Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I don't see the point. It's not like the replacement will be structurally different than the bent phone. You're just going to bend the replacement.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Very nice! Great job, Apple. Very quick response!

----------

I don't see the point. It's not like the replacement will be structurally different than the bent phone. You're just going to bend the replacement.

How do you know Apple wasn't aware of this before the iPhone was released? They had deadlines. The new phones may be better constructed.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
This is how it should be. Glad to see Apple recognize this and offer replacements to those affected by it.

Exactlly. You put a phone in your too tight hipster jeans and sit on it and it bends it is surely Apple's problem.

And they can even advertise it: "You're Stupid? We step up!"

itsafreecountry

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
That's why I prefer the 3GS body style.

The battery on my 3GS finally died. Attached to motherboard and that part is hard to find. If found, expect a $100 to $200 replacement cost.

So the choice was made not to stock that part. Instead, sell more cheaply made phones with lesser materials for the same or higher price as the original.

Screw the environment. Make a new phone and buy a new phone every 1 to 3 years. I wish I could have kept my 3GS and if anyone knows where I can find a battery/motherboard combination, please let me know.

I

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Their source is an online Apple support representative. They get things wrong all the time and offer their own opinions on things.

For example I asked them about Retina MacBook Pro battery replacements. I asked if I could send my MacBook to Apple via courier to have the battery replaced, they said yes. This was via the online support system.

I then called Apple on the telephone and asked, and I was told in-fact, no. I had to take it to an authorised repair centre either at an Apple Store or a 3rd party that Apple has authorised to perform battery replacements. This is due to me living in the UK.

So don't take what these web support people say as gospel.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Very nice! Great job, Apple. Very quick response!

----------

How do you know Apple wasn't aware of this before the iPhone was released? They had deadlines. The new phones may be better constructed.

They are going to change the phone in its entirety after release for this? You also think they released these phones knowing about this ha, if so that says a lot for apple doesn't it?

If you look at the Ifixit teardown there is just no room left. There would be no way I can think of to reinforce it without a total redesign. I doubt that will happen.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
They are going to change the phone in its entirety after release for this? You also think they released these phones knowing about this ha, if so that says a lot for apple doesn't it?

If you look at the Ifixit teardown there is just no room left. There would be no way I can think of to reinforce it without a total redesign. I doubt that will happen.

Maybe we'll find out more later on this week. We have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. In the end, Apple had a deadline to meet and wants to make money. For all we know, it could have been a small 1%-3% of the iPhone 6+ with this issue.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
They likely will only replace it once and hope the owner learns something. They do not HAVE to replace it at all.

Hope the iPhone 7 is 3/4" thick!

If it really has a strutural flaw, they have to. The bad display connection soldering problem on the old macbooks almost got them banned in all of EU cause they didn't want to replace them.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland

While the product will be the same, to me if Apple indeed commits to replacing them it makes a big difference.

It means they are vouching for the quality of the product and taking the financial hit themselves in case of an issue instead of leaving it with the customer.

They couldn't make that commitment if they thought a very large proportion of devices would have to be exchanged.

Now what test they will run and what they will call "normal use" leaves them room to be more relaxed with their commitment ... lets see how thing happen in practice.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Exactlly. You put a phone in your too tight hipster jeans and sit on it and it bends it is surely Apple's problem.

And they can even advertise it: "You're Stupid? We step up!"

To be fair, the phones shouldn't be doing it regardless. I'm not saying that this is clearly Apple's fault, because I'm sure it's been stress-tested in R&D, but it's also feasible that people received faulty electronics that are more prone to bending. No phone should ever bend in one's pockets.

I'm in the middle on this issue and I wish more people were, I'm not blaming people who had their phones in their pockets for bending, a phone should clearly be able to be placed in pockets without concern.

It's the people who are now trying to bend their phones out of curiosity that I question.

Derpert

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Did anyone read the OP?

NO?

This isn't an Official apple response, just some paid temp on the end of a phone.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I wish I could have kept my 3GS and if anyone knows where I can find a battery/motherboard combination, please let me know.

I've been inside a 3GS, the battery is not attached to the motherboard. Now, it may take quite a bit of force to get the old battery detached from the back case, however the connector from the battery to the logic board is a simple gold contact. No soldering and it's not permanently attached to the board.

Now, to get the battery you have to take it all apart; the battery was the very first component to go into the case when the 3GS was manufactured meaning it's the last thing out.

nilart

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
London, UK
Honestly, I never needed an "official Apple response" to know that they will replace bent phones... anyone who has been using Apple products for a few years know that they will replace anything with any slightly signs of a problem, whether it's a dead/stuck pixel, a loose button, any cosmetic problem. Hell, they even did replace/refund many iPhone 4 when antenna-gate happened...

So it's no surprise. If you go to the Apple store saying this iPhone bends too easily they will replace or at least offer a refund if they know that all models suffer this problem (as happened with the iPhone 4).

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
While the product will be the same, to me if Apple indeed commits to replacing them it makes a big difference.

It means they are vouching for the quality of the product and taking the financial hit themselves in case of an issue instead of leaving it with the customer.

They couldn't make that commitment if they thought a very large proportion of devices would have to be exchanged.

Now what test they will run and what they will call "normal use" leaves them room to be more relaxed with their commitment ... lets see how thing happen in practice.

you really don't know how business works do you :) any dent in profits over this will be passed onto the customer in some way shape or form in the next fiscal year. All costs are passed onto the customer in business dealings. Nothing is ever free, nothing is ever a good deal UNLESS you haggle for it yourself. Then and only then can you know you got a deal.

And this topic is not an official response from apple inc. Its just a customer care rep saying if a genius looks at your iPhone he might replace it.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I'm not blaming people who had their phones in their pockets for bending, a phone should clearly be able to be placed in pockets without concern.

I agree... somewhat. But there's a direct correlation between trying to shoehorn a phablet size phone into a tight pocket and sitting on it and common sense. You've got a 1/4" thick device that you're going to exert a torque stress on. It's basic physics.

Full disclosure: I went to the Note 3 last year after a long succession of iPhones. There's definitely a difference on the way you need to handle the phone. Made more apparent by the fact I recently dropped it and had to have Samsung repair and switched to an S5 in the interim. I can throw that S5 anywhere due to it's size.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
you really don't know how business works do you :) any dent in profits over this will be passed onto the customer in some way shape or form in the next fiscal year. All costs are passed onto the customer in business dealings. Nothing is ever free, nothing is ever a good deal UNLESS you haggle for it yourself. Then and only then can you know you got a deal.

you really don't know how business works do you :) Sure they can pass additional cost onto customers to preserve their margin, but it will likely reduce sale numbers and impact their profits.

One way or another of they were to have to massively replace phones there would be a financial impact to them (not to mention an impact in terms of brand image).

Of course agreed this is not an official statement and we should wait and see what happens in practice though.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
you really don't know how business works do you :) Sure they can pass additional cost onto customers to preserve their margin, but it will likely reduce sale numbers and impact their profits.

One way or another of they were to have to massively replace phones there would be a financial impact to them (not to mention an impact in terms of brand image).

Running your own business I guess

For sure they will raise prices in one area of another. They did it before they will do it again. It won't reduce sales as they'll disguise it when the media coverage is right for people to accept it as a consequence of something else or hide it while people are distracted by something else. wake up

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Apple has made NO SUCH COMMITMENT!

If I were them I would send every iPhone 6 Plus owner a text telling them that they are not responsible if the phone bends if carried in their pocket.

Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.