Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

timcook.png
Apple CEO Tim Cook sent a company-wide memo out to all employees this morning, thanking them for their hard work during the month of September, which saw the release of the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8 and the announcement of the Apple Watch. Cook also announced that Apple employees will be receiving additional vacation time during the Thanksgiving holiday in the United States, as they have in past years.

"Each of these introductions represents years of innovation and hard work by teams all across Apple," wrote Cook in the letter, which was first shared by 9to5Mac. "Many of you have put the best work of your lives into these amazing new products, which bring together world-class hardware, software, and services in the way only Apple can."
Without you, none of these accomplishments would have been possible. Our people are the soul of our company, and we all need time to refresh and renew. To provide that time, and to recognize all of these achievements -- as well as your boundless talent and dedication -- I'm happy to announce that we're extending the Thanksgiving holiday this year. We will shut down with pay on November 24, 25 and 26 so our teams can enjoy the whole week off.
Apple will be shutting down during the week of Thanksgiving, giving employees November 24, 25, and 26 off in addition to the actual holiday on November 27 and 28. While stores will remain open, retail employees will be given the same amount of time off, but at varying dates. International teams will also receive extra vacation.

Apple routinely closes up shop for multiple days around Thanksgiving and Christmas, giving employees time off to spend the holidays with family. While iTunes Connect shuts down during the Christmas holidays, it has, in the past, remained functional over Thanksgiving leading to little end impact on customers.

Article Link: Apple Employees Rewarded for Record Month With Thanksgiving Holiday

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Bend-Gate

Did Tim also thank them for their oversight of not checking out the strength of the iPhone 6 Plus? There are enough complaints about the phone bending that its become an embarrassment to the company. How can these so-called engineers overlook this?:eek:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Everyone has time off except Johhny Ive who has to stay in and write out 10,000 times on lined paper.

I must not make an iPhone that bends so easily in peoples pockets

Just joking :D

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Thanks for your hard work in creating a bendable iPhone. ;)
It's not about the products, it's about the bottom line. Money in the bank. Job done. :cool:

Now go enjoy watching their stock price rise on your newly bent iPhone 6 Plus. :apple:

AaronICT

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Google gives employees phones and tablets. Apple gives employees cheap swag.

I just left Apple after three years in AppleCare. This is truly insulting considering the amount of work we put in, the time we're expected to be away from our families, the lack of upward advancement opportunities, and low wage compared to similar jobs elsewhere.

This would be worth about $200 to me based on what my pay was when I left. Diddly freaking squat. Richest company in the world is also the cheapest. The only rewards we get our cheap Apple pens and mugs ordered from the same promotional company over and over again. I have four water bottles, three pens, a mousepad, a hat, one jacket (2 sizes too large, thanks manager for paying attention to the size I sent you) and a keychain with a light on it that was broken when I received it.

Apple is a great tech company -- the best -- but they have a lot to learn about how to treat their employees.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is nothing new. Every year Apple corporate employees get extra time off around thanksgiving.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I just left Apple after three years in AppleCare. This is truly insulting considering the amount of work we put in, the time we're expected to be away from our families, the lack of upward advancement opportunities, and low wage compared to similar jobs elsewhere.

This would be worth about $200 to me based on what my pay was when I left. Diddly freaking squat. Richest company in the world is also the cheapest. The only rewards we get our cheap Apple pens and mugs ordered from the same promotional company over and over again. I have four water bottles, three pens, a mousepad, a hat, one jacket (2 sizes too large, thanks manager for paying attention to the size I sent you) and a keychain with a light on it that was broken when I received it.

Apple is a great tech company -- the best -- but they have a lot to learn about how to treat their employees.

I guess that's why you left right? It wasn't working out for you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't workout for other people. I want to see you start a large company and try to please everyone, get back to us.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
Most people in the US only get 10 days a year. In some jobs, that includes holidays :(

You're joking right?

But saw a sign with 8$'s pay an hour at Mc Donalds. Here they get 21$'s an hour plus extras for working late hours and/ or weekends. So I guess if they are paid so poorly, they also cheat with vacations in the us.

By the way. Vacations are PAID time of in Denmark.

In Denmark the holidays does NOT count for your 6 weeks vacation

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Everyone has time off except Johhny Ive who has to stay in and write out 10,000 times on lined paper.

I must not make an iPhone that bends so easily in peoples pockets

Just joking :D

while sitting in a white room. :eek:

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Did Tim also thank them for their oversight of not checking out the strength of the iPhone 6 Plus? There are enough complaints about the phone bending that its become an embarrassment to the company. How can these so-called engineers overlook this?:eek:

But "Only Apple could make such amazing products, software and services that work seamlessly together" -Tim Cook (scratchy annoying as heck voice that makes one want to bend an iPhone)

AaronICT

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
I guess that's why you left right? It wasn't working out for you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't workout for other people. I want to see you start a large company and try to please everyone, get back to us.

No I left because I just went through my fifth team manager in about as many months. I have no desire to start a large company, so your suggestion I do so is irrelevant.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011

While I completely hear you as having worked in retail for more years than I would have liked to, Apple has a corporate responsibility to keep their retail operation in line with other companies that are not so profitable, and use brick and mortar locations for their primary sales drivers, not to mention industries in which profits are nowhere near the iPhone 6's reported 67% - sometimes under double digits, sometimes low single digits. When you change your retail model to be more "corporate" based (higher salaries, better benefits, etc.) you are skewing the retail model. And once that occurs, the consumer is the one who ends up losing out as companies are forced to charge more for their products to compensate for the labor increases and risk going out of business if they cannot recoup the cost.

Plus, retail jobs, or any other close to minimum wage job isn't meant to be a career, it should be a reminder that you can and should do better with your career and get to the point where you're able to reap the rewards.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So, have you actually bent your new iPhone 6, or are you propagating the stupid possibility that it can be bent given enough force? I'm sure most every phone can be bent or broken.

I guess people think they're being clever making jokes about this. Just like they did with maps two years ago.

malcolmffc

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
You're joking right?

But saw a sign with 8$'s pay an hour at Mc Donalds. Here they get 21$'s an hour plus extras for working late hours and/ or weekends. So I guess if they are paid so poorly, they also cheat with vacations in the us.

By the way. Vacations are PAID time of in Denmark.

In Denmark the holidays does NOT count for your 6 weeks vacation

I'm completely serious. 10 days is the norm.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamohn/2013/08/13/paid-time-off-forget-about-it-a-report-looks-at-how-the-u-s-compares-to-other-countries/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.