Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
Hi folks,

my Iphone6+ arrived yesterday and i checked everyting for defects and i found out that i have probably three defective pixels in my camera sensor and probably other ppl have this issue as well but dont even know it.
To realize the defective pixels you have to go in a complete dark room and let just a tiny amount of light in then switch to the 120fps mode, you will realize blinking white/grey pixels or just white/grey pixels shining permanently somewhere your screen which indicated failed pixels in my mind. Those are not defects on your IPS LCD screen but the sensor of your camera

The reason why it must be on the sensor is clear, you can see those pixels on the recorded video later! So the main iphone display is ok but not so the sensor of the camera. Maybe this can be a software bug but i guess not. In all other cameramodes those pixels cant be seen. My brightest pixel is directly near the red record button icon. Maybe you have those defective pixels as well.

The strange thing is those pixel will work in the other modes so i guess the 120/240FPS mode is hard for the sensor and shows its weakness spots?

Last edited:

pixelements

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Germany
Yeap same here. Dont even need to go to a dark room. I can clearly see it while recordings. That just sucks, thats why I'm waiting for my exchange which is arriving on monday. I've checked 2 iPhone 6 of my friends, they were good, no dead pixels in 240fps mode.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
Yeap same here. Dont even need to go to a dark room. I can clearly see it while recordings. That just sucks, thats why I'm waiting for my exchange which is arriving on monday. I've checked 2 iPhone 6 of my friends, they were good, no dead pixels in 240fps mode.

oh no, i applied the screen protector perfectly this time, its a shame. Now i have to reset everything and so on, damn it. i also think my screen is pretty "cloudy" and not "evenly" colored at all, the apple IP6+ screens are clearly not really good. what i have to do, call apple or my network provider t-mobile?

Jizzles

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Wow I just tried this and I have a bunch of pixels :mad: I guess I'm heading to the Apple store tomorrow.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
Wow I just tried this and I have a bunch of pixels :mad: I guess I'm heading to the Apple store tomorrow.

In the beginning i thought that could be normal or a software bug because it only happend in the slow mo modes but then i heard that there are IP6 without those white pixels which is a bummer for me. Now im forced to replace that device, my screen protector can be thrown away after removing it and i have to drive in an apple store which is 50km away. The thing is here, i would be ok with it but with this i cant sell the phone in the future without a sore conscience.

Just to check if its not a software bug, is your pixel next to the red record button as well?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

In the beginning i thought that could be normal or a software bug because it only happend in the slow mo modes but then i heard that there are IP6 without those white pixels which is a bummer for me. Now im forced to replace that device, my screen protector can be thrown away after removing it and i have to drive in an apple store which is 50km away. The thing is here, i would be ok with it but with this i cant sell the phone in the future without a sore conscience.

Just to check if its not a software bug, is your pixel next to the red record button as well?

My iPhone 6 Plus and my wife's iPhone 6 both have a BUNCH of flashing pixels in slow-mo video mode. Both in very different places. I'm going to guess all devices have this, as the sensor is running much harder... It's really easy to see if you:

1.) Turn your brightness up to max
2.) Switch to slow-mo
3.) Cover the rear camera with your hand

Not so bothered, really, as you're unlikely to see them during day-time slow-mo (the only time you can use slow-mo on these devices!).

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
My iPhone 6 Plus and my wife's iPhone 6 both have a BUNCH of flashing pixels in slow-mo video mode. Both in very different places. I'm going to guess all devices have this, as the sensor is running much harder... It's really easy to see if you:

1.) Turn your brightness up to max
2.) Switch to slow-mo
3.) Cover the rear camera with your hand

Not so bothered, really, as you're unlikely to see them during day-time slow-mo (the only time you can use slow-mo on these devices!).

yes that is true and i thought the same but then there must be IP6 with 100% working sensors. You are right it is unrealistic to use the slowmo mode in a darker room but its still annoying when you want to sell the device in the future. I also dont need a complete dark room, its mostly visible in a dark room with a bit of light.

So, since i still used the IP4 i have no experience with later iphone models but the Iphone 5S has also 120fps mode, if those worked perfect without blinking pixels then something must be wrong with the IP6 sensor.

my screen is relatively bright cause when i use the auto brightness i get "clouds" on the screen when the display is dimm. Clouds mean the color of the background is very uneven, you get dark and bright spots etc.. You can get rid of that by turning the display brighter

Edit: I just checked it on daylight and you will still see those spots when that area with a dead pixel reach a dark area in your video scene. So its not unrealistic i realized now, you will see it later in the video even on a sunny day. This is disappointing

Last edited:

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
This is a very common issue in video recording, think you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't exhibit this problem to some extent

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
This is a very common issue in video recording, think you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't exhibit this problem to some extent

So why my other Full HD cameras dont have this problem? or is it only in 120/240FPS ? Why the Iphone5 with 120FPS dont have this problem?

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
So why my other Full HD cameras dont have this problem? or is it only in 120/240FPS ? Why the Iphone5 with 120FPS dont have this problem?
Not sure to be honest, just know that I've seen it most of the phones I've owned. Not sure if it's a dead pixel issue or software related?

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
From a quick google search of the symptoms, it sounds like you're seeing "hot pixels".

If that is what you're seeing, then it's apparently completely normal to see these at higher ISO settings, even on an expensive DSLR. From what I read the other day, the iPhone does switch to a much higher ISO to record in slo-mo.

So, before you start ripping off screen protectors and returning your devices, it may be worth googling "hot pixels", just to see if that's what you're experiencing.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Now that it's been mentioned my iPhone 6 also has this.

Highest brightness and in slow mo whilst covering the camera I can see 3 pixels that are flashing.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
From a quick google search of the symptoms, it sounds like you're seeing "hot pixels".

If that is what you're seeing, then it's apparently completely normal to see these at higher ISO settings, even on an expensive DSLR. From what I read the other day, the iPhone does switch to a much higher ISO to record in slo-mo.

So, before you start ripping off screen protectors and returning your devices, it may be worth googling "hot pixels", just to see if that's what you're experiencing.

I dont know if those are hot pixels, on all other modes like video, photo etc.. the camera has no visible pixels and i made a picture in a nearly complete dark room without LED flash etc.. to force the camera in high iso but no visible pixels. This only happens in slow-mo mode.

Wikipedia says "hot pixel" on a camera sensor are detected during the production process and those pixels will be marked permanently in the camera Firmware. Obviously this was not done here correctly. I never owned a camera that showed those hot pixels. I guess this is a quality issue like bad quality control.

Can somebody do this with an Iphone 5S?

Last edited:

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I just tested in a dark room in 120 mode. Completely black screen while both recording, and not recording.

Sorry. No PixelGate here.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
I just tested in a dark room in 120 mode. Completely black screen while both recording, and not recording.

It is hard to see and sometimes those pixels dont occur. You need 120fps and a bit of light, not complete darkness. When i hold my hand before the lens i cant see any pixels, it seems it need a tiny bit of light. You dont need to record it, just look at the screen and tilt it around.

Jazminh

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014

Mines the same, 6 plus and have tried all the instructions on each post that gave some to try and see if I have the problem but nothing.
Totally black.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Even if one does find these pixels, why would it be a QC scandal or issue? It seems you have to really force the situation (to one where most people would not be using 240fps slow mo) in order to have it manifest.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I'm not sure I'd rule the hot pixel theory out.

It says that hot pixels show when the sensors works hard and gets hot, such as at higher ISO's, or fast shutter speeds. I'm sure the sensor will be working its hardest when it's shooting in slo-mo.

As for catching this during the manufacturing process......I'm only guessing here, but I would've thought they meant during the manufacturing of high end DSLR sensors...not phone camera sensors.

The evidence does seem to point to hit pixels. If not, then by your results, we can only conclude that it's a software issue, otherwise, why would it be fine in all other modes but slo-mo............all modes use the same sensor.

I'm not saying I'm right here, as all I've done is research the symptoms. All I'm saying is, maybe we shouldn't all panic and start swapping out devices, when it could be something which is completely normal.

I dont know if those are hot pixels, on all other modes like video, photo etc.. the camera has no visible pixels and i made a picture in a nearly complete dark room without LED flash etc.. to force the camera in high iso but no visible pixels. This only happens in slow-mo mode.

Wikipedia says "hot pixel" on a camera sensor are detected during the production process and those pixels will be marked permanently in the camera Firmware. Obviously this was not done here correctly. I never owned a camera that showed those hot pixels. I guess this is a quality issue like bad quality control.

Can somebody do this with an Iphone 5S?

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
If apple is going to swap them out I'm gonna just wait until next year when yields are good.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It is not uncommon for a few pixels to misbehave when the gain is maxed out in a dark room.

Yep, I've yet to see a (non-professional) camera that doesn't exhibit this in some form.

Heck, even my D7000 has the problem when recording video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.