Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, Apple released iOS 8.0.1, which ended up disabling cellular service and Touch ID on many iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices. Apple said that it was investigating the issue this afternoon, and it has now released a support document confirming that an iOS 8.0.2 update is in the works with a fix.

In addition to announcing the upcoming update, the document also points users towards an interim fix involving reinstalling iOS 8 via iTunes.

noservice.jpg
The document offers the same advice Apple support representatives have been giving to customers since the issue first surfaced, directing users to download iOS 8 and reinstall it on their devices using iTunes. Apple's specific steps are as follows:
Follow these steps to reinstall iOS 8.0.

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.

2. Connect your iPhone to iTunes.

3. Back up your iPhone in iTunes on your Mac or PC. iCloud backups won't restore to earlier versions, including iOS 8.0.

4. Download the file below that corresponds to your device:
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus

5. Select the file you just downloaded by doing one of these in iTunes:
- Mac: Press the Option key and click Check for Update.
- Windows: Press the Shift key and click Check for Update.

6. Press Update to install iOS 8 on your iPhone.

The Health app won't work in iOS 8 after these steps. It will be fixed in our upcoming iOS 8.0.2 software update.
Apple has pulled the iOS 8.0.1 over-the-air update, but the software was available to customers for approximately an hour and fifteen minutes, leaving many users with broken devices. According to the Apple, iOS 8.0.2 is already in the works with a fix and will be ready "in the next few days."

iOS 8.0.1 originally fixed a significant HealthKit bug that popped up just ahead of the public release of iOS 8. Apple pulled all HealthKit enabled apps from the App Store due to the issue, and iOS 8.0.1 fixed the original bug, allowing the apps to be redistributed. The update also included fixes for third-party keyboards, Reachability, Photo Library, SMS/MMS messages, and more.

Article Link: Apple Says iOS 8.0.2 Update is in the Works, Directs Users to Reinstall iOS 8

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
Knoxvegas
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Earlier today, Apple released iOS 8.0.1, which ended up disabling cellular service and Touch ID on many iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices. The company has now released a support document that states an iOS 8.0.2 update is in the works and that points users towards an interim fix involving reinstalling iOS 8 via iTunes.

The document offers the same advice Apple support representatives have been giving to customers since the issue first surfaced, directing users to download iOS 8 and reinstall it on their devices using iTunes. Apple's specific steps are as follows:Apple has pulled the iOS 8.0.1 over-the-air update, but the software was available to customers for approximately an hour and fifteen minutes, leaving many users with broken devices. According to the Apple, iOS 8.0.2 is already in the works with a fix and will be ready "in the next few days."

iOS 8.0.1 originally fixed a significant HealthKit bug that popped up just ahead of the public release of iOS 8. Apple pulled all HealthKit enabled apps from the App Store due to the issue, and iOS 8.0.1 fixed the original bug, allowing the apps to be redistributed. The update also included fixes for third-party keyboards, Reachability, Photo Library, SMS/MMS messages, and more.

Article Link: Apple Says iOS 8.0.2 Update is in the Works, Directs Users to Reinstall iOS 8

ok well that is cool thank you for sharing macrumors

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Microwave wireless charging, device waterproofing, and bend prevention will also be available with the upcoming iOS 8.0.2 release.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
Knoxvegas
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Earlier today, Apple released iOS 8.0.1, which ended up disabling cellular service and Touch ID on many iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices. The company has now released a support document that states an iOS 8.0.2 update is in the works and that points users towards an interim fix involving reinstalling iOS 8 via iTunes.

The document offers the same advice Apple support representatives have been giving to customers since the issue first surfaced, directing users to download iOS 8 and reinstall it on their devices using iTunes. Apple's specific steps are as follows:Apple has pulled the iOS 8.0.1 over-the-air update, but the software was available to customers for approximately an hour and fifteen minutes, leaving many users with broken devices. According to the Apple, iOS 8.0.2 is already in the works with a fix and will be ready "in the next few days."

when will iOs 9 come???? macRUmors PLEASE let us know so I can tell my brother, he just got an ipawd and LOVES her I just need to know when to update it you understand?

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
In the meantime, I'm still looking for HK apps to download onmy 5S... Guess Apple still won't make them available until the 8.01 fiasco is fully resolved?

Last edited:

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Hmm, while they're at it they can add camera roll again, please.

I'd like a clear separation of all those thousands of photos synced to my iPad via iTunes and the few I take on iPad and the Photo Stream that just happens to be all thrown into a Recent album and that's it. (Sorry, Moments isn't cutting it for what it's supposed to be and not for narrowing down by criteria of where the photo is coming from/is stored)

Good Lord...

Glassed Silver:mac

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I truly wish I had an extra iPhone where I had the forethought to download 8.0.1 as it will be the rarest Apple firmware ever and down the road would be a collectors item!
(Especially if that same iPhone had FlappyBird also installed on it. . .)

PS: The above screenshot with 69% battery is not a mere coincidence.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
The iOS 8.0.2 update BETTER WORK. I'm about to activate my new iPhone 6 (64 GB Space Grey--yeah, it's a bit late but I've been busy at work) and the last thing I want is a "bricked" phone after the update is applied.

superbad

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Wow. Redirecting your users to downgrade and having to install iTunes. I've done it already but this is just one big cluster****. I HOPE heads rolled for this one. There's just no excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
The iOS 8.0.2 update BETTER WORK. I'm about to activate my new iPhone 6 (64 GB Space Grey--yeah, it's a bit late but I've been busy at work) and the last thing I want is a "bricked" phone after the update is applied.

I try not to update until a few days after they are released.

Antxinez

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Hey I'm trying to revert back to iOS8 and it says firmware is not compatible? But I downloaded it from their link?

iTunes is up to date btw....

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
I can't believe it has not been said yet: Steve would've NEVER allowed this.
;)

In all seriousness, iOS8 on my iPhone 6 Plus is ridiculously buggy.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
We'll never know why, for sure, HK had such a critical bug in the GM, and why 8.0.1 released with such prominent issues.

Apple, you're not the first to have phones this size. Please stop rushing and go back to what you're good at - doing it properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.