Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Had my Macbook for 5+ years without it ever having any issues so with my new Imac I skipped AppleCare.

Was wondering though is AppleCare something I can buy whenever I want at an Apple store or somewhere like BB? Or is it something I had to buy when I got my Imac?

No big deal either way as I'm sure I won't buy it anyway. Was just wondering.

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Got 1 more question. I saw Applecare for $169 for 3 years. That would cover me for everything for 3 years right? So if something were to happen and it would be like $400 to fix I wouldn't pay anything as I have Applecare?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Got 1 more question. I saw Applecare for $169 for 3 years. That would cover me for everything for 3 years right? So if something were to happen and it would be like $400 to fix I wouldn't pay anything as I have Applecare?
As long as it wasn't from accidental damage (drop, spill, etc), then AppleCare should pay for all repairs.

Just remember that although you can add AppleCare anytime before the original one-year warranty ends, the three year end of your AppleCare is always based on the date you bought your Mac, not the date you bought AppelCare. (i.e. you don't gain any extra time on the AppleCare warranty by putting off the purchase 10 months).

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
As long as it wasn't from accidental damage (drop, spill, etc), then AppleCare should pay for all repairs.

Just remember that although you can add AppleCare anytime before the original one-year warranty ends, the three year end of your AppleCare is always based on the date you bought your Mac, not the date you bought AppelCare. (i.e. you don't gain any extra time on the AppleCare warranty by putting off the purchase 10 months).
OK, thanks, I'm sure this is a stupid question but you can renew Applecare once the 3 years is over correct?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Apple just has the one AppleCare. After the three years of that, that's it. There might be some third-party coverage after that, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Apple just has the one AppleCare. After the three years of that, that's it. There might be some third-party coverage after that, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.
That kinda sucks. Was planning on keeping this for 5+ years.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA

Chances are if the machine is well maintained for the first 3 years it should last at least another 2 years. AppleCare is excellent coverage, not only does it cover the machine for repairs for 3 years it also provides 3 years of telephone support and if you need repair your machine goes to the front of the line. In addition if it's covered by AppleCare and in the very unlikely event the machines needs 3 repairs you can request a replacement machine, which means you would likely receive an upgraded machine!

Finally AppleCare's retail price is $169 however if you look on Amazon or another retailer such as B&H Photo you can find it discounted.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Where I work, we have about 30-40 Mac users. We replace the Macs after 5 years. I've been there about 14 years, and I can't think of a Mac that had problems in years four or five. Everyone's results vary, but I wouldn't be worried that you have to toss your iMac just because the warranty ran out. :)

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007

Does Apple allow AppleCare to be purchased from a 3rd party seller and be activated on the iPhone 6?

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Does Apple allow AppleCare to be purchased from a 3rd party seller and be activated on the iPhone 6?

As long as the AppleCare is genuine. Sometimes bogus AppleCare comes up on sources such as Ebay. If you want to try and save money, buy it from an authorized reseller such as B&H Photo. You can buy iMac AppleCare there for $122 vs. $169 from Apple.

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
I went to their website and didn't see AppleCare for iPhone. Just macs, iPad and Apple TV.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I went to their website and didn't see AppleCare for iPhone. Just macs, iPad and Apple TV.

AppleCare+ for iPhone

And on the iPhone main page:
Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 3.53.12 PM.PNG
OK, thanks, I'm sure this is a stupid question but you can renew Applecare once the 3 years is over correct?
No, you can't renew it.

AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
  • You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase. It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. When a Mac changes hands, the AppleCare coverage still applies to the computer. There is no need to "register" the new owner in order to receive coverage.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again for the same device or renew it.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms & Conditions.
  • Apple to Update AppleCare with Subscription Service and In-Store Repair Options
As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I haven't seen AppleCare+ for iPhones sold by third-parties, other than some of the phone carriers. Even then, it's sold at the time of purchase. I don't think you can just walk into a carrier and buy AppleCare+ for an already-purchased iPhone (like you can at an Apple Store), but I could be wrong.

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
AppleCare+ for iPhone

And on the iPhone main page:

No, you can't renew it.

AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
  • You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase. It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. When a Mac changes hands, the AppleCare coverage still applies to the computer. There is no need to "register" the new owner in order to receive coverage.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again for the same device or renew it.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms & Conditions.
  • Apple to Update AppleCare with Subscription Service and In-Store Repair Options
As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

Doesn't look like B&H Photo offers AppleCare + for the iPhone. Searched and it didnt come up.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Doesn't look like B&H Photo offers AppleCare + for the iPhone. Searched and it didnt come up.
I didn't see any reference to B&H in your post I quoted, and hadn't read the earlier posts where it was referred to. No, B&H doesn't sell AppleCare+ for iPhone.

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
I'm interested in buying this AppleCare (not +) from eBay seller. He states it will work with the iPhone 6.

What do you guys think?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171470659183

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I don't think you can get AppleCare+ for the iPhone through anyone but Apple. My understanding is that if you don't buy it when you first purchase the iPhone, you either have to call Apple and they will perform a remote test on your phone before you can add it or you have to go in to a store where an associate can inspect it first. It is distinctly different from the AppleCare+ offered for computers - I think the simple reason for this is that the AppleCare+ for the iPhone covers 2 incidents of accidental damage.

Personally, I think Square Trade is a much better deal for the iPhone than AppleCare+.

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
I don't think you can get AppleCare+ for the iPhone through anyone but Apple. My understanding is that if you don't buy it when you first purchase the iPhone, you either have to call Apple and they will perform a remote test on your phone before you can add it or you have to go in to a store where an associate can inspect it first. It is distinctly different from the AppleCare+ offered for computers - I think the simple reason for this is that the AppleCare+ for the iPhone covers 2 incidents of accidental damage.

Personally, I think Square Trade is a much better deal for the iPhone than AppleCare+.

I actually spoke to Apple earlier today and they said it can also be purchased online if within 60 days of iPhone 6 purchase.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009

Look into a credit card that offers to double a warranty up to a year. They may add a year after your 3 years is over. I do not know if they will do this, but worth asking and using that card to purchase the computer if true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.