Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Boing Boing is running an article about a new opensource "iTunes killer". The app, called Songbird, looks very familiar, but is not yet ready for non-Windows OSes.

The project is headed by an ex-Winamp guru, which makes things more interesting because before I switched back to Macintosh, Winamp was my music player of choice (however, I must admit that I hate the feel of it nowadays). I say that iTunes needs competition if for nothing else to drive improvement.

What do you think?

Image taken from Boingboing.net.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I'm not sure how an app trying to be as good as iTunes could ever be considered an "iTunes killer". Just looking at the screenshot, it doesn't look nearly as user friendly at this point. And then there is the fact that ITMS still reigns supreme in the world of on-line music stores, and that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
See I don't understand how songbird (that looks so much like a black cluttered iTunes) will sway people to reload all their music and hassle with downloading such a service. Seems like if you have an iPod especially, their would be no reason to change. The need to come out with something really ground breaking to compete with iTunes. Maybe complete 3-D interface? I don't know.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I think they're playing this card:

…an open source alternative to services like Apple's iTunes and the Windows Media Player. Instead of connecting to one locked store full of DRMmed goods, it can connect to any and all available music (and video) on the internet.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
It's an uglified rip-off of iTunes interface-wise, and from what I've heard it's really slow (currently). Besides, the majority of iTunes users are not the type of people that will care about open-source versus closed-source, when both apps are free. Especially considering that Songbird doesn't work with iTMS or the iPod.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
It is a app that is itunes but black? why not just use itunes..lol :confused:

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
Maybe because all the music on it is legally free?

Not saying "zomg Songbird roxx0rs iTuens suks lolz," but you know, there are entirely legitimate reasons why iTunes is not just the best thing in existance. It isn't perfect, and free music without violating the law has an appeal.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
gallivant said:
Maybe because all the music on it is legally free?

Not saying "zomg Songbird roxx0rs iTuens suks lolz," but you know, there are entirely legitimate reasons why iTunes is not just the best thing in existance. It isn't perfect, and free music without violating the law has an appeal.

Songbird is not a way to get legal free music. In fact, one of the features they're touting is the ability to buy songs from several different music download sites within the same Application. It almost identical to iTunes as for it's intended purpose, only open source and missing many of the things that make iTunes desirable.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Hannibal over at Ars Technica just posted a short article on SongBird. Aside from looking like iTunes (which is almost a non-issue) the program appears to be quite a unique beast.

I'll give it a try when it makes it to OSX.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Its got some nice little features, like right clicking any track or name and google searching it. Or the ability to download any kind of audio source on a webpage directly into the library. Its a pretty nice proof of concept, and ultimately I hope the competition can spur on the development of iTunes

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
Hate to bring a thread back from the dead (although I do that a lot actually...) but I just read a little Cnet note on songbird, so decided to go try it out, and it's actually quite cool. The whole combining of music player and web browser is pretty nifty.

Not sure if I'd call it an "iTunes killer" per say, especially since it's currently version .2, but I'm definitely gonna try using it exlusively instead of itunes and Firefox, and see what it's like.

A couple issues: if anyone else tries it, can you get Songbird to become your automatic browser? I click on the button for it in prefs and nothing happens. Also I can't get the global hotkeys to do anything... I set them in the prefs, but they won't work.

Oh yea, the website is here if you want to try it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
1. It keeps crashing on load up.
2. When it does load it might SOMETIMES play a song or not.

Yeah, yeah it's Beta. This is the buggiest Beta I've ever used. I've had more stable ALPHA released before.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm surprised that it's still having trouble. I tried it way back when and it would load and import but it didn't play music. Somehow, I think a music player ought to play music. Maybe, next year...

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
sorry for suggesting it while it's apparently so buggy.... it's been working perfectly for me apart from the aforementioned issues... no crashing or lack of song-playing whatsoever for me :confused: :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It does seem to have some nice features... and the fact that it is being built up to allow for open-source control and access of purchased, DRM'd music from a variety of sources is nice. I'm not sure it will kill iTunes or iTMS (the bigger issue) any time soon, but I think it's nice. In the ultra-long-term, it's unlikely that Apple will be allowed to own the digital music market forever....

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I had tried the first version released for OS X (0.1adp or something?) and it was horribly buggy as in 100% unusable. I had hoped that this new version would be better, and I guess it was slightly better. At least it started up and rendered correctly on my screen. It also imported my music. However, it started up on the "Welcome" screen, and clicking Library in the source list didn't do anything. Neither did clicking any of the other entries.

It's got a LONG way to go.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just a bump to say I installed 0.2.5 to see how Songbird is coming along. It has promise, I think. It's very buggy (for instance, Exposé cannot see that it exists! :eek: ) and inconsistently goes between the Firefox appearance and the black Songbird skin. It has some *amazing* features. For instance, you can very easily web search for songs posted on blogs of various kinds and go "shopping" for them -- of course, you can do this with Firefox or Safari, but the ease of use of that specific here is amazing. Two or three clicks from typing the search term to getting the song in your library. With all the legal nebulosity of music blogs. And with the fact that, in a very Linuxy fashion, there are eighty different views that one keeps changing between. Nonetheless, it's pretty impressive.

I could see using it as an adjunct to iTunes, although it's certainly no iTunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.