Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
What do you do with it?

I've moved my iTunes library to an external hard drive, but that doesn't help so much. I HAVE an airport extreme, one of the white ones that looks like a Mac Mini, but I've never been able to get it to integrate into my network via Wifi.

Can I patch it into my network using something else e.g. Ethernet over power, so as I can have it established in another room where I have my external hard drive?

I just need to get a USB port on my network so I can access my external hard drive without having to be plugged in.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Try setting up the Extreme to only join the network - not extend it. Sometimes extending doesn't work great with a non-Apple base router.

Same thing, actually - if you want to try it plugging in the network instead of wireless, just have it join the network that it is plugged into.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
What do you do with it?

I've moved my iTunes library to an external hard drive, but that doesn't help so much. I HAVE an airport extreme, one of the white ones that looks like a Mac Mini, but I've never been able to get it to integrate into my network via Wifi.

Can I patch it into my network using something else e.g. Ethernet over power, so as I can have it established in another room where I have my external hard drive?

I just need to get a USB port on my network so I can access my external hard drive without having to be plugged in.

I'm confused, what does having a hard drive plugged into your Airport Extreme have to do with an unwieldy iTunes Library? Having a hard drive plugged intot he Airport Extreme doesn't reduce the reliance on iTunes......

Maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited:

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
It doesn't reduce anything it just movies the issue to somewhere else where I don't have to deal with it and frees up the portability of my MacBook again so it doesn't have a hard drive physically attached to it.

I really do wish Apple would release a proper iTunes digital media server already considering how many people are using them rather than any number of cobbled together solutions like the one I've got set up now.

I plugged my Airport Extreme into my wireless router and it works, it's just not a very good solution.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
What do you do with it?

It's doable but it's not the simplest thing. I've use an Airport as a network extender/repeater. I recall I had to assign it a specific IP address. This was a few years ago so I can't recall the exact details.

I've got my iTunes on an old white Macbook that I was given; I installed a cheap SSD and it works great. It's connected to my stereo. I can control it via my tablet or phone or the white plastic Apple remote.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Yeah it's done, and it doesn't seem to be an issue with a DHCP assigned IP address from my ADSL router. The biggest issue I'm facing now is that it's on an even slower wireless N connection which means that transferring any new content to it is near impossible due to the pathetic 35mb/s link.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Yeah it's done, and it doesn't seem to be an issue with a DHCP assigned IP address from my ADSL router. The biggest issue I'm facing now is that it's on an even slower wireless N connection which means that transferring any new content to it is near impossible due to the pathetic 35mb/s link.
Nice!

If you're doing a big dump onto the new HD, why not plug in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.