Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I contacted ATT to get my phones unlocked and followed the instructions. However I never received the "congratulations your phone has been unlocked" on iTunes. Im so confused about how to do this. Please help!!!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Most times you don't get the message but phone is unlocked.
Don't keep thinking your phone is still locked because you didn't get that screen. Try a T-Mobile sim or any other non AT&T sim and you will know for sure.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
With one iphone I never have to restore it to unlock it.

I only place the sim and it was unlocked.

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
I just unlocked an iP5 yesterday and had to do the restore to get it to unlock. Got the congratulations message.

My email from AT&T said to wait at least 24 hours to do the unlock, which I did. Did you wait or just try it after receiving the email?

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I just unlocked an iP5 yesterday and had to do the restore to get it to unlock. Got the congratulations message.

My email from AT&T said to wait at least 24 hours to do the unlock, which I did. Did you wait or just try it after receiving the email?

I waited the 24 hours. I was able to contact ATT and had them check the IMEI number and they told me that it did intact state the phone was unlocked.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Just did my iPhone 4 and I did get the message. However I never got it with the iPhone 5, that I tried to unlock.

damie45

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I also never got the message through iTunes, but I was able use a Jamaican sim when I was there.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
I had the same issue when I tried to unlock two of my iphone 5 last week.

the trick to get the unlock message from itune is that you need to reset "erase all content and settings" before you restore it.

if you forgot to reset, you can still reset it after restoring it. then plug it back in and itune willl show you the message.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I had the same issue when I tried to unlock two of my iphone 5 last week.

the trick to get the unlock message from itune is that you need to reset "erase all content and settings" before you restore it.

if you forgot to reset, you can still reset it after restoring it. then plug it back in and itune willl show you the message.

I don't think that's necessarily true. A restore is supposed to wipe everything no matter what. I never bothered erasing all contents and settings, and it always gave me the unlock message.

In fact, the restore isn't even key. Activation is supposed to be what triggers the message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.