Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJny9956

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
So I did the software update on a perfectly working Apple TV. Right after the update everything seemed to be ok but it caused a lot of problems!!!

1. Internet connection via Ethernet:
-On wake the Apple TV hides all the apps on home screen except for computers & settings. It gives me a notification that it has no internet. weird thing is that I can still control it via Remote app using home share and I get access to home share computer! So that means it's somehow connected?
-wifi seems to work fine
-entering in Ethernet specs manually also works well
-eventually all the apps show up and device detects Internet but takes a really long time

2. Device turns off? Airplay disappears from network.
-I have the sleep on as I did with previous os but it seems the whole thing stops advertising it's services over the network. Now I have to manually wake up the tv every time, only then airplay shows up and once again I'll get the no network message with only computers & setting on the home screen.

I tried using different Ethernet cable, reset all settings nothing fixed it.

FYI: the Apple TV is connected to AirPort Extreme via Ethernet.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Imagine you have 35 of these Apple TVs connected to projectors around a school all hidden in ceilings and everything has been fine, then Apple push out this update and you come in during the morning to teachers going nuts at you because they cannot get their Macs or iPads to see their classroom Apple TV and you have to keep going round with step ladders..... yes that was my day today. Having to set Sleep to NEVER. We moved away from Microsoft to escape these kind of annoyances!

Submit Apple Feedback

https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Tell them about the problem.

iJny9956

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
This kind of thing is now more common with Apple. It seems like back in the day there were fewer updates with major stable releases. Now there is a release like every month but buggy!!

Quality / quantity?

Really sad.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Indeed one of ours that took the ios7 update is doing the same.
I think I may have found a temp fix that may help some out.
If you have your atv3 hardwired via Ethernet and also have wifi from your network, set it up also under the wifi settings, to do this you will first need to disconnect the ethernet cable. Once done, connect that ethernet backup and restart the atv.
It should default to Ethernet, yet it will now been seen as a airplay device.
I have not yet check to make sure the data is being transited via ethernet as I just started testing my own cures.

Cherrysoda

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
I had to downgrade my atv - if it was connected to power my mini (also attached to the same tv on hdmi) kept losing audio for a couple of seconds every few minutes. Tried just disconnecting hdmi but only completely unplugging the atv from the power fixed it. Happened on 10.9.4 and 10.9.5. Thinking it might be AirPlay related somehow.

I also had disappearing AirPlay and loss of network during sleep. This is the initial atv3 version.

I loved the new UI :(

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Great and no known fix or feedback from Apple ? Me and the ATV 'restart ' click will become fast friends then I guess

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Imagine you have 35 of these Apple TVs connected to projectors around a school...

I am pretty sure that if I had dozens of Apple TVs in daily use by non-techy users I would have "Update Automatically" set to Off.

A.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
So I did the software update on a perfectly working Apple TV. Right after the update everything seemed to be ok but it caused a lot of problems!!!

1. Internet connection via Ethernet:
-On wake the Apple TV hides all the apps on home screen except for computers & settings. It gives me a notification that it has no internet. weird thing is that I can still control it via Remote app using home share and I get access to home share computer! So that means it's somehow connected?
-wifi seems to work fine
-entering in Ethernet specs manually also works well
-eventually all the apps show up and device detects Internet but takes a really long time

2. Device turns off? Airplay disappears from network.
-I have the sleep on as I did with previous os but it seems the whole thing stops advertising it's services over the network. Now I have to manually wake up the tv every time, only then airplay shows up and once again I'll get the no network message with only computers & setting on the home screen.

I tried using different Ethernet cable, reset all settings nothing fixed it.

FYI: the Apple TV is connected to AirPort Extreme via Ethernet.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Can't help you with #1, but for #2 why not just leave the AppleTV on without letting it go to sleep. Anandtech did a check and the power at idle was almost nothing (AppleTV 3 V1 is 1.4W and V2 is .7W)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6834/apple-tv-2013-a1469-short-review-analysis-of-a-new-a5

For that little power sipping (that's 30 days for 1 KWhr for v1 and 60 days for 1KWhr used for a v2).....

No idea what the stand by power, but even that will probably be at least .2Whr

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I haven't updated out three Apple TVs because I didn't care much for the new interface. It looks good on the smaller iOS home screen, but on a TV the icons are just... weird.

Anywho, I'll keep alerting people not to upgrade. Sucks so many people are having problems but I would like to thank you for letting us know these issues so we can avoid the update.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Imagine you have 35 of these Apple TVs connected to projectors around a school all hidden in ceilings and everything has been fine, then Apple push out this update and you come in during the morning to teachers going nuts at you because they cannot get their Macs or iPads to see their classroom Apple TV and you have to keep going round with step ladders..... yes that was my day today. Having to set Sleep to NEVER. We moved away from Microsoft to escape these kind of annoyances!

Submit Apple Feedback

https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Tell them about the problem.

Thank you for the warning. I really don't feel like missing class to go into the attic to restart an Apple TV for the math teacher...

brermike

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I had the same issue with #1 after installing the new software. Ethernet worked fine at first then just stopped working. Can not connect, but works fine via wi-fi. Re-installed software and reset settings. Changed ethernet cable and verified connection worked on other devices. Very strange. Hopefully a fix will come as I would rather use ethernet than wi-fi.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Both my Apple TV'3s are slow to show up on my iPads 4/5 & iPhone 5s. I wish Apple would spend more time testing. It could be ISO 8 causing Apple TV problems.

Why would you have Apple TVs in the ceiling seems totally crazy to me, also updating them all without trying a couple first is crazy as well.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Both my Apple TV'3s are slow to show up on my iPads 4/5 & iPhone 5s. I wish Apple would spend more time testing. It could be ISO 8 causing Apple TV problems.

Why would you have Apple TVs in the ceiling seems totally crazy to me, also updating them all without trying a couple first is crazy as well.

It really isn't crazy at all. Many schools and businesses mount their projectors on the ceiling. Due to building codes, you cannot have a flexible cord go through a ceiling so your choice is either mount it above (and hardwire it in) or mount it below the ceiling. In one classroom at my school it just sits in a little bracket on top of the projector, in the other it is mounted in a bracket onto a rafter in the attic which is right above that room. It works great and I am going to run an Ethernet cable from the closest AirPort Express's Ethernet LAN port to the LAN port on the Apple TV to decrease latency.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Is this ATV model specific issue(s) ?

I have updated two ATV3 (second generation) with 7.0 and have so far not noticed any issues. Both devices run on WiFi and are put to sleep when not in use.

iVegas

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Did this update effect video? Ever since the update happened streaming content stutters, flickers and is almost unwatchable to me. It's been driving me crazy.

phoenixXx

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
Has anyone else been having an issue with playback of video played from computer? Apple tv won't play most files, keeps throwing back an error, i rolled back to ios6 and that fixed it but it updated automatically again and same issue, il turn off auto updates but havent seen anyone else having this issue???

dlweninger

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
My ATV3 keeps saying that home sharing on my Mac is not turned on? And my iPad Air IOS8 will not mirror? Any ideas.

iJny9956

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
*update*

Thanks everyone for looking into this,
I had some time Sunday afternoon so i decided to tinker with the Apple TV.

- I did a full restore (for some reason i had to do this two times to get the results below)
- checked to see if i get any of these symptoms previously experienced.

#1 is solved, Ethernet is detected instantly.

#2 is 1/2 solved...:confused: Apple TV stops advertising its airplay service when the device sleeps on Ethernet. for some strange reason it works fine on wifi.

I realize i can set this thing to no sleep ever... but still seems like it is a bug!

----

I've ordered me a micro USB cable, ill put 6.2 back on and stay on that version for awhile...:(

searching-again

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2014
USA
This kind of thing is now more common with Apple. It seems like back in the day there were fewer updates with major stable releases. Now there is a release like every month but buggy!!

Quality / quantity?

Really sad.

Which is why I originally bailed on Windows in the first place and am now heavily invested in Apple products. I'm not happy about the change in direction Apple seems to have undertaken.

----------

Did this update effect video? Ever since the update happened streaming content stutters, flickers and is almost unwatchable to me. It's been driving me crazy.

Same here!

----------

Thanks for the heads up, I wont be installing this update on my Apple TV.

I didn't even agree to this week's upgrade. I turned on the ATV, went to do something else for a minute, and when I returned and turned on the television, I saw the update finishing up via WiFi.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
My ATV is on WiFi and running 7.0

I have seen none of the issues reported in this thread.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I'm having the same issue with ethernet getting disconnected. Rebooting the router is the only thing that will bring it back online. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.