Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I actually built mine it's own environment.

BFI_dumpster.jpg

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
For those of you that have no idea what these machines are:

http://www.apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=imac_cdrw
http://www.apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=imacse_cdrw&performa=off&sort=family&order=ASC

Didn't Apple have a massive recall to get all these machines back so there was no evidence that they ever made such an ugly machine? Then they beat the heck out of everyone who purchased one just for being a gullible buyer?

That didn't happen? I guess I just thought it should have then. :rolleyes:

corbin_a2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
You guy's are harsh! They look kinda cool in person. Of course that's what I heard from complete strangers! :D

jrk07

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
I have never actually seen either of those. Are these things big collector's items nowadays? I know most people would think they are ugly, but the "flower power" design would surely sell well to women who want a "cute" computer.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
jrk07 said:
I have never actually seen either of those. Are these things big collector's items nowadays? I know most people would think they are ugly, but the "flower power" design would surely sell well to women who want a "cute" computer.
Or to hippies who are still living in the 60's. ;)

C

CompUser

A teacher of mine has a flower power, she's very proud of it...

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Oddly enough, all the pictures I can find of these comps are in stores.. None in homes :rolleyes:

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
My university has a computer lab filled with the blue dalmation iMacs. Pretty scary.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
I think they're cool too.
I used to really like the OS 9 Flower Power desktop image - shame it is only 1024x768 :( (same goes for the old 'Bottles' desktop image).

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
I seem to be the first in this thread to actually own one of these bad boys! Alright... well i don't have a digital camera, and its also back at my folk's place, so i can't really hook you up with photos. That was our family's first new computer, before that it was an LC2, and its still the only computer in our house. I moved out in January though and just got a new imac for my apartment. What a big step, except while this thing has that fancy new processor, it definitely does not have blue spots!

About that though, don't go thinking that my family is totally fruity or something. All they had in stock at this apple retailer were flower power and blue dalmation. My dad REALLY wanted to wait the two weeks for when they'd get the dark blue ones or grey ones... i forgot which colour, but something normal. But we were heading out of town and i wanted to have the thing before school got going.

I never really regretted... it just makes people notice it more when they come over.

The best part though was when i moved out, i took the computer table and my folk's brought up this old elegant, dark wood table from my grandparent's old place. Talk about a contrast!

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I really like them too.

If I had the money I'd be tracking down a Flower Power iMac.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
ya i'm quite proud of mine, happy my folks aren't upgrading or anything.. that'd just be silly, this thing is totally adequate for their web browsing/ word processing purposes. I hope they keep it for a very long time.
It had some hard drive troubles, back in the OS 9 days, had to replace the drive, but that's cool cause then it got a 40 gig instead of the 20 gig. And then another time, it got zapped by lightning through the modem... ouch, that was a rough one, needed a new motherboard or something, 400$ or something.

But now it runs decently smooth on 10.4 with the 576mb of ram its had since we first upgraded to 10.2.

I'll try to find some pics.

aeelements

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2006
Bally, PA
Flower Power OS 9 Desktop Pattern

Will Cheyney,
I actually took that original flower power pattern from OS 9 that was 1024x768 and, with the help of Photoshop, turned it into a beautiful 1440x900 (Intel iMac) desktop image! It was done entirely by cloning so there is no resolution loss.

(I just got ahold of my very first iMac Flower Power, and, I must say it's more "realistic" in real life. It has a very clean look, better than I had imagined; and, with it's still-brightly sharp monitor, runs like a charm!)

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
i thought the Blue Dalmation was biitchin!

anyway, I don't own either of these, but I do have a lime green iBook, which is nearly as infamous. is that close enough to warrant a setup photo?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.