Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I just assumed i would be notified of available updates, like my iPad. Just realized my phone has auto updates turned on as default, so it's been updating while on cell data. Go to settings/itunes & appstore to turn it off, and update your stuff when on Wifi.

I just came from an Android phone to iPhone, so I'm just learning a lot of stuff. You experienced people probably already know this. So, this is for newbs like me.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I wish there was an option to Auto Update on Wifi Only.

Yes, I know I can change the App Store to WiFi only but I would like to be able to 'surf" the app store and possibly download apps on Cellular but no need to Update all apps, since some are overblown in MBs.

I have a shared 2GB plan.

fxbeta

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Settings --> iTunes & App Store, under "AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADS", you can have the App Store updates set to "on". Now look just below that, and there's a "Use Cellular Data" switch. The description says "Use cellular network for automatic downloads, iTunes Match, and iTunes Radio". So if you have Updates set to On, and Use Cellular Data set to Off, the updates will only happen when you are on WiFi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.