Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BritMac

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
I purchased a brand new factory sealed 13 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (MGX92B/A) on 22 August from eBay seller because it was cheaper than those of Apple store. When I registered the laptop with Apple yesterday, it granted me only 11 months warranty not 1 year as stated by the seller. On My Support Profile, it states "Estimated Expiration Date: August 26, 2015" and "Telephone Technical Support: Expired". It seems like someone registered it on Aug. 26 or Apple got it wrong. It looks like only way to correct is to send proof of purchase to Apple. I have requested invoice from seller. I am now awaiting response from seller.

Is this normal? Has anyone gone through this? Do you think that someone used the laptop and registered it with Apple before and seller sealed the box to make it look brand new? What would you advise me to do?

Thanks.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The warranty starts when the item is delivered to the original buyer. In your case, the warranty started when the person you got the laptop from bough it (which is likely to be 26 August 2014). It does not matter whether its factory sealed or not the moment you get it. If the seller claims that the warranty is 12 month, then you could argue that they have falsely advertised the item.

Or was it a commercial eBay shop? In that case you can send the proof or purchase to Apple and I am sure they will adjust your warranty accordingly.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
The ebay seller purchased it a month ago. Remember it's probably not an authorized apple dealer. If a dealer purchased it from apple the apple care doesn't get registered as a purchase until a customer purchases it.

It's weird the phone technical support has expired as they is supposed to be good for 90 days. That I would call apple about.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I generally agree with the posts above with the caveat that this would be the case if it was ordered on apple.com or purchased at the Apple Store. When you buy a MacBook directly from Apple they automatically register it at purchase. Since it is doubtful the eBay seller is an "Authorized Apple Re-seller" the warranty would have started at the time of original purchase. Not sure there is anything you can do about that but you could try calling Apple and ask nicely. You could also chalk it up to being one of the reasons you got a good price on it and enjoy your new MacBook!

I don't think this happens if it was bought at Amazon.com for example. In that case you would be asked to register it during setup. Either way I think they would consider the warranty start date to be the date on the original sales receipt or delivery invoice.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.