Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icloud_icon_blue.jpg
Apple knew about an iCloud security flaw six months before it was utilized to hack celebrity accounts on the service, reports The Daily Dot. The company was notified of the exploit by independent security researcher Ibrahim Balic, who shared emails between himself and members of Apple's product security team.

In an email from March 2014, Balic told Apple that he was able to bypass the security of any iCloud account by using a "brute-force" hacking method that was able to try over 20,000 password combinations. Balic recommended to Apple that it should implement a feature in iCloud that prevents log-ins after a set number of failed attempts, and even reported the exploit through Apple's Bug Reporter. Balic was also the developer said to be behind the extended outage of Apple's Dev Center last year.

In May 2014, Apple emailed Balic and questioned the validity of the exploit, stating that it "would take an extraordinarily long time" to find a valid authentication token to get into an iCloud account using the flaw. Balic states that Apple continued to ask him about the exploit and how it would be utilized.

On September 1, 2014, hackers breached the iCloud accounts of many well-known actresses, downloading and leaking private photos and videos. While it was not initially known what caused the breach, The Next Web linked to a Python script on Github that may have been used for the hacking. The script utilized a brute-force like method which allowed hackers to keep guessing passwords without being locked out.

Apple acknowledged later in the day that it was investigating the breach, ultimately leading to comments from CEO Tim Cook along with new security implementations. Those implementations included automatic emails when iCloud accounts are accessed via web browsers, automatic two-factor authentication for iCloud.com, and mandatory app-specific passwords for third-party apps accessing iCloud.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Aware of iCloud Flaw Six Months Before Hacking of Celebrity Accounts

ThemePro

macrumors demi-god
May 1, 2010
Not surprising considering Apple fumbles their core tasks such as putting out maintenance release without properly testing them.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, more good news for apple. They're really hitting their stride with bad press lately.

Bending phone
iOS 8.01 bug that should not have been rolled out
iCloud security issues that should have been addressed sooner.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
And on my blog site that I don't have a news story just broke....

NSA infiltration at Apple prevents security measures being implemented earlier than necessary.

It has come to light that the NSA placed operatives within apples infrastructure so it could hack apple users accounts with ease. The operatives were tasked with delaying and in some case burying security holes that came to light. Their main task was to prevent the higher ups in apple from knowing about security breaches that were brought to the companies attention.

We reached out for comment from apple who replied they do not know how deep the infiltration goes but they will be implementing new security screenings and test procedures.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Surely wouldn't trust them with Apple pay now, imagine your credit card information stolen. :rolleyes:

Sean4000

Suspended
Aug 11, 2010
Celeb hacking

Apple should have addressed icloud sooner but there were things on the other side of the celeb hacking incident that could have been done to minimize catastrophic fallout.

I feel especially bad for Jennifer Lawrence. I can't see her career coming out unscathed over this.

Last edited:

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Another bad Apple. I've been seeing nothing but more bad news since Apple allowed the preorders of the iPhone 6.

I don't think I'll be using Apple pay anytime soon.

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
LOL, apple realy is on a roll lately. Leaked pics, great keyonte stream, bend gate, ios8 and 8.0.1.
Bravo, well deserver Thanksgiving break ;).

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
This wasn't Apple' fault.

This was fault of the celebrities and really anyone that trusts security questions. Have long security questions set up to help access your account if you forget your password isn't bad unless the answer to the question is public information.

For example, if your entire life is on Wikipedia, do choose "mother maiden name" and "HS mascot".
Almost all websites have this for the form "security" and its up the the user not to put stupid answers to the questions.
Is it good Apple is increasing security and making it more robust, yes. Should Apple be taking the majority of the blame for this situation,no.

Apple (or others) can create the best, most secure software and access the world have even seen. But even that can't protect you if your stupid.

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
never understood why Apple allowed unlimited attempts in the first place. every other site i use locks me out at least for a few hours after a few tries and sends an auto email

at this point i am just waiting for an ApplePay bug to happen lol

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
It's all going rather brilliantly at the moment isn't it.

Was just thinking the same, but tbh the only real c*ck-ups of the last few weeks have been the iCloud story and the 8.0.1 update.

Bentgate isn't really an issue, I think... I mean, if you apply lots of pressure to an aluminium phone, it will bend. That's not an issue, it's just physics. It's like all the drop tests: if you drop a glass item on the floor several times, the odds are it will break.

I still fail to see why this is an issue, but then again most people nowadays lack common sense.

Now, the iCloud security issues are indeed worrying if Apple knew about them 6 months before. Most people use rather weak passwords such as Password123, but still that's not excuse for ignoring a reported security flaw.

The iOS 801 update was also worrying. I updated to iOS 8 via iTunes, which is what I always do for big updates, but some friends who updated OTA are going nuts with their phones crashing and behaving weird.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
never understood why Apple allowed unlimited attempts in the first place. every other site i use locks me out at least for a few hours after a few tries and sends an auto email

at this point i am just waiting for an ApplePay bug to happen lol

How many celebrities would be able to use iCloud accounts in that case, if all a hacker has to do is guess the username and try to log in five times, to get their account locked?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Now, the iCloud security issues are indeed worrying if Apple knew about them 6 months before. Most people use rather weak passwords such as Password123, but still that's not excuse for ignoring a reported security flaw..

If your password is Password123, any loss of data is really self inflicted and you have nobody to blame.

realuseless

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
Can somebody pelase show me the proof that those leaked pics (some from years ago, before iCloud existed) came from hacked iCloud accounts. This clickbait sensationlism is getting rediculous.

The leaked pics came from and underground celeb-sex pic ring, where at least 2 different people were offering pics and there were several "collections" that were exposed at different times.

The iCloud vulnerability itself is obviously bad, however it worked only accounts with bad/easy passwords (the github python script used a list of 500 common passwords to bruteforce). If its true they knew about it from this Balic guy around March, then that indeed is bad news. However, linking it to the celeb-nudes is just bad journalism and sensationlism.

If the press is to be belived then we need to ask why this "4chan" hacker guy has not been found yet, and does he perhaps work for Apple...

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Bentgate isn't really an issue, I think... I mean, if you apply lots of pressure to an aluminium phone, it will bend. That's not an issue, it's just physics. It's like all the drop tests: if you drop a glass item on the floor several times, the odds are it will break.

I still fail to see why this is an issue, but then again most people nowadays lack common sense.

It depends how easily it bends. Most phones can be bent when there's enough force and that's acceptable. However, if the phone bends in totally normal use conditions, then that's an issue.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
I'm waiting or the not Apple's fault crowd.

I love apple products, the culture, heck I love everything about apple EXCEPT the excuses made for them. Apple prides itself on excellence. Until they no longer make quality and excellence a selling point their customers need to demand it and call them out when they under perform.

Making excuses for mistakes & sloppy work will not help Apple.

I Am Designer™

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
London, UK
This was a targeted phishing exercise over the course of months if not years.

Email accounts etc from many different services were hit, there was no 'hacking' that occured.

Could Apple have had alerts in place telling people accounts we're being accessed from the start - for sure. But weak passwords and weak answers to security questions when you're in the public eye won't ever stop someone gaining access to your account.

It's a shame that not only have the victims of the leaks been blamed for ever having personal things - irregardless of where they're shared, but that only Apple seems to be singled out as being 'hacked'. The latest leak of Kim Kardashian (Checked, for science) clearly shows her taking photos on a Blackberry - do Blackberries sync to iCloud? And yet blackberry are very well known for their security chops, but I haven't seen a single article talking about Blackberry being 'hacked'... Why? Because no one really cares about Blackberry, it's not good news to create a story about kicking a dead dog.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.