Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianjsw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I'm getting concerned that iOS is going to start feeling like Android, you know where nothing is optimized for the right screen resolution.

All sorts of apps are updating for iOS8, but they look dreadful because none of them bothered to update for the screens of 6 and 6+.

I'm making it a point to down star the non-compliant apps I use to add pressure and I guess if things don't pick up real soon we will have to hope Apple blocks new app and update submissions that are missing iPhone 6 and 6 Plus support.

KuchiKopi

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I'm getting concerned that iOS is going to start feeling like Android, you know where nothing is optimized for the right screen resolution.

All sorts of apps are updating for iOS8, but they look dreadful because none of them bothered to update for the screens of 6 and 6+.

I'm making it a point to down star the non-compliant apps I use to add pressure and I guess if things don't pick up real soon we will have to hope Apple blocks new app and update submissions that are missing iPhone 6 and 6 Plus support.

Your concern is noted. Now, please continue on back to http://www.androidcentral.com where you came from. :rolleyes:

brianjsw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Lol funny. Yah I did come from there! But I'm in the Apple camp now!

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
The phones were released a week ago. Give it some time.

Or, better yet, develop your own apps and give it whatever resolution you'd like.

Then, quit whining.

mailboxbetacoin

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2014

I am a dev. We learn about the phones the same day you guys do, and we don't have preferential access to them; some of us still don't have 6+.

So also, some of us have started optimizing the apps back in June when we got some info about developing for multiple screen sizes, we can only understand how our apps look on these devices since last week.

Depending on how apps have been built, optimizing them for the new screens can take weeks to months, then testing, then apple review process, etc...

Please be patient, and if you want apps to be optimized for the new phones on day 1 nest time, please voice your concerns to Apple so they provide the devs with the new device in advance

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Just takes time. Devs didnt know of new display sizes until just earlier this month.
I give them til the new year.

brianjsw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I seem to remember updates for iPhone 5 happening much faster that's all. Maybe I'm just going senile lol.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Plus the iOS app review queue is very backed up right now, taking a very long time to get app updates approved and in the store. Even some of Apple's own apps aren't updated yet (like the WWDC app). Give it a month, I imagine most current apps will be updated.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I'll repeat what I've said in other threads, because I'm getting tired of people assuming what it's like developing for iOS.

As a developer they are taking a much longer time approving apps than normal. We're talking 3 weeks for some devs. Also, Apple gave devs the shaft this year and gave basically zero heads up on how to deal with the new screen sizes. It literally is a mess that will take months to transition smoothly.

Lastly, You do realize the iPhone 5 transition was relatively easy, right? The screen width was the same, so for things like scrolling lists and table views (think of the news feed in FB), there was nothing or hardly anything to change.

This year is much different; we have to deal with wider and taller screens this time around, plus a new 3x asset for all artwork.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I seem to remember updates for iPhone 5 happening much faster that's all. Maybe I'm just going senile lol.
I seem to remember something similar. Same for the transition to retina iPhone 4 and iPad 3.

----------

As a developer they are taking a much longer time approving apps than normal. We're talking 3 weeks for some devs. Also, Apple gave devs the shaft this year and gave basically zero heads up on how to deal with the new screen sizes. It literally is a mess that will take months to transition smoothly.
I've got to say, that seems pretty stupid on Apple's part. I would have thought they'd want to have as many devs on board and apps updated by the time the device is released. Was it the same for previous releases? I seem to recall getting app updates for retina, etc. within a day or two of receiving my devices.

booksbooks

Suspended
Aug 28, 2013
I'll repeat what I've said in other threads, because I'm getting tired of people assuming what it's like developing for iOS.

Lastly, You do realize the iPhone 5 transition was relatively easy, right? The screen width was the same, so for things like scrolling lists and table views (think of the news feed in FB), there was nothing or hardly anything to change.

This year is much different; we have to deal with wider and taller screens this time around, plus a new 3x asset for all artwork.

This.

We're devs too. This new 5.5" screen size is a pain in the ass. You basically have to rethink your entire App for it. This is a big problem that I started another thread on already: to forget the other problems with the iPhone 6/Plus, outside of the bend thing, and focus on the real issue being lack of Apps and fragmentation.

I hate using Apps on my 6 Plus. And please everyone stop making excuses for Apple. It's disgusting already. They could have done a much deeper dive into iOS 8 to improve App scaling. The scaling sucks. It's horrible. Everything is just blown up and pixelated. Even the text in the Apps!

I do this for a living: responsive App/Web design. And I've been doing it for the past few years. I've learned basically how to design once and look good on all devices, but it was hard to figure it out. This stuff is complex to be sure, but if you work with it solutions are available. What Apple has done is completely unacceptable like they didn't give it any thought at all. Just throw a tweener in the bucket and see what happens.

And if Apple's excuse is backlog, then that's their problem and again, no excuse at all. Failing to plan is planning to fail. This new Cook era of Apple is beginning to be a clownshow. Love the phone guys, but the Apps are all blown up and crap.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Some devs are also making the resolution update for the 6 and 6+ apart of a much larger update/overhaul of their app. The dev of the Drafts app is adding 6/6+ support into Drafts 4, a major update to the app which is coming early next month.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
This.

We're devs too. This new 5.5" screen size is a pain in the ass. You basically have to rethink your entire App for it. This is a big problem that I started another thread on already: to forget the other problems with the iPhone 6/Plus, outside of the bend thing, and focus on the real issue being lack of Apps and fragmentation.

I hate using Apps on my 6 Plus. And please everyone stop making excuses for Apple. It's disgusting already. They could have done a much deeper dive into iOS 8 to improve App scaling. The scaling sucks. It's horrible. Everything is just blown up and pixelated. Even the text in the Apps!

I do this for a living: responsive App/Web design. And I've been doing it for the past few years. I've learned basically how to design once and look good on all devices, but it was hard to figure it out. This stuff is complex to be sure, but if you work with it solutions are available. What Apple has done is completely unacceptable like they didn't give it any thought at all. Just throw a tweener in the bucket and see what happens.

And if Apple's excuse is backlog, then that's their problem and again, no excuse at all. Failing to plan is planning to fail. This new Cook era of Apple is beginning to be a clownshow. Love the phone guys, but the Apps are all blown up and crap.

The underlined text contradicts the bolded text quite a bit.

If Apple's revenue was tanking, I think it'd a clownshow. I'm quite certain Apple is more profitable now (under Cook) than ever.

booksbooks

Suspended
Aug 28, 2013
The underlined text contradicts the bolded text quite a bit.

If Apple's revenue was tanking, I think it'd a clownshow. I'm quite certain Apple is more profitable now (under Cook) than ever.

How does it contradict anything? My failing to plan is planning to fail is in regards to Apple's "supposed" backlog of Apps waiting for approval. That they should have planned for more Apps nailing their QA department if it's indeed a problem and holding up new updates from hitting the App Store. It was not in reference to developers themselves.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Some apps took over a year before they were optimised for the i5. The majority were sorted within 6 months.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
This.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but perhaps Apple purposefully made scaled apps look less than great because they want to force devs to code specifically for the new sizes? If it looked good enough with a few tweaks versus great with a more dedicated update, perhaps Apple wanted to push devs to make sure their apps looked great, not good enough?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I'm just thinking out loud here, but perhaps Apple purposefully made scaled apps look less than great because they want to force devs to code specifically for the new sizes? If it looked good enough with a few tweaks versus great with a more dedicated update, perhaps Apple wanted to push devs to make sure their apps looked great, not good enough?

Hmm... Not following your logic here. Why does Apple care how you make your app look good as long as it looks good? And I'm sure they want the developers doing less work not more.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
My logic was that perhaps Apple wanted to force devs into fully optimizing their apps for the new screens instead of just doing incremental tweaks that look good, but not as good as a fully optimized app would. But I'm not a dev so I could be way off the mark here.

brianjsw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Although we appear to getting some relief from smaller developers, companies like Yahoo and Google are still asleep at the wheel, indeed in some cases choosing to update only for the 6+ but in most cases releasing multiple updates for "bug fixes" yet leaving this problem unresolved. Tapatalk is dragging their feet too. Keep giving out one star reviews and keep the heat on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.