Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2006, 08:04 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Classic on a Mac Intel?

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Classic on a Mac Intel?
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Nermal

I was actually wondering about SheepShaver a while ago, but then I remembered that it doesn't do emulation and requires a PowerPC CPU. Does this Intel version hook into Rosetta or something? I might try it next time I need to run an OS 9 app. In other words, next year
Nermal is offline   0
Old Feb 8, 2006, 08:30 PM   #3
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
I was actually wondering about SheepShaver a while ago, but then I remembered that it doesn't do emulation and requires a PowerPC CPU.
You remembered wrong, or maybe you're thinking of MacOnLinux. SheepShaver does have an x86 version that uses a JIT compiler to emulate PPC. (Rosetta is basically a JIT compiler.)

Quote:
Does this Intel version hook into Rosetta or something? I might try it next time I need to run an OS 9 app. In other words, next year
No, I think the PPC version of SheepShaver plays too many tricks to work under Rosetta. They just used the PPC emulator from the x86 Linux version and compiled that into the OS X version, which obviously never needed it until now.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old Feb 8, 2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5
You remembered wrong, or maybe you're thinking of MacOnLinux.
Neither

They've added an emulator "recently". It definitely used to require a real PPC processor (back in the BeOS days).
Nermal is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion