setting you've configured incorrectly. Mint doesn't work that way for me. I use TouchID to unlock the iPhone and then TouchID once again to open Mint.

aggiesrwe03

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
TEXAS

In 1password settings you can set the master to 30 days and it clears this up until the app updates, as far as the App Store it's never worked properly I always get the "for security purposes enter your password to use touchid" it's frustrating as all hell!!! Also I have noticed not many apps are using the API and implementing it, my bank account, myatt app, eBay, PayPal, directtv app, etc. all seems like touchid should be a no brainer, hopefully other developers catch on!!

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Touch ID in apps

Apple's implementation of the API is a mess, it will take iOS 9 for Touch ID to be really useful with 3rd party apps.

That being said it doesn't make a lot of sense anyway, because using Touch ID in apps AFTER you used Touch ID to unlock your phone is like using the same lock on two doors one after another.

What's the point?

TouchID was not meant to be single sign on for all of your apps. In iOS 8, it is supposed to replace the need for a password within an app if the developer chooses to. It's working great in LastPass and Amazon and will only get better over time with more apps using it. If Apple ever decided to utilize TouchID for single sign on, there probably would need to be some sort of timeout threshold for security purposes to re-authenticate you for high security apps such as banking apps, etc.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
In 1password settings you can set the master to 30 days and it clears this up until the app updates, as far as the App Store it's never worked properly I always get the "for security purposes enter your password to use touchid" it's frustrating as all hell!!! Also I have noticed not many apps are using the API and implementing it, my bank account, myatt app, eBay, PayPal, directtv app, etc. all seems like touchid should be a no brainer, hopefully other developers catch on!!

Well I do have the 30 days setting set, yet every time I go to open 1Password after a short period of time, it asks for my Master PW :confused:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It definitely could be used better. I still don't get why I have to put in a passcode every time I restart the phone. Then when I make a purchase on iTunes after that restart, oh I've got to put in my Apple ID password that first time.

The f#%@ is up with that?

I want a setting that says "use Touch ID as my password all the time. All the time. If you can't read it after three tries, ask me for my passcode. Otherwise, use my damn fingerprint."

Same goes with apps. When I open 1Password, I want to use 1fingerprint. No stupid master password that I try to make a little different, which means I forget easier. We obviously need backup passcodes and passwords, but something -- either bad development, bad API, fraidy catness -- seems to be hampering this feature.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Touch ID app integration is not as good as I expected. I thought you would be able to login to sites using your fingerprint but instead you have to sign in using extensions like 1Password which are clunky and not elegant.

Also, is anyone able to get your login to save on Macrumors?

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
There are apps which its implemented by not using your password like Evernote premium. Readdle apps etc. it's to do with developers implementation. Also with 1password if you set your master password to alert to 30 days the app won't ask you and just requires TouchID

aggiesrwe03

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
TEXAS
It definitely could be used better. I still don't get why I have to put in a passcode every time I restart the phone. Then when I make a purchase on iTunes after that restart, oh I've got to put in my Apple ID password that first time.

The f#%@ is up with that?

I want a setting that says "use Touch ID as my password all the time. All the time. If you can't read it after three tries, ask me for my passcode. Otherwise, use my damn fingerprint."

Same goes with apps. When I open 1Password, I want to use 1fingerprint. No stupid master password that I try to make a little different, which means I forget easier. We obviously need backup passcodes and passwords, but something -- either bad development, bad API, fraidy catness -- seems to be hampering this feature.

The worst is when you try and delete an email from notification center in the lock screen you're asked to enter your password or fingerprint, I HATE THAT ****!! defeats the purpose of deleting from the lock screen if you ask me!!

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Touch ID in apps

There are apps which its implemented by not using your password like Evernote premium. Readdle apps etc. it's to do with developers implementation. Also with 1password if you set your master password to alert to 30 days the app won't ask you and just requires TouchID

False. I have it set to 30 days and it still asks for mine after a day, so it must be an app bug.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
False. I have it set to 30 days and it still asks for mine after a day, so it must be an app bug.

It will ask for it after a reboot regardless of the time setting. On my phone with it set to 30 days, it never asks unless I reboot.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
The worst is when you try and delete an email from notification center in the lock screen you're asked to enter your password or fingerprint, I HATE THAT ****!! defeats the purpose of deleting from the lock screen if you ask me!!

That one makes sense, since the lock screen pops up before you've entered your login credentials. It stops people who are within reach of your phone from deleting emails that could be important.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
It definitely could be used better. I still don't get why I have to put in a passcode every time I restart the phone.
This is a consequence of Apple's encryption system (data protection). After rebooting, many files in the flash memory are encrypted and there is no decryption key stored anywhere on the phone (if there were, it would be potentially possible to extract the key and use it to crack the encryption). Rather, the key is derived from your passcode. Hence it is not possible to decrypt the protected files and fully unlock the device without the passcode.

The Touch ID API in its current form is no replacement for a secure authentication mechanism of this type, since it only returns a "yes/no" answer to 3rd party application, but cannot be used to derive a cryptographic key. This is why 1Password and other very security-sensitive applications still ask for passwords initially even if they support Touch ID.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Honestly, touch ID in third party apps seems to far to be one of the more stable and seamless APIs in iOS 8. So far I'm using it with 1Password,Transmit, and Amazon. It really "just works" and has saved me a ton of time over entering 20 character passwords. Most of the issues people are complaining about here seem to be down to the way specific developers have chosen to implement it.

nickhutson

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
Yes - I am sad it's not available much (other than in apps you have to pay for - thus making Apple money).

Where is it as a log in to Facebook? (Don't even get me started on their non-ability to make their app look good on the 6 Plus Screen)

Where is it on Amazon? (It's not here in the UK...)

Where is it on banking apps?

I am sure Apple are working overtime to approve all the new subscriptions to the App store - but... y'know!

I do love Apple - we make the hardware and YOU do all the hard work and we get money! Genius, if you ask me!

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London

Mines still works. If you update the phone software that's the only time I see it ask again and I think after a reboot I will double check on this. Still a lot of work to do maybe in iOS 9 I would like to see photos and some of other default apps using it.

pleomorph

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
What I find amusing is that I can use my Touch ID to purchase an app, but I have to manually enter my password to write a review for that app in the App Store. :rolleyes:

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Mines still works. If you update the phone software that's the only time I see it ask again and I think after a reboot I will double check on this. Still a lot of work to do maybe in iOS 9 I would like to see photos and some of other default apps using it.

Its def buggy on someone's part. Does not adhere to the 30 days. I use it constantly so i am keenly aware of the issues.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Its def buggy on someone's part. Does not adhere to the 30 days. I use it constantly so i am keenly aware of the issues.

There is a known issue in 1Password where sometimes the preferences reset (Apparently an Apple bug.) if you're finding you've set it to 30 days and still have to enter the password, you might check if the time setting has reverted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.