Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
My iPhone 6 Review

Let me start by saying I am an Apple guy…….have a house full of Apple products. Wouldn't be here on MR if i wasn’t. No hatchet job here….no fanboyism either…

Preordered the IP6 Space Gray 64GB and got it last Friday. First impressions were what an elegant looking phone. Very light and well balanced in my hand.
I was able to restore from my IP5s backup to my new IP6 and have all of my apps and data in about 20 minutes! Perfect! I wish it was that easy for my Android phones.

IOS8 is very nice….fast fluid and responsive. I love the IOS keyboard. It is the best keyboard of any device I have used. I like the new voice recording feature in IOS8 that lets you send voice recorded messages through iMessage.
You can install other keyboards now in IOS8. I installed SwiftKey…but to my dismay it no longer has the microphone option next to the space key on IOS8. It was a favorite feature of mine.

Camera
The camera is only 8MP….I know there is more to taking great pictures than just MP alone. But really the camera is not better than my IP5s. IMHO it is not as good as the camera on the GS5.
I wish Apple would have voice controls in IOS8 for the camera. So just say “shoot” and it takes the picture. No touching the screen or hardware buttons. I expected more from the camera. It is great camera…..but not a big upgrade over the IP5s IMHO.

TouchID
I love this feature. It reads my prints and adds a ease of use I never enjoyed before. I use it to unlock my phone and for iTunes authentication. It is the most accurate fingerprint scanner I have ever used. Better than that on the GS5 by a long shot!

Battery Life has been great! I could almost go 36 hours between charges based on my uses.
I find the IP6 loses very little battery life during down time with the screen off. During inactivity periods the battery seems to not lost anything. The benefits of an optimized OS!

Siri
Siri is nice……but really seems to have been ignored while other voice systems like Cortana has gotten better.

Form Factor

I like the way the IP6 feels in my hand. I like that it is narrow to allow a better one handed feel. At least for me anyway. I did worry about scratches on the back. I don't like to use cases on my phones. Just a personal preference of mine. My IP5s scratched a bit on the back. So i got the Zagg Invisible Shield Glass full body. It protects the front screen and the back to prevent scratches. The front glass film is supposed to help prevent a shattered screen. It is supposed to shatter instead and just just be peeled off. Hope I never have to find out if it works or not! :)
http://www.zagg.com/shop-by-device/apple-iphone-6-accessories

Pros

Optimized OS…
TouchID
Battery life
Form Factor
Build quality
Camera

Cons
Camera…expected more
Storage access. I wish i could access the 64Gb of storage.
Form Factor is great but…..almost too thin
Siri

Wish list for IP6s or IP7

Notification light in the upper left corner of the screen. Can customize color according to apps.
Access to storage similar to external hard drive. Ability to drag and drop files while plugged into my iMac.
SD Card……..C’mon Apple its time.
Siri needs an upgrade to catch up to Cortana
Voice options in camera to take pictures.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Check this out and tell me the camera isn't better than the 5S:

http://snapsnapsnap.photos/how-does-the-iphone-6-camera-compare-to-previous-iphone-cameras/

Also, if you aren't on Yosemite yet, you have AirDrop from Mac to iPhone to look forward to. It's worked with just about every file format I've tried.

Combine that with the new extensions (once devs take advantage) and you'll be able to quickly and wirelessly transfer whatever from you Mac to your iPhone and let whatever app you choose open it up.

I'm still a bit curious as to what the promo pics of iCloud Drive are showing.....I have yet to see that menu on my iPhone. I'm hoping they'll open that up a little more.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Notification light in the upper left corner of the screen. Can customize color according to apps.
Access to storage similar to external hard drive. Ability to drag and drop files while plugged into my iMac.

1. Would like some sort of lit notification--would be really cool if it was incorporated into the Touch ID/home button

2. Would be nice but serious doubt it will happen.

3. Never gonna happen. And if Samsung continues down the Galaxy Alpha design path, you may see the inclusion of the SD card even less. Google has made it clear they'd even prefer it wasn't included.

4. No argue net from me regarding Siri--hasn't really progressed very far and needs some improvement.

5. Sounds like a great idea, would be nice to have to take attention away from framing a shot to make sure I hit the shutter button.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
My iPhone 6 Review

Let me start by saying I am an Apple guy…….have a house full of Apple products. Wouldn't be here on MR if i wasn’t. No hatchet job here….no fanboyism either…

Preordered the IP6 Space Gray 64GB and got it last Friday. First impressions were what an elegant looking phone. Very light and well balanced in my hand.
I was able to restore from my IP5s backup to my new IP6 and have all of my apps and data in about 20 minutes! Perfect! I wish it was that easy for my Android phones.

IOS8 is very nice….fast fluid and responsive. I love the IOS keyboard. It is the best keyboard of any device I have used. I like the new voice recording feature in IOS8 that lets you send voice recorded messages through iMessage.
You can install other keyboards now in IOS8. I installed SwiftKey…but to my dismay it no longer has the microphone option next to the space key on IOS8. It was a favorite feature of mine.

Camera
The camera is only 8MP….I know there is more to taking great pictures than just MP alone. But really the camera is not better than my IP5s. IMHO it is not as good as the camera on the GS5.
I wish Apple would have voice controls in IOS8 for the camera. So just say “shoot” and it takes the picture. No touching the screen or hardware buttons. I expected more from the camera. It is great camera…..but not a big upgrade over the IP5s IMHO.

TouchID
I love this feature. It reads my prints and adds a ease of use I never enjoyed before. I use it to unlock my phone and for iTunes authentication. It is the most accurate fingerprint scanner I have ever used. Better than that on the GS5 by a long shot!

Battery Life has been great! I could almost go 36 hours between charges based on my uses.
I find the IP6 loses very little battery life during down time with the screen off. During inactivity periods the battery seems to not lost anything. The benefits of an optimized OS!

Siri
Siri is nice……but really seems to have been ignored while other voice systems like Cortana has gotten better.

Form Factor

I like the way the IP6 feels in my hand. I like that it is narrow to allow a better one handed feel. At least for me anyway. I did worry about scratches on the back. I don't like to use cases on my phones. Just a personal preference of mine. My IP5s scratched a bit on the back. So i got the Zagg Invisible Shield Glass full body. It protects the front screen and the back to prevent scratches. The front glass film is supposed to help prevent a shattered screen. It is supposed to shatter instead and just just be peeled off. Hope I never have to find out if it works or not! :)

Pros

Optimized OS…
TouchID
Battery life
Form Factor
Build quality
Camera

Cons
Camera…expected more
Siri

jamezr, are you planning to keep the iPhone as your daily driver or will you return to one of your Android devices?

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
My iPhone 6 Review

Camera

TouchID

Siri

Form Factor

Pros

Optimized OS…
TouchID
Battery life
Form Factor
Build quality
Camera

Cons
Camera…expected more
Siri

Hate to say but there have already been many comparisons that show that the IP6 camera blows all the other cameras out of the water

trmiv

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Thanks for the this. The camera thing is the biggest consideration for me that has me deciding between the iPhone 6/6+ or the Note 4. I really don't like the camera on my Galaxy S4, and with a 17 month old, camera has moved to the top of heap on smartphone decisions. You like the Galaxy S5 camera better than the iPhone?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hate to say but there have already been many comparisons that show that the IP6 camera blows all the other cameras out of the water

Here are 2 pictures taken 30 seconds apart from my desk.
No editing...just point and shoot. No processing afterwards.

iPhone 6
CWyCuZql.jpg

Galaxy S5
yY7Iqcel.jpg

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Impressive given the low light. Both are very good.

Both phones have an f2.2 lends but the S5 seems to make better use of the light coming in. Might be that it uses a higher ISO setting to grab more at the expense of noise (although I can't see any real difference in noise levels)

Here are 2 pictures taken 30 seconds apart from my desk.
No editing...just point and shoot. No processing afterwards.

iPhone 6

Galaxy S5

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
jamezr, are you planning to keep the iPhone as your daily driver or will you return to one of your Android devices?
Right now it is my daily driver for now. I really like the IP6........but I do miss my GS5. I want to really look at the Z3 Compact when/if it comes to AT&T.

----------

1. Would like some sort of lit notification--would be really cool if it was incorporated into the Touch ID/home button

2. Would be nice but serious doubt it will happen.

3. Never gonna happen. And if Samsung continues down the Galaxy Alpha design path, you may see the inclusion of the SD card even less. Google has made it clear they'd even prefer it wasn't included.

4. No argue net from me regarding Siri--hasn't really progressed very far and needs some improvement.

5. Sounds like a great idea, would be nice to have to take attention away from framing a shot to make sure I hit the shutter button.
Didn't think of using the TouchID as a light! Genius!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Its not about being pro or anti anything. Look at the results. Neither "blows the other out of the water".

I love that in many of the comparisons the GS5 wins because when you zoom in on the pics, they are clearer.

Well....duh....16mp vs 8mp means more detail when you blow them up. Really all that number means.

But how often is this necessary?

I would concur that both cameras are great overall and each has an area or two where it excels. I think a big improvement for the 6 and 6+ versus previous iPhones (and perhaps Androids) comes with the Focus Pixels which allow for much faster and finer focusing.

I forget Jamezr has me on ignore, but I posted a link to a comparison of every iPhone camera thus far. Jamezr claims the 6 isn't any better than his 5S.....the link I posted would seem to contradict that statement.

Kinda neat seeing how far smartphone camera tech has come!

Rangomango

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Thanks for the helpful review!

One this that always gets left out in reviews is front camera...till this day, even with the lower MP count I can't find a phone that takes a better "selfie" than the iPhone.

The S5 front camera is pretty bad, even worse than the s4. The g3 and m8 both take decent front cam pics, but still compared to the iPhone they aren't as good.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks for the helpful review!

One this that always gets left out in reviews is front camera...till this day, even with the lower MP count I can't find a phone that takes a better "selfie" than the iPhone.

The S5 front camera is pretty bad, even worse than the s4. The g3 and m8 both take decent front cam pics, but still compared to the iPhone they aren't as good.
You have a great point. The front camera on the iPhone is top notch. But you rarely ever see a review on it! :)

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I love that in many of the comparisons the GS5 wins because when you zoom in on the pics, they are clearer.

Well....duh....16mp vs 8mp means more detail when you blow them up. Really all that number means.

But how often is this necessary?

I would concur that both cameras are great overall and each has an area or two where it excels. I think a big improvement for the 6 and 6+ versus previous iPhones (and perhaps Androids) comes with the Focus Pixels which allow for much faster and finer focusing.

I forget Jamezr has me on ignore, but I posted a link to a comparison of every iPhone camera thus far. Jamezr claims the 6 isn't any better than his 5S.....the link I posted would seem to contradict that statement.

Kinda neat seeing how far smartphone camera tech has come!

can i see that link?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
You have a great point. The front camera on the iPhone is top notch. But you rarely ever see a review on it! :)
I believe the OPO has a 3mp front facing camera doesn't it?

Nonetheless, it takes great selfie pics and you can also zoom in! I haven't tried the iP6+ front facing camera and I'm not sure if it zooms in either; I'm sure someone will confirm.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm still deciding whether to replace my iPhone 5S 64gb with a 6 too, but can't justify it for the amount of use my iPhone 5S gets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.