Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
This baffles me. These cases are freaking great at protecting from drops, and super slim and smooth.

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
a lot of people might have been put off by their recurring rubber/flaking issue...

and lets be honest, the case needs an update as well, aesthetically...

newtoiphone555

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
Tell you the truth it was my favorite for iPhone 4S , 5S and now I would reconsider it for some reason .

It just seems that this company made few $M and now took a step back and just making easy money on their OLD models till the buzz will be totaly over and they will close their doors ... that's only my opinion

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I had one for my 4S and it kept flaking after pulling it out of my pocket.

So I told Speck about it, they shipped a replacement instantly but even that kept flaking. So I don't bother with them anymore.

I am so surprised their R&D hasn't come up with a better solution to the problem.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
It's a very old school looking case. Reminds me of my 3GS days. They also scratch like hell. Good in its day but needlessly bulky and so many better cases exist now.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Had a speck Candyshell for my iP5 and after a few months, it completely fell apart. The plastic infused in the case cracked and the rubber flaked off like a worn pencil eraser tip. Definately will not recommend. Plus there are 1000% more superior cases out there for a 1/5 of what Speck charges for them.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
That's weird--I had Candyshells for my 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, and 5S and they never flaked. I'm waiting to see if they have cuter colors that come out for the 6 Plus eventually, but I'm planning on buying at least one once they do.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
a lot of people might have been put off by their recurring rubber/flaking issue...

and lets be honest, the case needs an update as well, aesthetically...

Agreed on both points.

I truly loved the Speck Candyshell case I had on my iPhone 5 for a little while. It was the one with the rubberized coating on it...that they don't offer any longer...probably because the coating flaked off from almost day-one.

And...the darker colored Candyshell model attract scratches like a magnet, and they tend to look old before they even have the "new" worn off.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I had a candy shell on my iPad 1 since launch, took it off when I traded it in to target last November. It never flaked, never anything - it wad still awesome what, 4 years and hours of daily use later.

So I bought one for my iPhone 4 in December when my daughter wanted my case. There is no rubber left on it at all. It is horrid and useless at this point. I'm actually happy to tread it isn't just me because I never read complaints before!

I posted pics the other day in another thread of it.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.