Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Just wanted to share, for those who plan to sell their iphone 5s....i put it up last night for 429 buy it now. The phone was in great condition and came with a Spigen Saturn case and unused screen protectors (and one installed screen protector) as well as the charging cable, box and unused ear plugs. There was a very minimal scuff on the bottom. It sold overnight and I received payment earlier this morning. I just wanted to share for those who were interested in knowing the going rate is.....being that it sold so quickly, I'm thinking I may have been able to get a bit more for the phone so if you're interested in selling, i would recommend starting at 450.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
$450 is a no go. I ran the auction on my 64GB unlocked 5s in perfect condition. No bids in two 3 day auctions. Sold it to a MR member for $410.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
$450 is a no go. I ran the auction on my 64GB unlocked 5s in perfect condition. No bids in two 3 day auctions. Sold it to a MR member for $410.

Damn really? I figured since my phone sold so quick that they jumped on a good deal.....i've seen them ranging a lot online....or maybe people just saw the extras and went for it? Well, hopefully this thread helps some people out.....especially anyone thinking of trading in a 5s.

Nikomanz

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Washington, D.C.
I sold my 5c on eBay when I bought my 6.

I sold it for $320 so a bit less than your better 5s. I bought the unlocked phone at ebay for $420 like 8 months ago.

I love eBay it lets me just pay $100 bucks for a phone that I'll use for 8 months ($12.50 a month + service plan in a network of my choice) and then sell it and use that money for a massive downpayment on my new iPhone 6 which I buy unlocked and no-interest financed by Apple. I can resell it in two years, or one if the 6s is mind-blowing, and keep upgrading paying minimal monthly fees and I don't need to worry about pesky contract limitations!

I'm always a tad surprised people use Gazelle and other services when eBay will clearly give them a better price. (I had a buddy who sold his pristine 5s for $240 I think?) Anyways, not out problem cause we do use eBay :D

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Many factors.

My cousin sold her 16gb iphone 5 on eBay last week at auction.

Just depends on idiots out there willing to pay.

New in the box will always command a higher premium. I am always weary looking for ads on used phones where people claim excellent or mint condition. Those phones better be a good discount when I am bidding.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Sold my AT&T iPhone 5s 32gb gold unlocked 1 week ago for $485. Phone was in mint conditions. Threw in an extra incipio case and 2 extra screen protectors. eBay on a 10 day auction. Towards the last day it got over 42 bids. Buyer received. Happy. Positive feedback :)

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I have two 64GB AT&T iPhone 5s in mint condition with AppleCare+ and can't get one bite. I've dropped the starting to 299 and buy it now to 449. The bottom is falling out of the market this year. I think it's the eBay $100 guarantee to sell the phone. eBay has such a low opening bid starting point to get the $100 coupon.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I have two 64GB AT&T iPhone 5s in mint condition with AppleCare+ and can't get one bite. I've dropped the starting to 299 and buy it now to 449. The bottom is falling out of the market this year. I think it's the eBay $100 guarantee to sell the phone. eBay has such a low opening bid starting point to get the $100 coupon.

Ignore eBay's pointless $100 guarantee to sell. Start your listing at $00.99 and specify a reserve price about $50 below the average sold price at this time. You'll get a lot more bidding war.

Better yet, sell later when the market is less saturated but don't wait too long as it'll peak before dropping again.

daniphils

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2013
I sold my iPhone 5s 32gb in perfect condition on Amazon for 569€.
But of course the prices are higher over here.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I got $435 for my 5S 64GB Space Gray for Verizon. It was in flawless condition, not a blemish anywhere on it. I was expecting to get at least $500. I might have been better off waiting until there weren't a bizillion iPhones for sale.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've noticed something sad... Larger capacities don't count for much when selling/buying second hand.

I see the 64GB versions of the phones going for only a few dollars more than the 16GB versions.

As a result, those of us who need higher capacities tend to get screwed when reselling on the second market (and we tend to get rewarded if we BUY second hand!)

Maybe it will improve with the iPhone 6, but I doubt it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I've noticed something sad... Larger capacities don't count for much when selling/buying second hand.

I see the 64GB versions of the phones going for only a few dollars more than the 16GB versions.

As a result, those of us who need higher capacities tend to get screwed when reselling on the second market (and we tend to get rewarded if we BUY second hand!)

Maybe it will improve with the iPhone 6, but I doubt it.

It's always been that way. You'll never recoup as much with the largest capacity as the lowest capacity. This is also true when re-selling a vehicle decked out with all the available options. The 16 GB has the best resale value but isn't always practical for most of us so just get the capacity you personally need.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i wonder how much my iphone 5 64gb is worth on ebay. i'm even scared to look it up. i'm thinking of selling my iphone 5, to fund buying the iphone 6.

stix666

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2005
I sold mine (64gb) for £370 ($600) within minutes of sticking it on ebay uk. Even disclosed an unphotographicable scratch in the top bezel.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Just wanted to share, for those who plan to sell their iphone 5s....i put it up last night for 429 buy it now. The phone was in great condition and came with a Spigen Saturn case and unused screen protectors (and one installed screen protector) as well as the charging cable, box and unused ear plugs. There was a very minimal scuff on the bottom. It sold overnight and I received payment earlier this morning. I just wanted to share for those who were interested in knowing the going rate is.....being that it sold so quickly, I'm thinking I may have been able to get a bit more for the phone so if you're interested in selling, i would recommend starting at 450.

Did you run into any issues with the seller claiming that the device is not as soecified on your add or reporting something wrong with it ?
So many ppl here have had issues with selling on EBay it seems like.
I'm just curious to hear your take on this particular transaction.

Thanks

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Did you run into any issues with the seller claiming that the device is not as soecified on your add or reporting something wrong with it ?
So many ppl here have had issues with selling on EBay it seems like.
I'm just curious to hear your take on this particular transaction.

Thanks

I have sold every phone since the 3g and have never had that issue. I do this every year that I upgrade. In this example, because of the scuffs, I made sure to post a picture of them so that the buyer is aware.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I'm thinking of selling my AT&T Unlocked 16GB Space Grey iPhone 5S to a colleague for $350. I'm sure I might be able to get a little more via Craigslist but the phone has a couple deep scuffs on the edges. You think the price is decent?

Comes with box and all accessories (earpods are unused).

themyst

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
$429 after eBay / PayPal fees isn't really much of deal... unless eBay is running some fee waiver that I'm not aware of?

17MBPC2D

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2006
For Sale to MR member

I do have a prestine AT&T/GSM Unlocked iPhone 5 with 64GB in White if anyone is interested

lastest iOS 7.1.2 and Jailbroken

100% mint condition (no scratches, dings, etc)....cased since day 1 with Bodyguardz Pure glass protector

Last edited:

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
$429 after eBay / PayPal fees isn't really much of deal... unless eBay is running some fee waiver that I'm not aware of?

Agreed. I wasn't saying that I got a deal though...I was just trying to give some insight into what price it's going for. I typically always get hit with the additional fees...comes with the territory of selling on ebay nowadays. .

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Right after posting here on MR someone purchased the space gray from me for $449.00. I was expecting $500 for 64GB mint condition with AppleCare+. The silver is still up for auction. A couple watchers. At this point, I'm not sure if going $.99 route is better or just wait out and hope for another buy it now. $300 something for a 64GB 5s is not worth the hassle. I'd rather take it to Apple for a gift card.

I've had issues selling on eBay with Xbox 360s and Synology NAS devices. On all occasions the buyer said the item wasn't as described. I offered a full refund upon receiving the item in the same physical condition and retail packaging intact. Each time I was countered or threatened with reduce the price and they'll be okay. I said, I will refund their shipping cost to me as well, but return is the only option. Buyers went away with no compliant. IMHO, that is a sign of attempted shake down.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
I've had no luck selling my 5S 16GB Verizon in mint condition with even a glass protector...I've even dropped the price to $380 and no bites. I may as well keep it as this point...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.