Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
So Engadget posted the videos of the iPhone being bent. But the guy doing the test decided to try bending the Note 3 after a majority of commenters started calling foul and said try that with a Note 3. Well he did and by the look of his fingers changing colors, he even tried harder. The Note 3 was fine. I've always felt plastics were superior to metal as a material for our mobile devices. My Nokias have been indestructible. I wonder if reviewers will go back to edit their reviews regarding build quality if the new iPhones.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/23/bent-iphone-6-plus-problem/

The videos of Samsung's torture testing their phones is crazy. No wonder the Note 3 was so strong.
Looking forward to the Note 4 bend test, you know is gonna happen.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I would have liked to see a more fairer test. He said that when he heard about the bending issue, he took out his iPhone 6+ and found it to be slightly bent already. That would have affected the structural integrity of the phone and would have made it easier to bend it some more. In comparison, the Note 3 he tried to bend did not appear to have been bent already.

The third video where it showed the equipment used to stress test phones would be a great way to test various different phones. It is a Samsung video, so it only showed it testing Samsung phones.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
I would have liked to see a more fairer test. He said that when he heard about the bending issue, he took out his iPhone 6+ and found it to be slightly bent already. That would have affected the structural integrity of the phone and would have made it easier to bend it some more. In comparison, the Note 3 he tried to bend did not appear to have been bent already.

The third video where it showed the equipment used to stress test phones would be a great way to test various different phones. It is a Samsung video, so it only showed it testing Samsung phones.

Think about it. The iPhone was already bent from having it in his pocket. I've never heard of any bents Note 3s ever. It's a pointless comparison to begin with.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
When I first got my Note 3 I had a tempered glass protector on it. One time early on I jumped into the seat of my car and quickly had an oh #$%^ moment as I felt my phone in the back pocket of my Jeans. It did damage or bend it permanently but it did flex enough to cause the tempered glass cover to lose it's seal and thus a big air bubble formed.

I never could get that one to adhere again but the phone overall is fine and I simply haven't put a cover over the sock glass screen again.

No issues since and it only took me sitting on it once to never do that again!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
So Engadget posted the videos of the iPhone being bent. But the guy doing the test decided to try bending the Note 3 after a majority of commenters started calling foul and said try that with a Note 3. Well he did and by the look of his fingers changing colors, he even tried harder. The Note 3 was fine. I've always felt plastics were superior to metal as a material for our mobile devices. My Nokias have been indestructible. I wonder if reviewers will go back to edit their reviews regarding build quality if the new iPhones.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/23/bent-iphone-6-plus-problem/

The videos of Samsung's torture testing their phones is crazy. No wonder the Note 3 was so strong.
Looking forward to the Note 4 bend test, you know is gonna happen.
Has nothing to do with plastic. The Note 3 (as well as most flagship Android phones) have magnesium chassis' with multiple mount points preventing weak spots in the frame. The Note and S series have this. The iPhone does not utilize a magnesium chassis and depends upon the Unibody aluminium for all structural rigidity. Add stress to the weak point and it will bend. Aluminium is a soft metal after all. That said, it appears that adding a case (rigid tpu plastic or metal) completely solves the issue.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I would have liked to see a more fairer test. He said that when he heard about the bending issue, he took out his iPhone 6+ and found it to be slightly bent already.

Who needs a test. I don't know whats fairer then normal usage and finding your phone already slightly bent.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

Look at the UBreakIFix video

They apply 100 lbs of force to both a Note 3 and a 6 Plus and measure the bending

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
plastic doesn't bend easily, it can scratch or crack just as much if not more then aluminium.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
At the end of the day the iPhone Plus should be renamed the iPhone Flex or the iPhone Curve :D

The selling point could be that it conforms to your own personal needs. :cool:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Plastic does bend easier, just that it's more likely to bounce back instead of staying bent like aluminum.

Perhaps, I think it depends on the thickness of both the plastic and aluminium & if they are exactly the same thickness and similar weight; it could be interesting to see some level of resistance and which material is easily put back into place.

muy picante

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
apple should call it "feature" - "your iphone fabulously adopts to your pants/body curves to make your phone carrying experience unforgettable" :D

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Technically does this mean Samsung didn't bring out the first curved display as the edge isn't officially out yet? Only joking :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
aea6f9215f4ebcd77f3ff56178a6bde3.jpg

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
The iphone 6+ design is clearly weak. From what I have seen, the bending always happens right by the button on the side, where a hole in the aluminum frame has bene cut (to accomodate the button).

Calling it a design flaw is probably pretty fair. It doesn't affect the operation of the device, but something designed to go in and out of pockets a dozen times a day should be designed to be more robust.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
At the end of the day the iPhone Plus should be renamed the iPhone Flex or the iPhone Curve :D

The selling point could be that it conforms to your own personal needs. :cool:

You say Android is customizable? Pfffft. With the iPhone, you can customize the shape itself!

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
The iphone 6+ design is clearly weak. From what I have seen, the bending always happens right by the button on the side, where a hole in the aluminum frame has bene cut (to accomodate the button).

Calling it a design flaw is probably pretty fair. It doesn't affect the operation of the device, but something designed to go in and out of pockets a dozen times a day should be designed to be more robust.

You got some people around here defending this, previous iPhones have a good build quality (my iPhone 5 and 5s not bent) but to call the new iPhones or at least the iPhone 6 plus build quality great is wrong, people claim that nobody will apply this kind of pressure like they see on the video but what they forget is the phone going in and out of pockets and of course accidents happened and you can sit on top of your phone; overtime this will be a problem with the 6 plus.

Mine will only be naked in my house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.