Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dg8r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Last night my wife decided her 13" MBP was thirsty so she dumped a diet coke into it. She went through the procedure of pulling the power cord, turning it off, taking the bottom off, and making a teepee out of it to help it dry.

She didn't backup her hard drive and has some very important files she wants to get to. If after about 3 days of drying her machine will not start how can I hook up her hard drive to my MBP externally and download to my machine the files she wants? Is there a case with all the wiring needed to hook up her drive inside and external wiring to go to my external connectors? Any recommendations on brands etc?

I searched the site for this info but came up short.

Thanks for any help you can give.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I'd be inclined to skip the enclosure and buy a big box of cables* which will meet all your present and historic HD needs. Or possibly a smaller, cheaper box of cables with only bus-powered 2.5" support if you simply want to address this one issue.

* Please note I'm not endorsing that particular big box of cables. I will however state that I once had a much more expensive NewerTech version (price dictated by USB3 connectivity and 'name') which went bad on me, and the warranty terms were such that it would have been cheaper to buy a new one than return the faulty unit.

Dg8r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Thank you

Thank you both for your input. I will have to make a decision on Monday. My wife is letting her machine dry our over the weekend and praying hard that it will work.

While I have my doubts I too am praying hard because we cannot afford another computer at this time which means she will be sharing mine.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
The enclosure route is the best solution. Downloading files from the computer with a firewire or thunderbolt cable would require that the computer be able to start anyway.

Dg8r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Thank you for your response. It is good to have people willing to help. I will go the enclosure route if the thirsty computer decides it is dead today when my wife tries to boot it.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Best single 2.5" drive enclosure I found is the Inateck FEU3NS-1E which is less that $20 on amazon. It does UASP so you get max transport speed over USB3.

Dg8r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks. That looks like the best one I have seen so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.