Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hey all
I am in two minds now. If I should just buy the iPhone 5s instead of the 6. A little background information here. I have the iphone 5. I have had it for nearly 2 years now.

I love my slate iphone 5. Love the size and everything about it. I have only ever experienced 3G internet on it though. As my carrier doesn't supper the LTE band on my iPhone 5 I am on an unlimited 3G data plan and never really use over 2 gig of data a month.

Now since I have never had a problem with my iPhone 5. I was thinking it's time to change and get the iPhone 6. But after seeing the 6 am thinking if I should just get a 5s instead. Mainly due to the siza and shape of it. Also the iPhone 5s LTE will be supported by my carrier. I will have to update my plan to one that gives me 8 gig of LTE data a month but that's more than what I use so I am cool with that. However just thinking that how future proof would it be if I just got the iPhone 5s instead of the 6. As I am going to be buying the next iPhone full price from apple its money I want to spend wisely. One of my friends think am crazy if I go for the 5s. However for me the benefits will be faster iPhone and Touch ID and will be able to benefit LTE. Which is what I will get with the 6 as well. What do you guys think. How well ios 8 run on iPhone 5s apart from the issues we know about. Thanks for reading.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
IN MY OPINION, I wouldn't waste an upgrade buying a 5S. Simply put.

If I was going from a 5S to a 6, I can see why some would hesitate. If I had an iPhone 5 though, I wouldn't burn my upgrade going to a 5 when the 6 isn't out. A no brainer at least to me.

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
You wont be able to use Apple Pay once it takes off...but if you dont care for that then the 5s still be fine. If i were you..i'd stay with the 5.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
You wont be able to use Apple Pay once it takes off...but if you dont care for that then the 5s still be fine. If i were you..i'd stay with the 5.

Thing about apple pay is. I already have that technology on my debit card. Which I use all the time. But I know what your saying.

----------

IN MY OPINION, I wouldn't waste an upgrade buying a 5S. Simply put.

If I was going from a 5S to a 6, I can see why some would hesitate. If I had an iPhone 5 though, I wouldn't burn my upgrade going to a 5 when the 6 isn't out. A no brainer at least to me.

True 5s to 6 I see what you mean. I won't really be burning my upgrade as I will be paying full price for the iPhone. So will still have an upgrade available for me. My iPhone 6 experience has only been limited for 15 mins or so in my carrier store. Think I need to see it again for real. Decisions decisions. Thanks for your input.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
If you are not happy with what the iPhone 6 has to offer, just keep the iPhone 5 for another year and make the bigger leap to iPhone 6S (or whatever it will be called in 2015).

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Buy the 6. If you do not like it sell it and go back to your 5. If you find a cheap 5S and really want it, go for it but the upgrade isn't a big step.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
The 5s is a decent upgrade over the 5. Adding LTE is huge. But in the end, it isn't going to be all that different from what you have. Imo, not worth it. If I were you, I'd get the 6 and use it for a week. See if you adjust to the size. If not, return it and get the 5s.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Buy the 6. If you do not like it sell it and go back to your 5. If you find a cheap 5S and really want it, go for it but the upgrade isn't a big step.

Hm this may be the best idea. Then that way I can see how I get on I guess. Thanks think may do this instead. Hoping to get it on Saturday so will report back #

shaunmed

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
get the iphone 6+! everyone's having a great time with it if you dont count the "benders".

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Get the iPhone 6. You won't regret it. The size is just right for most people who are upgrading from the 5.

I have the 6+ and my wife has the 6. After handling both of them, the 6 is great for users who are concerned about size in my opinion.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Unless you're really hard pressed for money, I see absolutely no reason to use an upgrade on the 5S with the 6 being out. Always get the latest model (finances permitting) when using an upgrade.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Hey all
I am in two minds now. If I should just buy the iPhone 5s instead of the 6. A little background information here. I have the iphone 5. I have had it for nearly 2 years now.

I love my slate iphone 5. Love the size and everything about it. I have only ever experienced 3G internet on it though. As my carrier doesn't supper the LTE band on my iPhone 5 I am on an unlimited 3G data plan and never really use over 2 gig of data a month.

Now since I have never had a problem with my iPhone 5. I was thinking it's time to change and get the iPhone 6. But after seeing the 6 am thinking if I should just get a 5s instead. Mainly due to the siza and shape of it. Also the iPhone 5s LTE will be supported by my carrier. I will have to update my plan to one that gives me 8 gig of LTE data a month but that's more than what I use so I am cool with that. However just thinking that how future proof would it be if I just got the iPhone 5s instead of the 6. As I am going to be buying the next iPhone full price from apple its money I want to spend wisely. One of my friends think am crazy if I go for the 5s. However for me the benefits will be faster iPhone and Touch ID and will be able to benefit LTE. Which is what I will get with the 6 as well. What do you guys think. How well ios 8 run on iPhone 5s apart from the issues we know about. Thanks for reading.

Hmm, if I had a 5 I am sure I would move to the 6. I have been to the Apple store a few times now, trying both 6 and 6 Plus. I REALLY like the feel of the 6. easy to hold, reach the buttons, and "one-hand" like I seem to do a lot of the time.

The 6 Plus screen is, of course, amazing, but not sure I want to change how I use the phone. The 6Plus would replace my rMini for quite a few uses. But is is just not as easy to hold.

(I currently have a 5S. For me the big question is whether or not the 6 is enough of a step up to spend the difference. Sill a little on the fence between 6 and 6Plus, but leaning towards 6 . . .)

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
I'm in a similar boat, coming to the end of my 2 year contract with my 5 and I was all set and excited for the 6 but once I tried one in the store, I just wasn't happy with the way it felt in my hand, and now I'm thinking that I might just stick with my 5, it's still just as speedy as ever and just feels nice in my hand, I mean, that new screen is nice and all but I'm not sure it's really worth the money, maybe I'll cave eventually but I'm thinking I'll wait for the 6S and hope they make the camera lens flush again, and remove the silly plastic lines on the back.

I never considered that I wouldn't like the design of an apple device and now I'm in the apple Eco system switching to android would just be more hassle than it's worth so my only option is to wait for the next one.

I did consider the 5S but it's such a small upgrade from the 5 for nearly the same cost as the 6 that it seemed silly.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Going from a 5 to a 5s doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me. I'd say either get a 6, or since you say you love your 5 and have no problems with it, you can just stick with it and see what the 6s has to offer next year. The longer you hold off on upgrading the better phone you'll end up with in the end.

soundxplorer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
But after seeing the 6 am thinking if I should just get a 5s instead. Mainly due to the size and shape of it.

You're more than happy with the 5, so stick with it one more year. Wait and see what the 6s is like. Or maybe Apple decides that bigger isn't better and they release an updated 4" phone.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hey just an update

I got the iPhone 6 in space gray colour. Love it. Made the right decision. :)

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Hey all

If you can and haven't already, go to your carrier store or closest Apple store and test out the 6 there. My wife was of the same mind about the size of the 6, but after using it for a bit, she bought it and loves it.
I think you'll be hindering yourself if you stick with the 5s.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd opt for the iPhone 6 over the 5s, just because you're spending a lot of money on last year's technology.

blueflower

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
I'm one of those people that prefers the S cycle due to stability and reliability. My vote is for the 5s. If it were between the 5s and the 6s perhaps then for me it would be a no brainer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.