Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAlvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Does anyone know which version of the z3c would work under AT&T 4g lte coverage. I've done some research and there are two versions of the phone the D5803 and D5833. They seem to have a difference of $100 on eBay. Not sure which to order I live in Los angeles county.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Does anyone know which version of the z3c would work under AT&T 4g lte coverage. I've done some research and there are two versions of the phone the D5803 and D5833. They seem to have a difference of $100 on eBay. Not sure which to order I live in Los angeles county.

The 03 seems to be for EU/Americas and the 33 seems to be for Asia. I was going to import one from Clove in the UK which works on all ATT LTE bands out of the box.

JAlvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
So. It seems I ordered the Asian version ....I did speak to an att tech they said it would still work as it covers some of the bands all they might do is tweak some settings a bit. Hope that's true.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
So. It seems I ordered the Asian version ....I did speak to an att tech they said it would still work as it covers some of the bands all they might do is tweak some settings a bit. Hope that's true.

You want the D5803 as it supports all LTE bands AT&T uses. I had the Z1 Compact. Loved everything about it except no 700mhz LTE support on AT&T. The Z3C solves that problem. I can't wait to get my hands on one, but will wait until it's closer to $400.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 11.29.20 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 11.29.20 AM.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 146

JAlvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I can't wait. Just ordered from clove. Will compare to my iPhone 6 and make a decision.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I can't wait. Just ordered from clove. Will compare to my iPhone 6 and make a decision.
Please give us a battery life comparison as well. Z3 Compact topped in GSMArena and PhoneArena while iPhone 6 was getting average scores (6+ hrs SOT/55 endurance rating). If some in the iPhone forum is claiming the 6 has great battery life, I wonder how much better the Z3C will be? I think the iPhone 6's standby and 3G talk time (screen is off) is quite weak. It can be great with consistent use after you take it off the charge. I'm also curious of Z3C's STAMINA and ULTRA STAMINA modes. Without those two modes, the battery life seems to be great enough.

JAlvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
The iPhone 6 battery is better than the 5s but a good margin but not leaps and bounds. After using it over a week I would say you get an average of 1-4 hours vs the 5s depending on how you use it. I'm sure the z3c will be better when I compare at the cost of waiting longer for it to charge.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Z3C will be available in America. It's listed as 'coming soon' on Sony's USA site. Only question now is if it will be offered by American carriers or need to be purchased unlocked.

There is a October 9th event in NYC. Z3 announcement is all but a given. Z3C remains to be seen. If you are an American wanting the Z3C I suggest waiting until the 9th at this point.

JAlvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Yea buying it unlocked was my only option as I already got the ip6 on contract.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The iPhone 6 battery is better than the 5s but a good margin but not leaps and bounds. After using it over a week I would say you get an average of 1-4 hours vs the 5s depending on how you use it. I'm sure the z3c will be better when I compare at the cost of waiting longer for it to charge.
Thx. Give us a comparison on speaker when the Z3C if you can. I wasn't very happy with the Z1C speaker. I know it is water-proof which blocks the passage, but it sounded way too tinny. The bigger Z1 was not much better either. The dual front speakers should help but I don't expect it to be that much better than Z2.

As for battery life, the Z3 series have over a month's worth of standby mode (38 days/920 hrs on 3G standby). Generally 2-3x longer SCREEN OFF TIME while radios are on than most current smartphones while they're on airplane mode. While SCREEN ON TIME is claimed to be fantastic ranging from an insane 14-15 hr (claimed by GSMArena) for Wi-Fi browsing and video playback.

Snapdragon 800+ series can power down each core to sleep or 300 MHz while on idle. I don't think the A8 chip can do this although it is it built on the 20nm than 28nm find on Qualcomm's. Most cores stay at a higher frequency even while the screen sleeps and no apps are running. Also efficiency from KitKat, near 500 mAh bigger battery than iP6's, Sony's own custom battery optimizations, and the power efficient displays they use should all play a role on why the Z3C topples most 2014 smartphones' battery life out there including the bigger Z3 and iP6/6+.

First time ever for me when Sony got closer to making the perfect smartphones and they didn't really disappoint in any areas like they usually do! Of course Sony will probably go directly to Snapdragon 810 next year with the Z4/Z4C release and tick off would be buyers of Z3/Z3C after six months.

Sony - just annual flagship releases please?

JAlvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
A
Thx. Give us a comparison on speaker when the Z3C if you can. I wasn't very happy with the Z1C speaker. I know it is water-proof which blocks the passage, but it sounded way too tinny. The bigger Z1 was not much better either. The dual front speakers should help but I don't expect it to be that much better than Z2.

As for battery life, the Z3 series have over a month's worth of standby mode (38 days/920 hrs on 3G standby). Generally 2-3x longer SCREEN OFF TIME while radios are on than most current smartphones while they're on airplane mode. While SCREEN ON TIME is claimed to be fantastic ranging from an insane 14-15 hr (claimed by GSMArena) for Wi-Fi browsing and video playback.

Snapdragon 800+ series can power down each core to sleep or 300 MHz while on idle. I don't think the A8 chip can do this although it is it built on the 20nm than 28nm find on Qualcomm's. Most cores stay at a higher frequency even while the screen sleeps and no apps are running. Also efficiency from KitKat, near 500 mAh bigger battery than iP6's, Sony's own custom battery optimizations, and the power efficient displays they use should all play a role on why the Z3C topples most 2014 smartphones' battery life out there including the bigger Z3 and iP6/6+.

First time ever for me when Sony got closer to making the perfect smartphones and they didn't really disappoint in any areas like they usually do! Of course Sony will probably go directly to Snapdragon 810 next year with the Z4/Z4C release and tick off would be buyers of Z3/Z3C after six months.

Sony - just annual flagship releases please?

Speaker volume is important to me as well, when I'm at home I workout listening to the speakers of the device. The ip6 is better than the 5s, louder. After watching some reviews the z3 is still better than the z3c and the m8 sounds similar to the z3, the z3 also sounds better than the iPhone 6. I figure the z3c will be similar to the ip6 but the difference being the stereo surround. I can live with that if that's the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.