Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
I hope this update includes the fix for nVidia and Maya 4.5 in 10.2.3...

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by idkew

i like that. hammer more. hammer away.

certainly. but they need to finish it ASAP. i mean, i like that they keep working on things--this is perfect with graphics, where they don't change the fundamental rules, so that they increase performance without forcing people to change their code, but with the print system, they really need to come up with a mature system now. switching to CUPS was probably the best thing they could have ever done, but i don't think they should keep evolving it much longer. there's something to be said for giving it your best shot, completely, and saying, "okay, we're basically done. we have support for all the features of just about any printer you can imagine, and the performance is great. HP, Epson, you can write your drivers now, we aren't going to release an update to OS X in 3 months that's going to make your effort worthless."
It's OK though. i think Apple is almost to that point. CUPS was probably the last major change. i think they are just looking into bugs now.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Apple][Forever
hmmm... HIToolbox... wonder if we'll see more refinement to Aqua (like the sunken brushed metal buttons)?

That'd be really nice if they made it consistent. quite honestly, i got used to the sinkage; it seems more realistic, if you could possibly use that adjective with this GUI

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
On the topic of printing, what is CUPS?

Also, does anyone know what this release is supposed to entail as far as upgrades and features go?

Dan

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
by the way, guys, the february issue of macworld has some great tips on printing in jaguar. it's really good. it showed me (finally) how to print to a windows computer over the network... i have heard you can do this natively, but they sure as hell didn't document it, so i don't know. it seems like something hey would hype if they could do it. but yeah, with gimp print and EPS ghostscript from sourceforge, you can add a lot of functionality to print center.

i wonder if 10.2.4 will break it though, lol. i doubt it.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
CUPS...interesting...why on earth does everyone want to know more about CUPS? I believe that the Feb 2003 Macworld (as Shadowfax has said) has something about CUPS, as well as the January (or February) 2003 MacAddict.

10.2.4 rules! I just downloaded and tried it out ( :D a seed key is what everyone wants from me right now) and it's great.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by melchior
"it's great" ??

what exactly is great?

It's nicer than nice. :D

I hope this will fix a few more of those bugs before they shake most everything up again. More performance and stability, thank you very much. :)

cheesypoof

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2002
Printing to a windows computer?

I read the article in the Feb. edition of Macworld, but I can't understand how to connect to a shared printer on a windows xp computer. Can someone help me out? It said something about samba, but how do you enable that? It doesn't do it automatically, and I tryed adding smb:// before the ip.

EDIT: Nevermind, i thought gimp-print was just a bunch of drivers, but i see now that it also adds extra features.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Printing to a windows computer?

Originally posted by cheesypoof
I read the article in the Feb. edition of Macworld, but I can't understand how to connect to a shared printer on a windows xp computer. Can someone help me out? It said something about samba, but how do you enable that? It doesn't do it automatically, and I tryed adding smb:// before the ip.

EDIT: Nevermind, i thought gimp-print was just a bunch of drivers, but i see now that it also adds extra features.

isn't it impressive how gimp-print integrates with print center? i really like it.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by übergeek
WHAT IS GREAT?!?!!!!
10.2.4 is great. Compared with 10.2.3, it's better. Words cannot describe my feelings about the update.

perhaps you should learn better english. why do you like it so?

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax

That'd be really nice if they made it consistent. quite honestly, i got used to the sinkage; it seems more realistic, if you could possibly use that adjective with this GUI

same here. At first it looked weird, but now iTunes looks weird.

Maybe they got rid of the stripes. (naahhh...)

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by alset
On the topic of printing, what is CUPS?

Also, does anyone know what this release is supposed to entail as far as upgrades and features go?

Dan

open a webbrowser and go to:

http://localhost:631

it is very nice. I like how you can set up printer classes and it will print to the first available printer.

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ

perhaps you should learn better english. why do you like it so?

Go easy on the girl, it's obvious she has no idea why she likes it, she probably doesn't know a single change in .2.4...

:eek:

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by UnixMac

Go easy on the girl, it's obvious she has no idea why she likes it, she probably doesn't know a single change in .2.4...

:eek:

is that some kind of stupid joke? this hasn't been released to the general public. they don't give know-nothings-about-their-computers access to 10.2.4 until it's final, when I can get it too. so the person should be very aware of any changes, if he actually has tried it yet.

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ

is that some kind of stupid joke? this hasn't been released to the general public. they don't give know-nothings-about-their-computers access to 10.2.4 until it's final, when I can get it too. so the person should be very aware of any changes, if he actually has tried it yet.

no joke, this chic prolly has a friend at Apple who gave her a copy, or she works with them or something, but I doubt she can tell you the difference between CUPS and coffee cups. I can tell you right now where to get a copy of .2.4, but since it's illegal, it would be a bad idea to touch it.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX

no joke, this chic prolly has a friend at Apple who gave her a copy, or she works with them or something, but I doubt she can tell you the difference between CUPS and coffee cups. I can tell you right now where to get a copy of .2.4, but since it's illegal, it would be a bad idea to touch it.

if you say so. but perhaps they really did make some notable/noticeable changes? you know, like changing the buttons, lowering startup time, i don't know.

[edit]
and no, i am just fine waiting for OS X 10.2.4
[/edit]

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada

I can tell you right now where to get a copy of .2.4, but since it's illegal, it would be a bad idea to touch it.

Mentioning the illegality of using it is hardly going to dissuade somebody from wanting it, installing it and using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.