Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nap.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Edit
[Wish I could change the name of the thread as I no longer think my problem is related to thermal issues.]
Having installed "Macs Fan Control", I decided to try setting the fan to 'Sensor Controlled' using the CPU Diode as the reference.
What I've noticed now is that only the CPU is slowing down, even through the thermal sensors are giving readings in their normal operating range.
In the "Activity Monitor", the 'kernel_task is running at CPU% = 150 - 370. (Not good)

Resetting the EMC did not fix the problem. (It also reset the Macs Fan Controller setting back to auto.)
/Edit

Help please.

I have a Macbook Pro 13" mid-2010 which has a strange problem. Occasionally, the fan speeds up and the CPU slows down to snails pace. Sometimes this happens during bootup, other times well after. Everything still works, but very slowly. Closing the lid and waiting for the fan to calm down seems to fix the problem, until next time. (Which can be a long time.)
I believe the problem has to do with one of the thermal sensors, but I'm not sure. I've already replaced the drive cable, which has one, but I don't know where the others are.
I would like to fix the problem but can't find any information about the circuit board or the location of these other sensors.

The details about my Macbook are:
A1278
EMC 2351
C02048604JCDD7JAZ
MB 2.4G-FOX
CG3D/21PGEMB00B0
820-2565-A (MagSafe charge connector)

If I haven't posted sufficient info, please let me know what else I should include.

Macs Fan Control Results:
Code:
Battery TS_MAX		26C
Battery Point 1		26C
Battery Point 2		25C
CPU Diode		35C  (was 66C when I first installed Macs Fan Control)
CPU Proximity		33C  (was around 50C when I first installed Macs Fan Control)
Northbridge Chip	32C
Northbridge Point 1	32C
Left Palm Rest		24C
Samsung SSD		24C

Can someone please post an annotated picture showing where the sensors are, or post a circuit diagram?
Or, if someone's had this happen to them, can you please share how you fixed it.

Thanks,
Nap.

Attachments

• MacbookPro13inch-mid2010_A1278.JPG
    MacbookPro13inch-mid2010_A1278.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.