Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinlud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Hi, is there any information about gpu on macbook pro 2015? Will they maintain the same gpu of 2014 or a new one?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
No rumours

There are no current murmerings but I think we could assume either a Maxwell dGPU in the high end 15 inch with the broadwell update, or Apple may well consider the broadwell iGPU good enough and do away with dGPU in all it's notebook line up.

spinlud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Thanks for the informations. Is it sensed to wait mid 2015 for the new mbp line or go with the late 2014 model?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks for the informations. Is it sensed to wait mid 2015 for the new mbp line or go with the late 2014 model?

If you are interested in playing contemporary AAA games, I'd say wait. If you are not playing games, go with the current model.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
If you don't nned a new computer...

If you don't need a new computer then don't buy one if you do then go for it. I don't think broadwell is going to be the massive upgrade everyone thinks it is to be honest.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I think Broadwell will mainly help small laptops like the macbook air and the microsoft surface. In the current 15" macbook pro body the lower power CPU might allow for a more energy hungry dGPU. As for the dGPU in the next version, I'd expect a different one. The gt 750m is actually a slightly modified gt 650m which was in the original retina macbook pro (2012) and might be getting slightly long in the tooth.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Apple relegate the dGPU to the top tier 15" computer as we can expect better graphics performance from the CPU with Broadwell.

spinlud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Thank you very much guys. I use the mbp for audio stuff and game development with unity, so maybe it will be worth the wait for the 2015 model i guess

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
The Broadwell "tick" update is expected to vastly improve the GPU and power management with the Skywell "tock" update focusing more on the CPU. I think this will be a fantastic update for the Mac Mini and Apple laptops.

On the dGPU front, I bet Apple sticks with the nVidia GT 750M :) Actually, nVidia's Maxwell dGPUs look impressive and use a lot less power than current nVidia dGPUs.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Is gtx good for macbook pro retina or overkill?

The original mid-2012 macbook pro actually had an overclocked GT 650M by default so it was slightly better than the stock GTX 660M. Since the screen has a much higher resolution than the old ones, it isn't really an overkill if you want to play 3D intensive games at a good resolution.

lionkin

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2014
West Hollywood
The original mid-2012 macbook pro actually had an overclocked GT 650M by default so it was slightly better than the stock GTX 660M. Since the screen has a much higher resolution than the old ones, it isn't really an overkill if you want to play 3D intensive games at a good resolution.

I am not a gamer but for photography or other apps for media. I am happy with Intel Iris pro, and It can handle all my task. I will stay away from dgpu for now.

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013
If you are interested in playing contemporary AAA games, I'd say wait. If you are not playing games, go with the current model.

If your playing contemporary games steer as far clear of MacBooks as you can...lol...doesn't matter what year you buy it they will always be behind the curve as far as gaming is concerned.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
There are no current murmerings but I think we could assume either a Maxwell dGPU in the high end 15 inch with the broadwell update, or Apple may well consider the broadwell iGPU good enough and do away with dGPU in all it's notebook line up.

Yeah, but we are talking about PRO gamma, and despite being laptops, they are supposed to be PRO in all matters, so "good enough" shouldn't be enough for a MBP 15" high end (not even the basic 15"). What I mean is that Maxwell made a huge improvement in performance and consumption, so now there shouldn't be excuses about battery life and all that stuff, appart from gaining about 300$ more of clean benefits by dropping dGPUs and mantaining the same price.
I really don't understand how can Apple create beasts like the Mac Pro or iMac Retina, and then nerf other products like the Mac Mini or Macbook Pro's (if they finally drop dGPU's).
And no, there's no comparision between a GTX970/80m and any iGPU that Broadwell can carry to us, despite improving 50 or 60% the performance of the actual Iris Pro.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If your playing contemporary games steer as far clear of MacBooks as you can...lol...doesn't matter what year you buy it they will always be behind the curve as far as gaming is concerned.

I can play all the games I am interested in on my 2012 rMBP. But yes, both the 650m and the 750m are really ged by now. However, the overlocked 650m in the first rMBP was on par with contemporary mid-range gaming laptops when it was first released.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
PRO's or gamers whats your point...

Yeah, but we are talking about PRO gamma, and despite being laptops, they are supposed to be PRO in all matters, so "good enough" shouldn't be enough for a MBP 15" high end (not even the basic 15"). What I mean is that Maxwell made a huge improvement in performance and consumption, so now there shouldn't be excuses about battery life and all that stuff, appart from gaining about 300$ more of clean benefits by dropping dGPUs and mantaining the same price.
I really don't understand how can Apple create beasts like the Mac Pro or iMac Retina, and then nerf other products like the Mac Mini or Macbook Pro's (if they finally drop dGPU's).
And no, there's no comparision between a GTX970/80m and any iGPU that Broadwell can carry to us, despite improving 50 or 60% the performance of the actual Iris Pro.

Yes we are talking PRO use not gaming and the igpu is better or the same in many open cl pro applications than the 750M.

Apple consistently drop the price on their laptops, $100's over the life of the rMBP so far.

I don't think that they will drop the dGPU on the high end and I expect a good NVIDIA on the next machine but there is no reason for a PRO to not use an iGPU laptop these days unless rendering 4K video for a living.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
Looking back, I bet they switch to AMD chips for the next two years. For the high end models anyway, they will still need dGPU's for people who want to power external 4k displays

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.

Definitely wait.

Maxwell: I hope so. It looks absolutely impressive. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8585/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-970m-mobile-maxwell-gm204

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Apple relegate the dGPU to the top tier 15" computer as we can expect better graphics performance from the CPU with Broadwell.

Haven't they already?

I heard there was UX issues with the rMBP, due to the retina part of the display.

Looking back, I bet they switch to AMD chips for the next two years. For the high end models anyway, they will still need dGPU's for people who want to power external 4k displays

I hope not. The new nVidia mobile cards look really good.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Yes we are talking PRO use not gaming and the igpu is better or the same in many open cl pro applications than the 750M.

Apple consistently drop the price on their laptops, $100's over the life of the rMBP so far.

I don't think that they will drop the dGPU on the high end and I expect a good NVIDIA on the next machine but there is no reason for a PRO to not use an iGPU laptop these days unless rendering 4K video for a living.

I agree, but before dropping 100$ the current Macbook Pro's were like 200$ cheaper if I remember it right, so another price drop would be really welcome.
Anyway, like andeify said, for those who want to work with multiple 4K displays (or even 5K displays, like the new Dell monitor) a dGPU is needed. Never talked about gaming so there the need of the dGPU. If anyone wanna casual game, even the Iris Pro is quite cappable of running actual games at mid-high, but for that purpose you can get a decent gaming PC for 700-800$ so it's not worth paying 600$ more (in Europe more than 600€) for a dGPU in the MBP just for gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.