Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Definitely some of their best stuff. I'm guessing that's all the Note ads that will air on TV played in one string.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Pretty good indeed. See, not every commercial needs to be a shot at the competition and I'd argue this will be far more memorable.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I'm not a Samsung guy but that was a very good commercial. They should stick to this focusing on their own product versus worrying about the competition.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
I wonder... Does anyone here use (or used) the Note line and the Surface line?

If so, what is the best for handwriting/college? The Surface and Onenote, Or the Galaxy Note and the S-pen? Honest question.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I wonder... Does anyone here use (or used) the Note line and the Surface line?

If so, what is the best for handwriting/college? The Surface and Onenote, Or the Galaxy Note and the S-pen? Honest question.

I use a surface pro 3 and a note 3. They both have pros and cons, personally I like the Wacom in the Note series just a bit better than the N trig in the surface pro 3. I'm bummed Microsoft didn't keep Wacom as it was convenient to use my Note pen with all my devices, but oh well.

If you are asking Note tablet versus surface pro that's an entire other discussion but personally I don't think the Note tablets come anywhere close to the functionality of a surface pro tablet.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
I use a surface pro 3 and a note 3. They both have pros and cons, personally I like the Wacom in the Note series just a bit better than the N trig in the surface pro 3. I'm bummed Microsoft didn't keep Wacom as it was convenient to use my Note pen with all my devices, but oh well.

If you are asking Note tablet versus surface pro that's an entire other discussion but personally I don't think the Note tablets come anywhere close to the functionality of a surface pro tablet.

But can you actually go to a typical engineering class and use any of those devices an writing like you would do with pen and paper?

I ask this because every time I try a note in Store the small lag between the input and the actual action drives me nuts.

I never tried and iPad and a pen before but I believe that since it doesn't have a wacom it is close to useless.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
But can you actually go to a typical engineering class and use any of those devices an writing like you would do with pen and paper?

I ask this because every time I try a note in Store the small lag between the input and the actual action drives me nuts.

I never tried and iPad and a pen before but I believe that since it doesn't have a wacom it is close to useless.

if the note is plugged, thete might be some lag - atleast i may have it when charging it (note 10.1) and it is even said in a manual.

"trying it in a store" vs "irl use" may differ alot. at first you should unplug it, close millions apps opening on background, and check the performance option: battery saving - balanced - performance, other options like screen saving mode (another battery saving option decreasing screen reftesh rate) etc... that is the reason i prefer check reviews and only want to know how the device feels on your hand in a store... testing the device in a store may give false info because it probably runs some sort of a store profile...

and yes, i have graduated (m.sc.) myself and i can use Note irl. iPad Air was terrible, lost bt connection from time to time, unaccurate etc. Didnt like it at all with a pen. i eas considering sp3, but i7 models has this heat issue... waiting more info about a possible fix or a broadwell architecture...

Last edited:

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
if the note is plugged, thete might be some lag - atleast i may have it when charging it (note 10.1) and it is even said in a manual.

"trying it in a store" vs "irl use" may differ alot. at first you should unplug it, close millions apps opening on background, and check the performance option: battery saving - balanced - performance, other options like screen saving mode (another battery saving option decreasing screen reftesh rate) etc... that is the reason i prefer check reviews and only want to know how the device feels on your hand in a store... testing the device in a store may give false info because it probably runs some sort of a store profile...

and yes, i have graduated (m.sc.) myself and i can use Note irl. iPad Air was terrible, lost bt connection from time to time, unaccurate etc. Didnt like it at all with a pen. i eas considering sp3, but i7 models has this heat issue... waiting more info about a possible fix or a broadwell architecture...

Of course I close all opened apps. Battery mode is always in "normal" mode (never with the power saving option). The difference still is enough for me to not be able to write normally. But yes, usually they are plugged.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I haven't seen an input lag with Wacom or N Trig and I've used both to extensively take notes at my CE seminars, constant 8 hours at a time note taking, diagrams, PDF mark up, etc. In theory the Wacom hardware is better, supposedly Ntrig has a tiny bit of hover lag (gahhh no more lag discussions!!) but in practice I personally haven't noticed it. I believe it might affect an artist who specifically is drawing long, sweeping curved lines. The other issue with Ntrig is the pressure sensitivity is too low, so you have to press a bit harder than the Wacom, but at the same time the Ntrig has more levels of sensitivity. With that said Ntrig has promised new drivers along with hover lag fix and a way to adjust the pressure sensitivity, this is supposed to be released in October. There have already been updates to Ntrig that have helped function, but the one that truly matters will be the October update.

I'm not sure what engineering notes would look like, but I'd assume you would be writing a lot of diagrams, formulas, measurements, etc. IMO either would work super nicely for this. OneNote also calculates mathematical formulas and is quite powerful as a note taking device, much more so on the windows platform than on android. The instant sync is amazing, I have my notes instantly on every platform, home, work, phone, etc. You can search your handwritten notes, that in of itself is amazing. Embedding pictures, video, lecture audio, etc.

In any event I'd say the answer to your question would be yes. Personally I think Wacom would be a slightly better choice until October, then things may even out.

misslia

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I loved the commercial I own a note 3 had the note 2 might get the 4 I love the note series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.