Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needaname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
Hey guys,

my girlfriend has accidentally dropped her iPhone 5C on the floor while at work...

First time it happened since she has the phone and the screen got a scratch.
It's not that big, but it's bad... It's horizontal, covering all the distance of the screen from left to right.

Now... I bought her the phone as a Christmas gift last December, and my heart is crying because I used financing and I'm still paying for it... It's still in warranty of course, but no Apple Care.

I gave a look at the forums and seems like bringing it at the Apple Store sometimes they replace it and others they don't, is that true? It's all about luck? Or there is any alternative to fix it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Tekzilla

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Shoreham, NY
Best advice is to set up an appointment at the nearest Apple store, be honest, sincere and see if they will replace it for free. Key thing is to not actually ask them to replace it for free. Just bring it in, tell them what happened, let them look at it and let them say what they will do.

If they try to charge you, you have three options...

1. Pay the fee for a new screen
2. Live with the scratch
3. Say no thank you, leave and try setting up another appointment and get another Apple CSR, sometimes it really does depend on who you get.

needaname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
Best advice is to set up an appointment at the nearest Apple store, be honest, sincere and see if they will replace it for free. Key thing is to not actually ask them to replace it for free. Just bring it in, tell them what happened, let them look at it and let them say what they will do.

If they try to charge you, you have three options...

1. Pay the fee for a new screen
2. Live with the scratch
3. Say no thank you, leave and try setting up another appointment and get another Apple CSR, sometimes it really does depend on who you get.

Thanks a lot for the advise, we'll try that :)

asmith406

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
a cheaper alternative if they won't fix it would be to replace the screen on your own. They run about $60 through Gadget Menders online store and they have a repair service too that's about $90. I used their repair service on one of my phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.