Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
It was a long, frustrating process to get boot camp windows installed as I wanted it on my 2011 Macbook Pro. I had a data doubler with the original HDD used as extra storage in the Superdrive slot and an SSD in the main drive bay as my Mac partition. I had wanted to install a boot camp partition on the HDD so I could keep the SSD dedicated to Mac. To do so, I had to remove the data doubler, put the original HDD back in the main slot, reinstall the Superdrive, install Mac OS, run Boot Camp and install Windows from the Superdrive, take the Superdrive back out, put the HDD back in the data doubler in the Superdrive slot, and reinstall the SSD.

It works now. Needless to say I don't want to screw this up and have to go through that process again.

Now ideally I would like to delete the "extra" mac partition on the HDD that had to be created when it was the only drive in the computer for starting Boot Camp. I would like to use that partition as my spare storage space.

Can I delete the Mac partition on the drive that has the Boot Camp Windows partition? Or does the Boot Camp Windows partition need that Mac partition to keep existing?

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
You should be able to delete it with gParted or a similar tool. But maybe backup your Bootcamp-partition first. Messing with partinioning schemes can always go wrong. Even if you did everything carefully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.