Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndroidBlows

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
For many years I scoffed at iPhones and stood my Blackberries though all of the battery pulls, java errors, crashing and instabilities. In 2012 I finally made the jump and bought an iPhone 4S. My world was changed and I kicked myself for not going to iPhone sooner. I came to appreciate Apple after shunning them since 1980.

All of this has changed dramatically. In the last week since buying the 6 for an absurd price of $925, I am starting to lose confidence in Apple and the platform. iTunes has corrupted my music twice (see epic gray corrupt songs thread on Apple Support Forum), iOS 7 was a step back, and now the iOs 8.01 debacle, the frequent crashes, wifi issues, and the instability and overall experience lately has left me thinking maybe I should try an Android just for the heck of it. I'm so sick of iTunes I can't take it anymore. Its pathetic. Its clunky. Its not friendly. I just want my music. I don't want Spotify. I want my Music. My MP3s that I bought over the last 15 years legally.

I feel like this new 6 in front of me is becoming my Blackberry 8900. I was so happy the past few years with Apple. What has happened?

My iPhone has not gotten better since 2012, its getting worse. I see no progression forward. I see only steps backward with nothing saying its going to change. Yes its just a God Damn phone, I know. But I want something that just works.

What did I get for my $925 Verizon? I'm just, confused. Not sure if Cook and his guys are losing focus or what. I know they will be OK and will not die (again) but some kind of Karma is killing Apple right now.

135952.jpg

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I still think the majority of users aren't experiencing issues... I could be wrong about that, BUT when you spend lots of time on this forum it seems like things are way worse than they are. However, if you are considering Android I would recommend the Note 4 or wait for the Galaxy S6. (Or Nexus 6/X)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
For many years I scoffed at iPhones and stood my Blackberries though all of the battery pulls, java errors, crashing and instabilities. In 2012 I finally made the jump and bought an iPhone 4S. My world was changed and I kicked myself for not going to iPhone sooner. I came to appreciate Apple after shunning them since 1980.

All of this has changed dramatically. In the last week since buying the 6 for an absurd price of $925, I am starting to lose confidence in Apple and the platform. iTunes has corrupted my music twice (see epic gray corrupt songs thread on Apple Support Forum), iOS 7 was a step back, and now the iOs 8.01 debacle, the frequent crashes, wifi issues, and the instability and overall experience lately has left me thinking maybe I should try an Android just for the heck of it. I'm so sick of iTunes I can't take it anymore. Its pathetic. Its clunky. Its not friendly. I just want my music. I don't want Spotify. I want my Music. My MP3s that I bought over the last 15 years legally.

I feel like this new 6 in front of me is becoming my Blackberry 8900. I was so happy the past few years with Apple. What has happened?

My iPhone has not gotten better since 2012, its getting worse. I see no progression forward. I see only steps backward with nothing saying its going to change. Yes its just a God Damn phone, I know. But I want something that just works.

What did I get for my $925 Verizon? I'm just, confused. Not sure if Cook and his guys are losing focus or what. I know they will be OK and will not die (again) but some kind of Karma is killing Apple right now.

The drama on this forum is beyond ridiculous. I work with literally hundreds of iPhone owners for a major company at corporate headquarters. Literally none of them are talking about or know about the 8.0.1 debacle, as a very small percentage of users were even affected.

Most have or are upgrading to one of the new iPhones, even those that currently have a 5s. Those that have love them, those that haven't can't wait to get them.

The most vocal group of owners are those that face issues, not those that are satisfied. If some random person came onto this forum, they would think that the iPhone has tons of issues and that Apple is doomed, when, in reality, most users are satisfied and do just fine with battery life, software, etc.

I have quite a few co-workers with Android devices. 2 just made the switch to iPhone. Some are completely satisfied with Android, while others have borrowed my iPhone 6 and marveled at the quality of the hardware and the software, and are now considering a change. Even the executive leadership of the company are switching now from Blackberry to iPhone.

People need to get a grip on reality.

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
2nd question? It took you until the 4S to realize that blackberry sucked?[/QUOTE]

This is the only thing that I got out of his post.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The drama on this forum is beyond ridiculous. I work with literally hundreds of iPhone owners for a major company at corporate headquarters. Literally none of them are talking about or know about the 8.0.1 debacle, as a very small percentage of users were even affected.

Most have or are upgrading to one of the new iPhones, even those that currently have a 5s. Those that have love them, those that haven't can't wait to get them.

The most vocal group of owners are those that face issues, not those that are satisfied. If some random person came onto this forum, they would think that the iPhone has tons of issues and that Apple is doomed, when, in reality, most users are satisfied and do just fine with battery life, software, etc.

I have quite a few co-workers with Android devices. 2 just made the switch to iPhone. Some are completely satisfied with Android, while others have borrowed my iPhone 6 and marveled at the quality of the hardware and the software, and are now considering a change. Even the executive leadership of the company are switching now from Blackberry to iPhone.

People need to get a grip on reality.

The drama is par for the course for phone introductions.

Blackberry has .5% of the USA market. Let the OP go back as they could use a few customers.

It will all calm down in a few weeks, seen this all too many times before.

AndroidBlows

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Is this real life?

2nd question? It took you until the 4S to realize that blackberry sucked?

I scoffed and I scoffed until I lost patience with Blackberry finally in 2012.

Some people were just very afraid of touchscreens back then. I was a defacto BB whoar since 1999.

AndroidBlows

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
If you even begin to compare Blackberry to Apple, you know nothing about the industry or these companies. Please stop.

Who says comparing "companies" Einstein? I am comparing user experience, satisfaction and stability.

I'm feeling the frustration for Apple that I had for BB which led to my exodus away from BB.

Apple is frustrating me to the point of looking at other options.

Don't talk about industry, talk about user experience.

saratoga172

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
Lol, no. Apple is in a much better place. Maybe if someone comes out and surprises the world with a completely new experience for the phone like apple did with the original iPhone.

If that happened apple would have a struggle. But only time will tell.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I do understand what you are feeling because I kinda feel the same way. I don't think Apple is in a position as bad as Blackberry was/is, but I do feel Apple has lost a bit of its shine! they need to step up their game!! I still love :apple: though.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Happy Iphone users don't complain... We discuss the products. Every new release its the same old trashy of Apple. This is NOTHING NEW. What about all the bend issues? HA everyone's seems to forget people with iPhone 5s complained about the same issue once in awhile . Did it change my usage or if I carried my 5s in my pocket?? Heck no. did it bend? Ah, no. Same old garbage every release . Who cares?? If you've been with IPhone long enough, this is simply par for the course . My 6 plus is awesome. iOS bugs with new releases are always there... Always. If you don't expect bugs.. That's not reality. If you don't wanna deal with it, do not buy any new technology. Stick with Blackberry.. I had for Blackberrys.. Really liked them but if your worried about IPhones stability, how did you put up with huge mess Blackberry was for so long? Be happy, enjoy your 6 or return it, your choice , but own that choice . Also what's up with people complaining about the 6 or 6 plus when they don't even have it yet ?? Answer, some people love to complain. End of rant

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Don't talk about industry, talk about user experience.

BB was irrelevant the day the original iPhone was launched. Knew it was toast beyond toast then - if only I had shorted the stock, I'd be a rich man today.

Apple's in a position of asking themselves, how do you top yourself when you've already hit it out of the park. It would take a whole new revolution and way to interact with the phone, not the evolution that we are seeing now.

To expect Apple to produce a whole new paradigm shift that matches the initially idea of the iPhone experience - maybe some company will figure it out someday. You certainly won't find it in copycat Android/Windows phones.

A neural interface? A phone that can read your mind and react to your thoughts? Maybe someday - but I don't think we've reached that point with tech just yet.

The original iPhone was a brave new concept - not only did it replace a traditional keyboard with touchscreen, it brought about the whole idea of how gestures can be used to interact with the phone. It wasn't just a pressing of virtual keys or pen input, which up to that point, was all people thought touch screens were useful for.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I still think the majority of users aren't experiencing issues... I could be wrong about that, BUT when you spend lots of time on this forum it seems like things are way worse than they are. However, if you are considering Android I would recommend the Note 4 or wait for the Galaxy S6. (Or Nexus 6/X)

How true. If I lived by forums and the complainers alone I would not bought any of my cars, my audio equipment or my camera equipment. It's an Idiots' Paradise. You have to glean the useful stuff, and ignore 90% of it.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Comparing the iphone to a blackberry is a complete joke. You are very confused about all of this.

First of all I could tell you that one close friend have a blackberry bold 9900 about 3 years ago when it was released, He changed that model for a new one 3 times because when he connected the phone to the charger in the night it stop working, there was no solution to that issue and the only thing you can do was to change it for a new one. When that happen you lost all the data on that phone and there was no way to get the info.

After all that issues and thanks to whatsapp he decided to change the blackberry to the iphone and since then he can't be more happy because with the iphone everything works correctly.

About the iphone 6 it is the best phone ever, it is always recommended to wait some days or weeks to install a new version, that is why I don't get any issues with the update.

You say that itunes have corrupted all your music maybe it is time to buy a mac if you are using windows. Also why you don't do backups to restore everything when you have a problem.

----------

Please post the thread url of your corrupted songs in Apple because I try to find it on google but have no luck

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA

I don't think you can relate this to BlackBerry at all. What killed BlackBerry was a lack of strategy to respond to a changing paradigm in the smartphone industry. Fundamentals in how we interacted with our mobile devices such as keyboards, touchscreens, third-party development, and app ecosystems as a whole were what made iOS and Android supremely popular. BlackBerry was simply too late to the game.

What you're talking about are what are relatively small bugs that can easily be fixed, and most importantly do not affect a large number of users. Yes, I feel for you when you say you're having a bad personal experience with your new phone, and yes, it's reasonable for you to expect such problems from an established company like Apple. But iTunes is a great platform both for organizing music and the contents of your iPhone. I don't see how Apple could've let 8.0.1 slip through the cracks, but it only affected around 40,000 users out of around 10 million iPhone 6 owners, and Apple responded very quickly (pulled update in an hour and came out with 8.0.2 the next day).

We've gotten to a point as consumers where we expect everything to work, and right this instant. We have to remember that companies are only run by humans, and their products were made by humans.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Pssshhhh... if you want Just Works Stability, don't ever buy the latest (and not greatest), always wait until they work out the bugs and buy version 2.0 of anything. One school of ideology says.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Look at PC upgrades year over year and ask yourself how much a change is there? Is it worth upgrading? Do you spent 700+ dollars each year on a new PC? The answer is almost always NOOOO. Well the iPhone is a pc... in your hand; so the same truth applies to it. If you want to feel like the money was well spent, you'll have to wait a few years before upgrade.

Personally I buy my phones subsidized and resell them two years for around the same price; in the end I don't pay more than 100 net cost over the 2 years so for me they are always worth it. If i had to pay 700+ full price then I def would rethink my plan to always purchase the latest and greatest model.

tl;dr you got buyers remorse because you overspent.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I scoffed and I scoffed until I lost patience with Blackberry finally in 2012.

Some people were just very afraid of touchscreens back then. I was a defacto BB whoar since 1999.

What lost Blackberry for me is when I bought 5 top of the line Blackberry 9800 units for me and my top people in my company. Within a month all but one died and even ATT could not revive them. We all went to iPhones and we have not even looked back.

borcanm

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
Everytime Apple releases a iOS update to fix things it ends up breaking other things.

----------

But yeah, Apple is becoming the new Blackberry. Apple is top dog now and in the spotlight all the time. All their mistakes get magnified a hundred fold. But I think the most tragic thing that the OP didn't mention is the lack of anything innovative in the iphone 6, lots of improvements but nothing innovative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.